Ableton Push.. How is it?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Push

Still like mine, though I need to get PXT because I'm using studio one more these days.

I just got one and set it up... maybe it's going back. :roll: I was really excited about it, but the way they implement aftertouch makes it unusable. Each pad starts sending aftertouch with the pad hit! In other words, if you have a lead sound where you modulate the filter cutoff with aftertouch, you'll hear your filter start opening up as soon as you hit the note! What about "after" doesn't Ableton understand?! In some instruments you can set the modulation amount up small so it's a bit usable, but for something like a Sub Phatty that has aftertouch fixed to filter cut off (btw, why is this Moog?) in a non controllable amount, it becomes unplayable when you're triggering it with Push.

A simple way to set an aftertouch sensitivity parameter would fix this, but I see on the Push forum people have been complaining about this since at least March with no response from Ableton. I sent in a support request. I hope the answer is good, as if it isn't Push won't work for me at all.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:I just got one and set it up... maybe it's going back. :roll: I was really excited about it, but the way they implement aftertouch makes it unusable. Each pad starts sending aftertouch with the pad hit! In other words, if you have a lead sound where you modulate the filter cutoff with aftertouch, you'll hear your filter start opening up as soon as you hit the note! What about "after" doesn't Ableton understand?! In some instruments you can set the modulation amount up small so it's a bit usable, but for something like a Sub Phatty that has aftertouch fixed to filter cut off (btw, why is this Moog?) in a non controllable amount, it becomes unplayable when you're triggering it with Push.

A simple way to set an aftertouch sensitivity parameter would fix this, but I see on the Push forum people have been complaining about this since at least March with no response from Ableton. I sent in a support request. I hope the answer is good, as if it isn't Push won't work for me at all.
QuNexus does this too - I hardly use it - the poly aftertouch sounded nice on paper but the implementation makes it so hard to play musically I tend to turn it off and just use it as a basic iPad controller.

zerocrossing wrote:I just got one and set it up... maybe it's going back. :roll: I was really excited about it, but the way they implement aftertouch makes it unusable. Each pad starts sending aftertouch with the pad hit! In other words, if you have a lead sound where you modulate the filter cutoff with aftertouch, you'll hear your filter start opening up as soon as you hit the note! What about "after" doesn't Ableton understand?! In some instruments you can set the modulation amount up small so it's a bit usable, but for something like a Sub Phatty that has aftertouch fixed to filter cut off (btw, why is this Moog?) in a non controllable amount, it becomes unplayable when you're triggering it with Push.

I understand your issue but i SWEAR i saw youtube videos where this works correctly. Maybe it's a m4live hack or some addon plugin or something entirely different but i am sure i saw performance where user press button, and hold it and then when button is pressed he press it "after", i mean he push it further and filter open/close...

Please let us know here, what Ableton support told you hear.

I won't be surprised if i imagined this but i think i saw it working correctly on youtube...

aMUSEd wrote:

QuNexus does this too - I hardly use it - the poly aftertouch sounded nice on paper but the implementation makes it so hard to play musically I tend to turn it off and just use it as a basic iPad controller.
Don't get me started with McMillen Instruments. I had their original Softstep and it was a buggy piece of junk. Sent it right back.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

hibidy wrote:I wonder if this helps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SREF-FXS7s
Thanks Hibidy, I did come across that but I don't have Ableton Live Suite so I think I can't use Max For Live Plugs... or can I? I saw in the forum someone said, "This needs to be addressed for those of us who don't have Max For Live." I believe everything I read in forums. :oops:
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote:

Thanks Hibidy, I did come across that but I don't have Ableton Live Suite so I think I can't use Max For Live Plugs... or can I? I saw in the forum someone said, "This needs to be addressed for those of us who don't have Max For Live." I believe everything I read in forums. :oops:
Of course you should. Everything on the internet is true. WTF, why doubt that? :hihi:

The forum is correct... you need M4L to use M4L devices. And hopefully they do address it soon in future iterations of Live because otherwise, the Push/Live combo is just dreamy (I have my wish list for improvement too, but still dreamy IMO).

elxsound wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:

Of course you should. Everything on the internet is true. WTF, why doubt that? :hihi:

The forum is correct... you need M4L to use M4L devices. And hopefully they do address it soon in future iterations of Live because otherwise, the Push/Live combo is just dreamy (I have my wish list for improvement too, but still dreamy IMO).
I just kinda assumed you had suite, sorry.

hibidy wrote:
elxsound wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:

How dare you think I own every bit of software that's released! I only buy every other one these days! :help:

:lol: It's OK. I've been avoiding Suite because I don't care about the sample content and I wish they'd just sell me M4L. $300 seems like a lot just for M4L, especially considering there isn't any pressing need for it that I can think of, other than getting Push to work like it should.

It's especially irritating because other than that, the pads feel good and I generally like Push... though, I do kind of wish it had both a pitch and mod slider... and better more Novation like support for 3rd party plug ins.

Let's face it. I got it to be a poor man's Madrona Soundplane. :oops: I wasn't expecting it to really be a Soundplane, but I was blindsided by an implementation of aftertouch that was clearly never tested by an actual musician. It's not like I don't still have a MIDI keyboard with great aftertouch. I was just hoping that this would be a good way to get the creative juices flowing.

For general beat production tasks, it's da'bomb as my young friends say. I had it running my Nord Drum 2 and I like it a lot more than Maschine for such tasks. I just don't think I would have purchased it just for that... and not it seems like I'll have to wait until Live fixes it... or I cave and buy Suite... which then makes it quite an expensive controller at $890. M4L better do some f'n tricks other than make Push work correctly. :evil:
Zerocrossing Media

Oh hello, there's this:

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... gic-carpet

Just that alone is bound to be worth $300! :cry:
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote:
hibidy wrote:
elxsound wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:

How dare you think I own every bit of software that's released! I only buy every other one these days! :help:

:lol: It's OK. I've been avoiding Suite because I don't care about the sample content and I wish they'd just sell me M4L. $300 seems like a lot just for M4L, especially considering there isn't any pressing need for it that I can think of, other than getting Push to work like it should.
M4L has always been expensive and, I agree, the rest of the stuff that comes with suite isn't all that valuable by itself. Some of it is really useful though. I do find Sampler, for example, quite useful.
It's especially irritating because other than that, the pads feel good and I generally like Push... though, I do kind of wish it had both a pitch and mod slider... and better more Novation like support for 3rd party plug ins.
Yes, two sliders would have been great. I would settle for the slider at least being easily programmable.
Let's face it. I got it to be a poor man's Madrona Soundplane. :oops: I wasn't expecting it to really be a Soundplane, but I was blindsided by an implementation of aftertouch that was clearly never tested by an actual musician. It's not like I don't still have a MIDI keyboard with great aftertouch. I was just hoping that this would be a good way to get the creative juices flowing.
I actually think that it is that. I often just disable aftertouch, or, reduce it's impact dramatically such that it behaves pretty much like I expect it to.
For general beat production tasks, it's da'bomb as my young friends say. I had it running my Nord Drum 2 and I like it a lot more than Maschine for such tasks. I just don't think I would have purchased it just for that... and not it seems like I'll have to wait until Live fixes it... or I cave and buy Suite... which then makes it quite an expensive controller at $890. M4L better do some f'n tricks other than make Push work correctly. :evil:
Being able to play on a 2D keyboard with programmable scales, a poor mans orthogonal keyboard, has a lot of value to me. To be clear, I think M4L is useful, but it might not be for you. I don't use any M4L synths regularly, it's not really as good as Reaktor in terms of the user library. I use it quite a bit to create user interfaces for my synths, including hardware, that sit nicely in the rack. I also use to to make UIs for some Reaktor tools.

zerocrossing wrote:Let's face it. I got it to be a poor man's Madrona Soundplane. :oops: I wasn't expecting it to really be a Soundplane, but I was blindsided by an implementation of aftertouch that was clearly never tested by an actual musician. It's not like I don't still have a MIDI keyboard with great aftertouch. I was just hoping that this would be a good way to get the creative juices flowing.
I just stopped using AT with Push... I use an expression pedal instead, which I often like better anyway...

I'm a relatively simple live user. Push allows me to muddle through my slop with relative ease. The tempo, swing, controllers (which even with 3rd party is easier to set up than my impulse usually) pads, scene changes (huge being all in one) and the quantize all make it a no-brainer for me.

But it has some limitations. For example, my biggest beef is that if you record a midi clip and want to overdub from push, the metronome won't have a precount. It's actually really annoying. Having max, I just filter out aftertouch (which I hate) when its there. I turn aftertouch OFF in studio one. I just find it the most irritating non-functional "how do people use this" mess.

I can't play sustained notes on the thing without bouncing. It's probably my technique, but I tried quite a bit to get used to it and can't. I can't do much other than finger drumming on it.

Curiously, some instruments are worse than others, so maybe it's aftertouch that is causing me trouble. I had just assumed it was re-triggering notes. With Pianoteq, I get occasional bounced notes, but Shreddage II is unplayable. I can sometimes press a pad a dozen times and get only one or two sustained notes, and the rest bounce. Depending on articulation and settings in Shreddage, the second hit turns the note off, so I get very short guitar stabs instead of sustained notes.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”