Waldorf Blofeld - Anyone own one?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Aural Chaos wrote:
yotawaves wrote:Hi,
I was planning to buy this synth, but I am not sure what I want to do is possible: I have a USB MIDI keyboard that I bought recently, the Nektar Impact LX49 (very cheap one but it is quite good http://www.nektartech.com/Impact-LX49 (http://www.nektartech.com/Impact-LX49) )
It's a USB MIDI keyboard (not MIDI) so I have to connect it to the computer to play and it is also powered by USB.
You can guess my question, can I connect it to the Waldorf Blofeld USB input to play?
Does it make any sense?
I think the only way you'll be able to use that keyboard to control the Blofeld (or any other piece of hardware) is by plugging both it and the Blofeld into a computer, and then using a host or MIDI thru type app to route MIDI back through USB to the Blofeld.

Don't get me started on my opinion of MIDI controllers that lack 5 pin MIDI jacks....
Thanks. Yes, I think you are right. The other thing I was thinking is what about those USB-MIDI cable, couldn't it work? At the end of the day, the Blofeld just want MIDI input signal right?
I know it's bad they didn't put a real MIDI connection on that keyboard, but the price is so cheap.

It won't work, sorry to say. But, instead of going into a computer and back out, you could use this:

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/ ... host.shtml

ew
A spectral heretic...

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
ew wrote:It won't work, sorry to say. But, instead of going into a computer and back out, you could use this:

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/ ... host.shtml (http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml)

ew
Ohh nice, looks interesting! Thanks :)

ew wrote:It won't work, sorry to say. But, instead of going into a computer and back out, you could use this:

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/ ... host.shtml

ew
Good call. I was going to suggest the soon to be released iConnect MIDI4+, but it's kind of expensive overkill if all you need is a USB host.

Yes, I own three.
Two keyboards
one module.

I GAS'd over one before christmas. I stayed strong though. :D Thing is, the consequential costs... i'd need a new audio interface with audio inputs, cables, not to talk of the limitations with the hardware, programming such a complex thing via 5 knobs on the device is very cumbersome, and, working with a software editor, i could just work with Largo instead. Not to talk about 25 voices max (as opposed to 256 on ONE instance of Largo...), and the inability to have multiple instances. It's a nice synth for a very reasonable price, but, nah. The disadvantages simply outweigh the advantages for me. Maybe one day, when i get unreasonable enough. :P

I had one and hated it because the LFOs were not free running, was a deal breaker for me, being used to analogue modulars. Couldn't, for example, sequence an acid line and have the LFO slowly modulating the filter cutoff, as it would reset on every note on. Was told by Waldorf that it would be too CPU intensive to have the LFOs free running when not being used. So I sold it after a couple of months. I can't remember my MWXT having that problem, I dunno, perhaps it did.

Well, unisono is instances, if you wish.
The front panel is easy to memorize,
just like pi to 11 digits, and easy as pi!

To me, the Blofeld is a future classic,
and there will be people moaning how they did not
buy it in the years 2018 and beyond.

chk071 wrote:I GAS'd over one before christmas. I stayed strong though. :D Thing is, the consequential costs... i'd need a new audio interface with audio inputs, cables, not to talk of the limitations with the hardware, programming such a complex thing via 5 knobs on the device is very cumbersome, and, working with a software editor, i could just work with Largo instead. Not to talk about 25 voices max (as opposed to 256 on ONE instance of Largo...), and the inability to have multiple instances. It's a nice synth for a very reasonable price, but, nah. The disadvantages simply outweigh the advantages for me. Maybe one day, when i get unreasonable enough. :P

zaphod betamax wrote:Well, unisono is instances, if you wish.
The front panel is easy to memorize,
just like pi to 11 digits, and easy as pi!

To me, the Blofeld is a future classic,

chk071 wrote:I GAS'd over one before christmas. I stayed strong though. :D Thing is, the consequential costs... i'd need a new audio interface with audio inputs, cables, not to talk of the limitations with the hardware, programming such a complex thing via 5 knobs on the device is very cumbersome, and, working with a software editor, i could just work with Largo instead. Not to talk about 25 voices max (as opposed to 256 on ONE instance of Largo...), and the inability to have multiple instances. It's a nice synth for a very reasonable price, but, nah. The disadvantages simply outweigh the advantages for me. Maybe one day, when i get unreasonable enough. :P
I hope they revisit the Blofeld and add some knobs and outputs. And offer audio in to run audio through the PPG filter. I'd pay more for it, certainly.

zaphod betamax wrote: To me, the Blofeld is a future classic,
Actually, that's one point i also considered, the increase in value over time. Mh.. maybe when i have the money, i actually DO go for it. I'll think about it. :)

There are some design problems with them that shouldn't be overlooked such as the output going dead because of a resistor blowing and shotty encoders. The encoder problem I think was mostly addressed via software but I'm not sure if the output resistor issue was ever addressed?

The thing that really annoys me with Waldorf is they have probably the worst customer support in the business and that's saying something. It's notoriously bad and I witnessed it directly as I had some issues with Largo and later ppg v3 which were sort of fixed via the VST3 update but they wouldn't even respond let alone acknowledge my support tickets. They have virtually zero presence on forums and they definitely pi**ed me off by basically ignoring every support ticket I submitted through their website. Ingo gave me better support and advice than Waldorf which was zero.

I don't want to hijack with Waldorf bashing but I love the Waldorf sound and the blofeld has been on my radar but the sour taste in my mouth has kept me from buying anything else from them.

There are some legitimate criticisms of Waldorf. There are firmware issues with the Blofeld that took a long time to fix. For some folks these issues that, for example made the synth impossible to use in certain ways in live situations.

But I gotta say... Had mine nearly 10 years now, it's toured the world with me and never let me down.

Incredibly deep, powerful engine. Just watch the Jexus demos to get a feel for the range. I certainly agree its not without fault, but the synth has a ton going for it and sounds awesome.

transmetropolitan wrote:There are some legitimate criticisms of Waldorf. There are firmware issues with the Blofeld that took a long time to fix. For some folks these issues that, for example made the synth impossible to use in certain ways in live situations.

But I gotta say... Had mine nearly 10 years now, it's toured the world with me and never let me down.

Incredibly deep, powerful engine. Just watch the Jexus demos to get a feel for the range. I certainly agree its not without fault, but the synth has a ton going for it and sounds awesome.
same here.
yes, the old ones had shit encoders, and there is still the issue of glitchy delay if you ''sync'' it to midi clock, but everything else is fine, really.
oh, and the constant complains about the reverb sounding shit. well, if you need a reverb to sit your sound in a mix, you'll see that in your DAW or on the mixer/send return anyway, no? my point is, that reverb is actually gorgeous for the sound sculpting aspect of thing... instant pads when you use the blofeld's one. it sounds shitty if you expect realism, yes, but so do spring reverbs.... but the common thing? character aplenty....
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

Personally I find the effects just bad rather than characterful. It's the one real weakness imo.

I just turn em off, I've got other outboard options I like.

It's good that some people get something out of em though.

Programming is not very cumbersome at all, it has a very nice display and it's easy to jump around to whatever function you need, there's not too much that is buried.. Not sure what kind of music you do that you'd need more than 25 voices out of one synth, that is a veritable wall of sound even if you don't include other synths or instruments you are using. Multiple instances? It's 16 part multitimbral, not that I've really ever used it.

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious ; it is the
fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science.
-- Albert Einstein

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”