New Roland "DANCE" hardware- AIRA TR-8, TB-3, VT-3, SYSTEM-1

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It will be a re-release of the MC-303 :lol:

I've wondered why they never at least ventured into the software/hardware market with TR and TB hardware controllers mapped to software recreations.. They could have even licensed the d16 products perhaps..

It would have been fun to have those as controllers at the least... if not full standalones..

nix808 wrote:
antto wrote:
George wrote: Roland MC-202 :love:
202? :uhuhuh:
We'd have to ask Josh,
but AFAIK it was not a 303.
I read it somewhere more than once
It was a 303.
Was written on the train.

Read this in an FM interview (IIRC).
Last edited by Mushy Mushy on Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

kmonkey wrote:
Ironically Diva supersaw is modeled after Roland Jupiter :?
It's modelled after the JP8080/8000

What I don't understand is why the big manufacturers don't take a leaf out of Dave Smiths/Arturias (grrrrr) book and try and create something new and interesting in the analogue domain.

I can imagine an 8 voice analogue synth with a fresh take on signal paths and effects and maybe even DAW integration just selling buy the container load.

As much as I love the recreations like the MS20 and Boomstars, something new would be welcome. Like the Prophet 12 excites me until I hear it, I just don't like the sound, but at least he's tried to do something a little bit different.

Shy wrote:
ChiTown24 wrote:with Korg apparently doing so well with their recent foray into dirt cheap {to cheap-ish} analog units, modifiable, and the ms20 re-issue, one can only hope roland are taking a cue to do the same. all the clues seem to be pointing to something X0X and analogue, one can only hope!
You know everyone just wants a new Jupiter 8. In any case, they better not make another poor sounding "reissue" like KORG did with MS-20 mini which sounds like crap compared to the original. But they probably will, and I suppose it's most likely something like a horrible SH-101 or in the worst case a TB-303 "reissue". Definitely not a Jupiter 8. And they'll never bother building a very expensive new analog drum synth that's 99.9% replaceable by a proper multi-sampled library.
I guess they will make something that sells. ;) No matter what they do though, the old school analog purists will be disapointed anyway. Whether they reissue some of their old gear, or do something new. But i highly doubt that that is the aimed market anyway. After all, it's 2013 now.

chk071 wrote:No matter what they do though, the old school analog purists will be disapointed anyway.
Na, even the "purists" would be satisfied if they make something that's actually as good as the quality stuff from the past (like SH-5, Jupiter 8, etc.). It's just very unlikely to happen.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

"Wink's "Higher State Of Consciousness" is allegedly an MC-202"

I had a quick google,
not biasing this quote from what I originally heard.

There is some debate

nix808 wrote:"Wink's "Higher State Of Consciousness" is allegedly an MC-202"

I had a quick google,
not biasing this quote from what I originally heard.

There is some debate
Yes this is the incorrect rumour.
The interview I read (but buggered if I can find now) states he took his 303 with him everywhere, and this particular riff was done on the train.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Shy wrote: Na, even the "purists" would be satisfied if they make something that's actually as good as the quality stuff from the past (like SH-5, Jupiter 8, etc.).
Even if it sounded 100% like the original, people would find something to complain about. :) That's just the spirit of our time.

chk071 wrote:
Shy wrote: Na, even the "purists" would be satisfied if they make something that's actually as good as the quality stuff from the past (like SH-5, Jupiter 8, etc.).
Even if it sounded 100% like the original, people would find something to complain about. :) That's just the spirit of our time.
I'm sure they would. The usual idiotic stuff like "why is it so limited? it's 2013!" or "why can't they make something more original?".

Shy wrote: I'm sure they would. The usual idiotic stuff like "why is it so limited? it's 2013!" or "why can't they make something more original?".
Some good points i would say. :P Especially when they do a reissure of some entry level synths which didn't even sell very well, when it came out, and got its fame mostly by the use of famous artists, like the Korg MS-20. Yes, it has loads of character, but honestly, sound wise, there is much better stuff. Yes, yes, each to its like...

Oh man, you have no idea how wrong you are about (the original) MS-20 on all counts :). But that's fine. Hmm, if Roland actually releases a "reissue" of some stupid entry-level thing, that would really be weird.

chk071 wrote:Some good points i would say. :P Especially when they do a reissure of some entry level synths which didn't even sell very well, when it came out, and got its fame mostly by the use of famous artists, like the Korg MS-20. Yes, it has loads of character, but honestly, sound wise, there is much better stuff. Yes, yes, each to its like...
The MS20 was a big seller.
It was certainly not entry level, although it was competitively priced for its day.
It was famous specifically because of its character which you already mentioned.

i.e. it was and is a cracking synth. Was considered so at the time, and today. You may not like the synth itself (perfectly understandable), but don't start making up entire histories about it...

Hm, could have sworn that i read somewhere that the MS-20 wasn't much of a seller at the beginning (which was what i wrote, at the beginning), but can't find the source now. Wikipedia specifies the price as 750 $, which is pretty cheap, that's why i wrote entry level. Actually i read that the price was 500 $ somewhere, but can't find that now either.

Edit: Here is where i read it: http://www.amazona.de/blue-box-korg-ms-20/ Says that in 1978, people didn't care much about a "attractive, cheap, semi modular monophonic synth with patch bay", as all eyes were focused on the Sequential Prohet 5.
Last edited by chk071 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tehlord wrote:I can imagine an 8 voice analogue synth with a fresh take on signal paths and effects and maybe even DAW integration just selling buy the container load.
I can imagine it being an many peoples' wish list, but I can't imagine it selling very many. Do you know what kind of price that type of synth would go for? It wouldn't be cheap, that's for sure. I haven't heard that even synths like the new MS20 or MiniBrute have been selling by the container load. Seriously, not that many musicians have the kind of money to splurge on those kind of things. Andromedas sold well, but not in huge numbers, and remember how much they were? I consider myself pretty profligate in terms of buying toys, but I never just willy nilly bought anything in 4 figures.

kritikon wrote:
tehlord wrote:I can imagine an 8 voice analogue synth with a fresh take on signal paths and effects and maybe even DAW integration just selling buy the container load.
I can imagine it being an many peoples' wish list, but I can't imagine it selling very many. Do you know what kind of price that type of synth would go for? It wouldn't be cheap, that's for sure. I haven't heard that even synths like the new MS20 or MiniBrute have been selling by the container load. Seriously, not that many musicians have the kind of money to splurge on those kind of things. Andromedas sold well, but not in huge numbers, and remember how much they were? I consider myself pretty profligate in terms of buying toys, but I never just willy nilly bought anything in 4 figures.

If Dave Smith can do it. Roland can do it.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”