Waldorf Blofeld - Anyone own one?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sinkmusic wrote:It sounds great !
Did you process the sounds much, or is it "just" very well done ? :love:
Thanks. IIRC I did some compressing of the drum sounds. Occasionally a Little low cut EQ and a brickwall limiter on the Stereo sum.
Just what you do during mixing, the single sounds used only the internal FX.

Some more, this time with drums however from Stylus RMX:

http://www.trippler.net/files/blo/cramp.mp3
Just 5 Blofeld sounds.

http://www.trippler.net/files/blo/blosync2.mp3

VitaminD wrote:I agree. I found it on youtube after seeing elwood's comment and closed the browser window after about half way though. poor taste.
Bad judgement on my part, sorry about that.
aka Magellanic Milk >> iTunes >> Releases

Sounding good, DocT!

I'm a big fan of the Waldorf sound, but never enough to spend the cash on one of their classics. I went with a Virus too (C at the time) because I thought it was more versatile (the Blofeld wasn't out at the time) and later bought Komplexer which has that Waldorfish sound. When Waldorf released Largo I sold my copy of Komplexer and never looked back. I know it's not a 1:1 software version of the Blofeld, but it's a nice generous taste and has fantastic sound. I encourage everyone who craves that sound but is out of space and money to look into a Largo license. It's quite overlooked as a plug in instrument IMO. I still think about the Blofeld from time to time, but it just doesn't seem to offer enough extra "magic" to warrant the space on my desk. Great sound though. Also, Dr. T's factory presets for it are breathtaking. I'd pay for a Dr. T Largo preset bank in a heartbeat.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: I'd pay for a Dr. T Largo preset bank in a heartbeat.
+1000 :tu:

OK there is no way to just simply add one sample to the RAM besides the existing ones. I just tried it but Spectre warns that the existing sample content will be lost. So you need to build and send the complete set every time and keep track what is in the RAM already. I guess one can live with that.

And you have to be careful with presets that uses samples. If you load another sample set those presets will be screwed up.

zerocrossing wrote:I'm a big fan of the Waldorf sound, but never enough to spend the cash on one of their classics. I went with a Virus too (C at the time) because I thought it was more versatile (the Blofeld wasn't out at the time) and later bought Komplexer which has that Waldorfish sound. When Waldorf released Largo I sold my copy of Komplexer and never looked back. I know it's not a 1:1 software version of the Blofeld, but it's a nice generous taste and has fantastic sound. I encourage everyone who craves that sound but is out of space and money to look into a Largo license. It's quite overlooked as a plug in instrument IMO.
+1

Sounds absolutely great.

chk071 wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:I'm a big fan of the Waldorf sound, but never enough to spend the cash on one of their classics. I went with a Virus too (C at the time) because I thought it was more versatile (the Blofeld wasn't out at the time) and later bought Komplexer which has that Waldorfish sound. When Waldorf released Largo I sold my copy of Komplexer and never looked back. I know it's not a 1:1 software version of the Blofeld, but it's a nice generous taste and has fantastic sound. I encourage everyone who craves that sound but is out of space and money to look into a Largo license. It's quite overlooked as a plug in instrument IMO.
+1

Sounds absolutely great.
+1 on the Virus concept... not sure about Largo.
My friend Mark Mosher says largo is 98% blofeld, not to mention most parameters are compatible. But I don't know if the patches can be swapped or not.
At any rate... I bought the blofeld, and I'm "meh" about it. I like fuller sounds. This thing is FM/VA heaven for those into that sort of thing. (harshness)

lionscub68 wrote: At any rate... I bought the blofeld, and I'm "meh" about it. I like fuller sounds.
What's funny is that i thought exactly the same when i had the Blofeld here for 2 days. Admittedly i was just switching through the presets though, which could be the issue. Don't know if you already demo'd Largo, but if you didn't, you should give it a try. It sounds really fat, even with the usual VA sounds.

KungKrille wrote:And you have to be careful with presets that uses samples. If you load another sample set those presets will be screwed up.
Yeah, that too. I just transferred an 8-bit mono WAV test sample with loop points to my Blofeld destroying all the presets :) Not that it really worries me since I am just starting to create my own patches and the factory set can be transferred back again.
What is really nice about Spectre though is that it automatically detected the root note of that rather lo-fi sample and tuned it perfectly, so I think I might continue on the memory lane back to my Amiga days... :)

Edit: ok so I was going to transfer the factory set back but Spectre says it's going to take 18 minutes to transfer the content which is just short of 40% of the available RAM. So the slow transfer speed is something to consider when going nuts with samples.

elwood wrote:So the slow transfer speed is something to consider when going nuts with samples.
Lol yes, it's annoying when you discover you have done something wrong and have to wait for a long transfer again.

I have a piano here that you can try:
Skerratt London Piano

I have posted it before I think but it's now optimized for Blofeld - converted to 44.1/16 mono and shortened samples. It's my parents upright piano out of tune so don't expect too much. It sounds low compared to other samples so live with it or normalize.

I did work on the Kawai K1 samples today but have a problem with the last sample program. I'm trying to do a drum set with one sample/key but it doesn't work. Well, it sounds fine when you preview in Spectre but not on the Blofeld. It doesn't matter what root key I set. The samples are always transposed as if the root key is "60". Can't you have the same root key and highest key like this?

Code: Select all

<Sample Filename="k1_PCM_208_e_snare.wav" Path="D:\audio\kawaiK1_samples\kawaiK1_PCM_mono_16bit_normalized\k1_PCM_208_e_snare.wav" RelativePath="k1_PCM_208_e_snare.wav" Pitch="63.00" HighKey="63" Normalize="0" FixedPitch="0" Level="0.00"/>
Edit: Switched to code view
Last edited by KungKrille on Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I am still dreaming about an editor for the Blofeld allowing the user to easily drag & drop a batch of drum samples and converting it into a kit.
This way, I would use the bLofeld as a drum machine.
Spectre is too slow for this task, and i tried SkyLife SampleRobot, but really it is too convoluted for what i need :-o

sinkmusic wrote:I am still dreaming about an editor for the Blofeld allowing the user to easily drag & drop a batch of (drum) samples...
Spectre is too slow for this task...
It's not the Blofeld or Spectre that's slow.
That's the MIDI Sample Dump Standard that is slow.
We used to have to deal with that "speed"back with the old Akai samplers, unless you ponied up the extra cash to get a SCSI interface for the Akai and your Mac.
Dem was the olde days, sonny boy.

Sorry, i wasn't clear.
I was not talking about transfering data, but Spectre's workflow is slow (for setting up a drumkit to export it as a sample).

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”