Ableton Push.. How is it?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Push

Now that you guys have one.. how is it? thoughts?

Theres a free Apple App now that emulates it FYI
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I got one with the first shipment. I really liked it, I enjoyed the hands on controls again (admittedly another controller could have given me this too).

However, it made me realise I missed hardware gear and wanted to get back in to my neglected hardware synths again, so I sold it and Live to help fund some Elektron gear.
Some of my music Soundcloud Goseba

I liked it a lot, very hands on. You can jam for hours without looking at the screen... if you dont use VST's.

Actually it has made me use less my vst's synths, there are work arounds but they are a PITA, specially changing patches. (Controlling parameters is fine once you configure them).

The melodic step sequencer combined with the in key mode is awesome, instant gratification for composing.

Other problem for me is that it's so much fun that I don't play my keyboard :(

So, if you don't know to play keys, you want to get away a little bit form the computer and you don't have many midi controllers it's without a doubt a very good investment.
dedication to flying

Hey guys
This will solve the Vst problem rod is referring to - especially with regard to browsing, loading up, controlling and automating factory presets of popular Vsts from Push.

For browsing, loading and controlling Vsts instantly from Push you can check out various packs on the market, including ours (For DIVA, Sylenth, Modular V and Mini V) and Audiomodder's (KU9 and some others)

Our website is at http://mabelton.myshopify.com/
Theirs is audiomodder.com
Cheers
Stevie

memyselfandus wrote:Now that you guys have one.. how is it? thoughts?
Fantastic. I don't think any ipad app can do it justice unless you're just launching clips. The velocity and pressure sensitivity of an 8x8 grid of pads is what makes it awesome. The scales feature makes this incredibly useful. I've moved my keyboard off my desk, I still have the piano to the side, but I mostly just use push.

Yeah... Push is awesome... I may get a Livid Base to go along with it... then I can use one for triggering clips and one for playing notes... or one for playing notes and one for sequencing...

I also want the 8 touch strips in the Livid. They work like motorized faders and can be used for modulation in ways that rotary knobs cannot... for example you can jump between values... it is also easy to touch 2-3 sliders at once with one hand which you cannot do with knobs.

Push alone is enough for composing... but I have been exploring doing more realtime stuff and thus the Livid.

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Theres a free Apple App now that emulates it FYI
Do you have a link? Thank you.

raikard233 wrote:
No app could come close to using Push itself...

pdxindy wrote:
raikard233 wrote:
No app could come close to using Push itself...
I was curious, that's why I asked for.

Last edited by lofty on Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I love Push. I do have the Lemur iPad app as well, but you just can't replace the tactile experience of hitting actual pads. Not to mention the velocity and aftertouch. But in a more subtle way, you can have your fingertips resting on the pads, waiting for the moment to tap them, whereas on the iPad you can't make contact with the screen without triggering a pad.

The melodic keyboard mode is what sold me on it. I've been playing piano for (gulp) almost 40 years, and I'm somewhat competent at it. Push is a completely different experience, and I'm all about exploring different workflows and interfaces. The in key mode make it impossible to hit a wrong note, but more importantly, it can steer me into some melodic directions which I wouldn't normally have considered.

The pads are great for playing drum parts, although I still think I prefer the feel of my Korg padKontrol. And of course clip launching is much more enjoyable with a button matrix. I've been meaning to try a combination of Push for musical input and iPad for clip launching, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

lofty wrote:It's a LEMUR ipad template called "shove"
Well, that's a lot different than a "Free Apple App".

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... ilit=+push

I ended up with one and feel pretty strongly it's a must have IF live is your primary daw. I know that it can work with other hosts, but I use like as my number one.

Also, this thread has some info:

hibidy wrote:http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... ilit=+push

I ended up with one and feel pretty strongly it's a must have IF live is your primary daw. I know that it can work with other hosts, but I use like as my number one.

Also, this thread has some info:

I'm going to say that it's so good that if Live is your secondary daw, that push may "push" you into making it your primary daw.

Do not underestimate the choice to have 8x8 velocity sensitive pads. It is a lot different from using a 4x4 grid of pads in the same way. It's also a lot different from uxing 8x8 non velocity sensitive pads.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”