Novation Bass Station 2

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whitecloud wrote:How so/elaborate re: Rocket
It's a melding of digital oscillators with an analog filter, similar to the Q+.

Here's another Novation demo. I used FX this time -- it takes to them quite well.

https://soundcloud.com/inside-synthesis ... station-ii

faun2500 wrote:

Thanks very much for the detailed reply! :)

Good video. I can hear a difference between the 2 but I think this is because you matched the panel and not the sound. If you were going by ear I think they could of been much closer. I actually liked the sound of the mini in this video.
Haha, yes, this is exactly why I stated the disclaimer in my post and in the video description... That was not the point of the video.

We wanted to do a comparison that was using real classic MS-20 sounds to compare. Everyone else is doing very basic patches and lowpassing the mini to make them sound alike. The truth is that they do not sound alike in actual usage... You can make nearly every analog synth sound alike by doing very simple patches and tweaking them to opposite spectrums - but that's not the point of an exact replica - is it?

:)

FreqStatus wrote: We wanted to do a comparison that was using real classic MS-20 sounds to compare. Everyone else is doing very basic patches and lowpassing the mini to make them sound alike. The truth is that they do not sound alike in actual usage... You can make nearly every analog synth sound alike by doing very simple patches and tweaking them to opposite spectrums - but that's not the point of an exact replica - is it?
To my ears, it seemed to suggest that your MS20 needs a tune up. When was the last time it was serviced?

FreqStatus wrote:
faun2500 wrote:

Thanks very much for the detailed reply! :)

Good video. I can hear a difference between the 2 but I think this is because you matched the panel and not the sound. If you were going by ear I think they could of been much closer. I actually liked the sound of the mini in this video.
Haha, yes, this is exactly why I stated the disclaimer in my post and in the video description... That was not the point of the video.

We wanted to do a comparison that was using real classic MS-20 sounds to compare. Everyone else is doing very basic patches and lowpassing the mini to make them sound alike. The truth is that they do not sound alike in actual usage... You can make nearly every analog synth sound alike by doing very simple patches and tweaking them to opposite spectrums - but that's not the point of an exact replica - is it?

:)
I agree, Its not. I'm less interest in the mini now I have heard the Pulse 2! lol

Even less interested in the BSII now I have heard that too. ;)
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

faun2500 wrote:I agree, Its not. I'm less interest in the mini now I have heard the Pulse 2! lol

I know what you're saying -- the BS2 is a bit digital sounding, and the Pulse is simply huge.

For me, the fun and pleasure of using a synth isn't just the sound -- it's how much I gel with the interface. I could never get into the Pulse. Tried it. Just couldn't do it.

I'm really enjoying the BS2. There's something about it, they really thought about the design a lot. It may not be the biggest bass in the world, but it fulfills other kinds of basses -- sharp, plasticy, squelchy, etc -- that the Pulse can't.

If I want huge base, I'll just whip out the ol' Minimoog. It's big and way warmer than the Pulse.

williamh wrote: For me, the fun and pleasure of using a synth isn't just the sound -- it's how much I gel with the interface. I could never get into the Pulse. Tried it. Just couldn't do it.

I'm really enjoying the BS2. There's something about it, they really thought about the design a lot. It may not be the biggest bass in the world, but it fulfills other kinds of basses -- sharp, plasticy, squelchy, etc -- that the Pulse can't.
The Pulse 2 is different, both the interface and also with the new additions to the sound engine (e.g. Multimode filter).

You could try to check it at your local music shop when it's out.

Analog sound is not just about great low end, it could be also fun to use e.g. a Bandpass filter or Highpass filter (also available with the Bass station II).

Real analog monosynths with a multimode filter seem to be quite rare, especially with vintage synths (e.g. SEM, Yamaha CS range or Roland SH-5).

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

williamh wrote:
faun2500 wrote:I agree, Its not. I'm less interest in the mini now I have heard the Pulse 2! lol

I know what you're saying -- the BS2 is a bit digital sounding, and the Pulse is simply huge.

For me, the fun and pleasure of using a synth isn't just the sound -- it's how much I gel with the interface. I could never get into the Pulse. Tried it. Just couldn't do it.

If I want huge base, I'll just whip out the ol' Minimoog. It's big and way warmer than the Pulse.
Reassuring to know its not just me that thinks it a bit digital sounding. If you have it and say that then I will take your word for it! :)

I agree though, all synth's have their place! You don't always want deep and muddy and then apply a shit load of eq! lol. I often think that the DSI tetra is very bright and harsh. Still, analogue synths have that 3d sound that is easy to mix.

Still love hearing all the feedback from users of theie hardware synths. They all have so much character... :love:
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

williamh wrote:
faun2500 wrote:I'm really enjoying the BS2. There's something about it, they really thought about the design a lot. It may not be the biggest bass in the world, but it fulfills other kinds of basses -- sharp, plasticy, squelchy, etc -- that the Pulse can't.
Agreed. I use my Pulse when I want that sound and my Bass Station Rack when I want that sound. One doesn't replace the other.

In this video I give my impressions of it and do a song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrZMfCPvbBM

tested pretty much all new analog releases.
the bassstation2 was by far the most impressive and character sounding of the bunch to me (based on actually making sounds with it and not based on the poor impression the generic EDM presets give).
if it had Roland written at the back and if it had been produced around 1982-1984 it would be worth at least wtice the price.
it has definitely THAT sound.
the filters ...both the OTA one (roland type) and the ladder one (moogish) are really nice. the DCOs are well implemented and (no thinning piercing sound like in other cheaper implementations) .
pretty much fully featured for a monosynth with the usual stuff you'd expect (ring modulation instead of oscillator fm though...but there's filter Fm) .
the VCA distortion is a bit shitty (the one on the pulse 2 is better) but still somehow usable..although better to use just a plugin or guitar pedal for that imo.
and last but not least it is also a damn pretty good midi controller: only 25 keys but decent and with aftertouch, all 20+ knobs send midi cc, light and portable and usb powered.
a must buy imo.

olikana wrote:tested pretty much all new analog releases.
the bassstation2 was by far the most impressive and character sounding of the bunch to me (based on actually making sounds with it and not based on the poor impression the generic EDM presets give).
if it had Roland written at the back and if it had been produced around 1982-1984 it would be worth at least wtice the price.
it has definitely THAT sound.
the filters ...both the OTA one (roland type) and the ladder one (moogish) are really nice. the DCOs are well implemented and (no thinning piercing sound like in other cheaper implementations) .
pretty much fully featured for a monosynth with the usual stuff you'd expect (ring modulation instead of oscillator fm though...but there's filter Fm) .
the VCA distortion is a bit shitty (the one on the pulse 2 is better) but still somehow usable..although better to use just a plugin or guitar pedal for that imo.
and last but not least it is also a damn pretty good midi controller: only 25 keys but decent and with aftertouch, all 20+ knobs send midi cc, light and portable and usb powered.
a must buy imo.
Interesting. Just how do you approach programming the BS2 opposed to those factory
presets? The reason for me asking is I plan on ordering one today or in a day or 2. I would flip through the factory sounds, tweak the controls and see if everything works them start making presets from the init patches.

whitecloud wrote:Interesting. Just how do you approach programming the BS2 opposed to those factory presets? The reason for me asking is I plan on ordering one today or in a day or 2. I would flip through the factory sounds, tweak the controls and see if everything works them start making presets from the init patches.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean?

You just start with an INIT patch and then choose oscillator types, pitch, sync, volume, modulations (env and lfo), ring mod, noise amount etc., then move onto the filter section... type, slope, res, cutoff, modulations (env and lfo) etc. until you have the sound you want. Then add any effects (distortion, Filter Mod) and set your performance controls, arpeggiator, mod wheel, aftertouch etc.

To be honest you may as well just delete the factory presets and make your own. The Bass Station 2 is super inuitive to program. It's so easy to come up with some great basses, leads and drums. I filled about 20 slots within a few days of owning it. Would rather have the space for my own creations :)

I have an old MC-202 (same sound as the SH-101) and the Bass Station 2 can sound very similar (if you want it too) and is far more flexible (except for it's sequencer which can't do accents and slides). It's definately a keeper!

iDesignSound wrote:
whitecloud wrote:Interesting. Just how do you approach programming the BS2 opposed to those factory presets? The reason for me asking is I plan on ordering one today or in a day or 2. I would flip through the factory sounds, tweak the controls and see if everything works them start making presets from the init patches.

You just start with an INIT patch and then choose oscillator types, pitch, sync, volume, modulations (env and lfo), ring mod, noise amount etc., then move onto the filter section... type, slope, res, cutoff, modulations (env and lfo) etc. until you have the sound you want. Then add any effects (distortion, Filter Mod) and set your performance controls, arpeggiator, mod wheel, aftertouch etc.

To be honest you may as well just delete the factory presets and make your own. The Bass Station 2 is super inuitive to program. It's so easy to come up with some great basses, leads and drums. I filled about 20 slots within a few days of owning it. Would rather have the space for my own creations :)

I have an old MC-202 (same sound as the SH-101) and the Bass Station 2 can sound very similar (if you want it too) and is far more flexible (except for it's sequencer which can't do accents and slides). It's definately a keeper!
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I do know how to program subtractive synths from scratch
like init patches. My question was not how to do so. What I am asking is how you feel Novation screwed up as far as their factory sounds and how you made your own presets that were better. Did they program with the limiter or Distortion way up and or cheesy arps and patterns etc. Basically I am asking for more specifics regarding those factory presets. In some cases i might modify some of those as well as starting over with the user init programs. Hope this is more clear and easier for you to reply to.

whitecloud wrote:
iDesignSound wrote:

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I do know how to program subtractive synths from scratch
like init patches. My question was not how to do so. What I am asking is how you feel Novation screwed up as far as their factory sounds and how you made your own presets that were better. Did they program with the limiter or Distortion way up and or cheesy arps and patterns etc. Basically I am asking for more specifics regarding those factory presets. In some cases i might modify some of those as well as starting over with the user init programs. Hope this is more clear and easier for you to reply to.
Some of the factory patches are very good, I have tweaked a few myself(to get even closer to the sound I wanted from them) and saved them over some of the empty init patches(70+), the only thing I don't like on the synth is the distortion and overdrive(which appears on some of the factory sounds), it makes the synth sound more digital with them on.

My friend who has owned many analogues over the years, made a comparison of the sound being close to the SH-101, he even said he'd like one for gigging with.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”