Waldorf Pulse 2: officially released (OS updated to v1.18)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

djcusht wrote:Hey guys, So I bought the Pulse 2 as my first hardware synth, and loving playing around with it. Great sounds so far. I'm using it as an external instrument in Ableton.

Now, I suspect using a hardware synth will introduce a couple different workflows, rather than previously when I had everything 'in the box'....

I've read through almost this entire thread, but still have a couple questions, which I'm hoping you guys can help me with:

1. I'm assuming as it's a monosynth, I can only have it function in 'Single Mode', correct? ie, once I want to use the Pulse 2 to create another sound in a track, I need to bounce the original to audio?
Yes that is correct.
2. And this is the biggy...
Can I get Ableton to map the tweaks that I do on the synth's knobs? I'm assuming this would be done through CC, but my understanding of midi is pretty limited. Essentially, I'd like to hit record in ableton, with the midi notes already written, then tweak various parameters on the Pulse 2, and have Ableton record those in some way, so I can then tweak if required, before bouncing to audio. This can be done through automation lanes with VSTis, and I've seen it might be doable through midi envelopes with the Pulse 2, but I've not managed it so far.
Unless you get an editor for it then you will have to use CC automation, which is done in clip and can't be done via sequencer automation lanes. (It also means the CC parameters aren't named, which can make things more confusing)

If you buy a Pulse 2 editor, then you will have named sequencer automation lanes just like in a software synth.

Do you have Max4Live? If so, I recommend this editor: http://filthyfilterz.com/

If not, you could try this one which has a VST: http://synthmania.de/2013/11/waldorf-pu ... e-und-vst/

Guys...there is(for some time now) neat little device for m4l which will basically give you eight (8) CC controls (you can define names and cc numbers on it) with which you can automate anything FROM the sequencer window itself. Working just as any other automation. Will work in clip mode too - obviously

kmonkey wrote:Guys...there is(for some time now) neat little device for m4l which will basically give you eight (8) CC controls (you can define names and cc numbers on it) with which you can automate anything FROM the sequencer window itself. Working just as any other automation. Will work in clip mode too - obviously
Nice. I was looking for one but couldn't find one. What's it called?

Still though, the benefit of using an editor is automatic parameter naming, no set up, instant patch recall with your project, and a GUI, which can be particularly handy when using a synth like the Pulse 2.

Plus bonuses like instant patch morphing and easier arp editing.

djcusht wrote:1. I'm assuming as it's a monosynth, I can only have it function in 'Single Mode', correct? ie, once I want to use the Pulse 2 to create another sound in a track, I need to bounce the original to audio?
Hi
As far as i understand your question, it is not related to being monophonic, but monotimbral.
To have several "layers/sounds" playing different tracks, you would need a multitimbral synth (like the Blofeld).
I hope that helps.

barryfell wrote:
kmonkey wrote:Guys...there is(for some time now) neat little device for m4l which will basically give you eight (8) CC controls (you can define names and cc numbers on it) with which you can automate anything FROM the sequencer window itself. Working just as any other automation. Will work in clip mode too - obviously

Still though, the benefit of using an editor is automatic parameter naming, no set up, instant patch recall with your project, and a GUI, which can be particularly handy when using a synth like the Pulse 2.

Well you can do all that assuming that you will have to group and map two or three of these devices i am mentioning. For sure having one panel with dedicated and labelled controls right from start is neat - no doubt about it - i am just merely tryin to say that it's already possible and with this device you can use it for plenty of other hardware synths.

Here it is

http://roberthenke.com/technology/m4l.html - it's called ControlChange8 -

kmonkey wrote:
barryfell wrote:

Well you can do all that assuming that you will have to group and map two or three of these devices i am mentioning. For sure having one panel with dedicated and labelled controls right from start is neat - no doubt about it - i am just merely tryin to say that it's already possible and with this device you can use it for plenty of other hardware synths.
Yeah you can do some parts of course, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth if an editor is available. Especially since it won't be able to send/receive patches for instant recall.

Still though, a useful tool for hardware that there isn't. :)
Here it is

Thanks

Edit: Plus it's no use if the synth uses SysEx rather than CC, which is a shame since i'd like to have used it for automation of my Matrix 1000.

barryfell wrote:
kmonkey wrote:
barryfell wrote:

Yeah you can do some parts of course, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth if an editor is available. Especially since it won't be able to send/receive patches for instant recall.

Here it is

Thanks

Edit: Plus it's no use if the synth uses SysEx rather than CC, which is a shame since i'd like to have used it for automation of my Matrix 1000.
You can always build panel by yourself in m4live - with sysex support.

For controlling my Oberheim M1000 i am using SoundQuest editor. Keep in minf that MAtrix 1000 midi is a bit buggy on random occasions so don't be suprised if you get some notes hang if you plan to do a lot of automation. I am having best results when i assign parameter to mod wheel and automate modwheel. In other words - automating a lot of Obi parameters via external panel will get you troubles..

edit: Assuming that your synth/gear does have it's own preset saving system (something which nearly every decent synth have) - you are able to send program patch/preset recall - via ableton midi clip so it's not a showstopper.

kmonkey wrote:
barryfell wrote:
kmonkey wrote:
barryfell wrote:

Here it is

Thanks

You can always build panel by yourself in m4live - with sysex support.
Yes that could be a project to investigate. I've never built anything in M4L. I do have an editor for it for Ctrl that i'm currently using, so i'm inclined to stay using that. The only trouble is that it won't allow automation of the VCF, and changing it on the GUI makes it stutter.
For controlling my Oberheim M1000 i am using SoundQuest editor. Keep in minf that MAtrix 1000 midi is a bit buggy on random occasions so don't be suprised if you get some notes hang if you plan to do a lot of automation. I am having best results when i assign parameter to mod wheel and automate modwheel. In other words - automating a lot of Obi parameters via external panel will get you troubles..
Somebody mentioned that to me in the past, but i've read it has issues so i've never wanted to spend the cash to find out if it works or not.

Does its VST functionality work with Live for you?
edit: Assuming that your synth/gear does have it's own preset saving system (something which nearly every decent synth have) - you are able to send program patch/preset recall - via ableton midi clip so it's not a showstopper.
True, but I have had issues with this with Live so tend to avoid it.

Here's a rather new Pulse 2 video that won Waldorf's Monthly Video Contest. May have to watch it's less than few minutes a couple times to catch everything. The stipulations are that it has to be about Waldorf gear and all music/sounds must come from same. Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwd9ccZHgaQ

Hi all, are there some useable Presets/SysEx for Waldorf Pulse 2 in the new Sound Quest Midi Quest 11 Pro ? i would try it, but hope to hear from some experienced users here first :) thx

The Pulse 2 is incredibly easy to program your own "useable sounds" simply using the factory presets as 'starting points'...and quite frankly, think Waldorf did a fantastic job in all the different Sound Designer's contributions that make-up those presets.

maniacoli wrote:Hi all, are there some useable Presets/SysEx for Waldorf Pulse 2 in the new Sound Quest Midi Quest 11 Pro ? i would try it, but hope to hear from some experienced users here first :) thx
Sound Quest 11 Pro doesn't have the Pulse 2.

New update for the SynnyS Pulse 2 editor.
changelog from v1.1 to 2.0

this is only for the maxforlive device:

- fully compatible and optimised for push
- saving sounds in your ableton live set has been restored
- some minor GUI changes

Ordered my Pulse 2 and should come tomorrow with a nice Art DI box. :)

Is the screen still a big number or have they sorted that yet? Every single review I have read or watched has criticized the big patch number so hopefully waldorf will listen.
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

Have had my Pulse 2 for almost 2 weeks now and although *I* was critical of the large patch number using display space upon its release; in use, it does give you quite enough feedback for editing but would still say it would be nice to draw envelopes, etc. as on Blofeld screen, which is actually a little smaller screen than Pulse 2.
However, compared to my Waldorf Pulse+ rack unit's three LED display, it's pure luxury as it is implemented.
The Pulse 2 *sound* and immense routing/programming options have made me 'forgive' those larger than life program numbers. The whole display IS USED for detailed editing of ARP patterns and mod matrix. Love it!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”