New Roland "DANCE" hardware- AIRA TR-8, TB-3, VT-3, SYSTEM-1

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Kriminal wrote:Still no System-1 in the shops to try....
http://www.andertons.co.uk/synths-amp-w ... esizer.asp

30 June.

Apologies if we already knew this. And admittedly this is availability date which may or may not be the same as the first demo shipments.

Basically then I've just added nothing :oops:
yeah, i was hoping to demo one sooner... but its ok, i need to stop spending.... bought 2 more synths this week already :hihi:

Kriminal wrote:yeah, i was hoping to demo one sooner... but its oi need to stop spending.... bought 2 more synths this week already :hihi:
:shock:

Sounds like you're the new roblee.
Speaking of whom, I do miss round these parts.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Kriminal wrote:yeah, i was hoping to demo one sooner... but its oi need to stop spending.... bought 2 more synths this week already :hihi:
:shock:

Sounds like you're the new roblee.
Speaking of whom, I do miss round these parts.

Not quite....i plan on keeping them :hihi: (they were cheap casio's anyway, for old times sake... VL-1 and HT3000)

Kriminal wrote:Not quite....i plan on keeping them :hihi:
:lol:
Kriminal wrote:for old times sake... VL-1 and HT3000)
Sentimentality. Naught wrong with that.

Mushy Mushy wrote:
there is if you ask ghettosynth

dcfac73 wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:
there is if you ask ghettosynth
Mate don't bring me into your little lovers tiff ;) :lol:

it's all good. If you can't argue on the internet, then where can you?

BTW, just saw some demos of the System 1- that looks better than I first thought. It doesn't sound quite analogue though. It's got a fresher kind of sound. Looking for a new synth too...currently tossing up between Pulse 2 or Tetra. Might have to add this to the list.

ZenPunkHippy wrote:There is a surprisingly large number of users out there who do not use computers at all in their set up. Strictly 100% hardware. Not necessarily "hardware snobs" (although I think many would fall in to that category).
Of course, that was me until the mid noughties. I used a computer for sequencing in the studio, but live it was all hardware.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

It's anecdote time;; I've seen plenty of my musical heroes who've been rocking the 808 for years if not decades, constantly gigging, releasing tunes solely on wax.. praise the tr-8 {after buying one with their own dough i.e they're not shilling} and say they will be performing with it in the future, though keeping the vintage model for the studio. Who can argue with Egyptian Lover, for example ? On the other hand I've seen random strangers who's music blows {imo}, who don't gig, and who's idea of publishing their music is their soundcloud account with approx 15 plays on each track - one play per follower... slate these things as a travesty.

anecdotal conclusion;; basement dwellers with neckbeards are hard to please.

:D

ChiTown24 wrote:It's anecdote time;; I've seen plenty of my musical heroes who've been rocking the 808 for years if not decades, constantly gigging, releasing tunes solely on wax.. praise the tr-8 {after buying one with their own dough i.e they're not shilling} and say they will be performing with it in the future, though keeping the vintage model for the studio. Who can argue with Egyptian Lover, for example ?
Egyptian Lover is stuck in the 80s, if that's your thing, of course the 808 is all you need.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote:You're just making my case that it is a retro piece and not a contemporary piece.
Cool! Glad to be of service. Though, I gotta admit, I skimmed past your debate with..himalaya was it ? Because I find it utterly inane. So, you know, it certainly wasn't my intention to join that debate. But hey I guess I did mention neckbeards so maybe it's reasonable you should assume I'm addressing you specifically or something :D
ghettosynth wrote: What exactly do you think that I mean by party like it's 1999 (well really, 1983 for the 808, 1993 for the 909 and the 808 second coming)? If all you use is either 808 or 909 sounds and you manipulate them live like they did way back when, then you will love the TR8.
I don't think anything about what you meant by that...cos I never noticed you saying it. see above. Though hey... "If all you use is either 808 or 909 sounds and you manipulate them live like they did way back when, then you will love the TR8." is certainly not at odds with my anecdote ... so, uh, thanks ? we agree ? cool!
ghettosynth wrote: Nothing like that is hot in the charts, or hot in the underground. If it is, tell me where, tell me who up and coming is doing minimal live gigs with drum machines and acid boxes because I want to support it.
hot in the charts ? hot in the underground ? lol ... we're clearly on different wavelengths mate. Besides, I didn't realise I implied Egyptian Lover was contemporary ? He's certainly stuck in his own vibe, 80's, whatever...when I go to an Egyptian Lover gig I know EXACTLY what to expect...'contemporary' it ain't. He's synonymous with the 808 though - so forgive the tongue in cheek reference and deference to his expertise on the issue. the tr-8 is an 808 emulation. so, uh, seems relevant despite his lack of presence in the 'hot' section of the charts & 'underground'. Besides attending 'contemporary' gigs I go to parties where 70s disco jams are being spun. Is that OK with you ? I know it's not hot in the charts! or 'hot in the underground' {lol}.
Anyway... I'm not about to school you in my varied musical tastes, but you say you want to support 'minimal live gigs with drum machines and acid boxes' ... but uh, it certainly doesn't seem like that ? I don't really care btw... duke it out with himalaya.
ghettosynth wrote: Just because someone is your musical hero, doesn't mean that they're on any kind of leading edge. I'm quite sure that Air Supply is still someone's musical hero.

I love these guys, this record still kicks ass to me and I like to turn it up every time that I play it. You can hear the 909 front and center here. I've seen them live, I've studied their live recordings, I get how 909s were used in the early 90s in a live set. This is not, however, where the music scene is, just like Egyptian Lover, Prototype 909 represents where the music scene WAS!
that record blows.
ghettosynth wrote: Yes, the few people that have been doing the same thing since the 80s or 90s and still use an 808 or 909 the way they did back then may prefer to tour with a TR8 for any number of reasons. Those few performers don't amount to a hill of beans in Roland sales figures though. As I said, it's all about the hype of the 808/909, it's living in the past. They will sell to those who dreamed of owning one but aren't lucky enough to find one or haver the money to pay market prices, and they will sell to a lot of people who think that having a Roland box that's sort of a 808/909 will somehow give them legitimacy.
?? cool. Serius bizness. I'm sure the Roland Execs appreciate your concern for their bottom line. And I'm sure someone out there on the internet gives a damn too... himalaya does at least.
ghettosynth wrote:
ChiTown24 wrote: anecdotal conclusion;; basement dwellers with neckbeards are hard to please.

Good thing that Roland is betting the bank on wet behind the ears and over the hill DJs and Bboys instead then, amiright?
sure. i guess. i don't care really. they're so big I think they'll survive. meanwhile... those gigging musicians who've been lugging around their 808s/909s seem content to leave them home now. And the dreamers who've fetishized these boxes can dip their toes. Doubt anyone successfully performing with the tr-8, or dancing to said music, gives a shit beyond that.

ChiTown24 wrote: that record blows.
Not like Egyptian lover.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote:
ChiTown24 wrote:It's anecdote time;; I've seen plenty of my musical heroes who've been rocking the 808 for years if not decades, constantly gigging, releasing tunes solely on wax.. praise the tr-8 {after buying one with their own dough i.e they're not shilling} and say they will be performing with it in the future, though keeping the vintage model for the studio. Who can argue with Egyptian Lover, for example ?
Egyptian Lover is stuck in the 80s, if that's your thing, of course the 808 is all you need. You're just making my case that it is a retro piece and not a contemporary piece. What exactly do you think that I mean by party like it's 1999 (well really, 1983 for the 808, 1993 for the 909 and the 808 second coming)? If all you use is either 808 or 909 sounds and you manipulate them live like they did way back when, then you will love the TR8.

(Skip to about 32 minutes in for the 808 "jam", complete with ridiculous MC)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DQ52ZT0Yw8

Nothing like that is hot in the charts, or hot in the underground. If it is, tell me where, tell me who up and coming is doing minimal live gigs with drum machines and acid boxes because I want to support it.

Just because someone is your musical hero, doesn't mean that they're on any kind of leading edge. I'm quite sure that Air Supply is still someone's musical hero.

I love these guys, this record still kicks ass to me and I like to turn it up every time that I play it. You can hear the 909 front and center here. I've seen them live, I've studied their live recordings, I get how 909s were used in the early 90s in a live set. This is not, however, where the music scene is, just like Egyptian Lover, Prototype 909 represents where the music scene WAS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iszsvOf13GY

Yes, the few people that have been doing the same thing since the 80s or 90s and still use an 808 or 909 the way they did back then may prefer to tour with a TR8 for any number of reasons. Those few performers don't amount to a hill of beans in Roland sales figures though. As I said, it's all about the hype of the 808/909, it's living in the past. They will sell to those who dreamed of owning one but aren't lucky enough to find one or haver the money to pay market prices, and they will sell to a lot of people who think that having a Roland box that's sort of a 808/909 will somehow give them legitimacy.

anecdotal conclusion;; basement dwellers with neckbeards are hard to please.
Good thing that Roland is betting the bank on wet behind the ears and over the hill DJs and Bboys instead then, amiright?
Ghettosynth...Even though some of your posts on this page make somewhat sense I just can't get my head around your negative attitude to the TR8,i am 40 years old nearly and I have purchased a TR8...YES DAMN RIGHT Ive got the TR8 and TB3 so I can pretend I'm 16 again... I'm looking forward to the acid house vibe as I did in my teen years

I too like the future of electronic music and creativity ghettosynth but I totally love and respect the days gone by of hardware especially the roland boxes,I very much doubt we will see the drum machine and synth stage set up of the rave era
live 11 / Arturia collection / many Softube plug ins / thats it

ghettosynth wrote:
He's synonymous with the 808 though - so forgive the tongue in cheek reference and deference to his expertise on the issue.
He's synonymous with pointless and simplistic 808 jamming and "wack" rap, I'll give you that. He's certainly not made any progress and he hasn't seemed to learn much from musicians who rocked the 808 in the 90s.
I listened from the point you suggested... everyone in the audience looked unengaged... pretty much completely.

and that 808 'jamming' was unbelievably bad. Allowing for that though, the instrument itself is boring. There was a creative moment in history and the original boxes were part of it. However, there is no magic in those particular sounds. Those particular sounds just happened to be in a box that happened to be part of a musical moment.

Roland has a promotional video on their site. It's like 5 minutes long and it's one person after another saying how great the TR-8 is. I think it is telling that they are not showing 5 minutes of it being played.

pdxindy wrote:There was a creative moment in history and the original boxes were part of it. However, there is no magic in those particular sounds. Those particular sounds just happened to be in a box that happened to be part of a musical moment.
A "Moment" ? or a continuous use through different decades and many different genres? Which is closer to the truth, and if so, there is a reason for this, part of which is the sound. Magic or not, people still desire it (yes, yes, not you or Ghettosynth) and other companies try to emulate, model or get inspired by. See stuff made by Acidlab, MFB, Korg, Akai, Jomox, Novation (in the past), etc.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”