New Roland "DANCE" hardware- AIRA TR-8, TB-3, VT-3, SYSTEM-1

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghettosynth wrote:The smile at 4:35 is epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sFesCIXtL8
Off the back of that video, I got this...I may be married, but Im in lurve again :oops:

Really got into this hard-on music x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7qL_23D86U

Damn infectious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BiRhKKd7gc

Im off to get bed goodTR8

damoog wrote:
I think too subtle for the subset of people that are going to be interested in these products in the first place.
are you kidding,the new TR8 has now sold out everywhere in the uk :o
No, I'm not kidding.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ok, So...

I went to the music shop to buy a korg volca keys (love it) today and played with some new stuff. My software sounds better than the Nord Lead 4 I tried and how much? lol

Also tried the MS20 mini, didn't like it. I thought I would because I do like the sound but it just felt SO cheap and plasticy. It felt like it was a big box with not a lot in it.

Then I tried the new Roland drum machine & TB 3. I spent a few minutes with the TB 3 on headphones flicking through the preset sounds (what else can you do?) and was immediately reminded of the nasty sounding youtube videos I watched previously. This thing is DIGITAL! Its full of clipping and distortion and in your face sounds. So limited in textures that I gave up after 5 minutes and went on to drum machine. I think I get more analogue sound from my hand squelching under my armpit. :hihi:

I wasn't expecting much after being abused by the TB 3 and I don't like the style of these new rolands (green) but I gotta say... The drum machine sounded pretty phatt! I was quite surprised and tbh, digital or analogue or whatever it does sound good. Easy to use as well and I could quite happily use it in my tracks if I was given one.

I'm not in the market for a basic drum machine as I prefer audio and battery but I thought I would share my opinion, and its just that.. don't get your knickers in a twist because I said it sounds bad/good. hehe...
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

faun2500 wrote: I wasn't expecting much after being abused by the TB 3 and I don't like the style of these new rolands (green) but I gotta say... The drum machine sounded pretty phatt! I was quite surprised and tbh, digital or analogue or whatever it does sound good. Easy to use as well and I could quite happily use it in my tracks if I was given one.

I'm not in the market for a basic drum machine as I prefer audio and battery but I thought I would share my opinion, and its just that.. don't get your knickers in a twist because I said it sounds bad/good. hehe...
I very much appreciate the value of a good performance sequencer and even the value of a dedicated drum synth. I used to play live with the 909 and it was important to be able to to grab the individual instrument controls on the fly. That was then, though, not now. Personally, I'd love to see a "punk" era in techno that rejects the excessively overproduced shite that's currently flooding the scene. I'm just not seeing it. Maybe someone can tell me where it's happening?
Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah I agree,push sequencer all the way,it's awesome

The 909 and 808 in my opinion should belong with collectors now really,especially with the current trend of drum machines whether it's digital or analog they all sound amazing,I also cannot justify the asking price unless your a collector

I could also honestly say that if I actually owned an 808 or 909 then I would have it in a display cabinet for 30 years to extend more value to it
live 11 / Arturia collection / many Softube plug ins / thats it

Best 909 comparison I've seen so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XobVykMb ... ata_player
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:Best 909 comparison I've seen so far.
It is a good comparison. I suspect that for people that are anal about having "that" sound, the analog modeling might matter to those folks in some contexts. I bet for most people, however, you won't hear much difference between the real 909 and a decent 909 sample set.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote: Personally, I'd love to see a "punk" era in techno that rejects the excessively overproduced shite that's currently flooding the scene. I'm just not seeing it. Maybe someone can tell me where it's happening?
:clap:
listening to some old old tracks the other day, and they sound more futuristic
with a raw sound.

It's pretty clear to me (as I suspected from hearing early demos) that they really have "nailed" the sound of their classics. To me though... I say "so what?" I can get punchy x0x style drums from a lot of sources these days, some of them software. Maybe they're not 100% "authentic" but I say... "so what?" to that as well. As long as I can get good sounds out of them, that's all I care about. I've had some great fun with the $25 Bong.

So part of me... the part of me that loves the sound of those old x0x synths and has terminal G.A.S. wants one of the TR-8s for sure. The other part of me says, "Roland... what have you done for me lately?" By that I mean, for me it's not enough to just release an emulation of a classic drum machine today. Especially one that's supposed to be "the next step." Give me more control over the synth engines. More synth engines. Give me good per voice effects. All stuff that Roland has done in other products... but didn't do here.

I wish them well though. I hope that it's a success and they take it further next year with a "Pro" version that has a lot of the good juicy features they left out on this one.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:I hope that it's a success and they take it further next year with a "Pro" version that has a lot of the good juicy features they left out on this one.
jeesh,dont say that,i just forked out £650 on the tr8 / tb3 :hihi: :dog:

just recieved the tb3 and im pretty blown away actually,im an analog head but this tb3 sounds pretty authentic,its way more addictive than the original imho
live 11 / Arturia collection / many Softube plug ins / thats it

damoog wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:I hope that it's a success and they take it further next year with a "Pro" version that has a lot of the good juicy features they left out on this one.
jeesh,dont say that,i just forked out £650 on the tr8 / tb3 :hihi: :dog:

just recieved the tb3 and im pretty blown away actually,im an analog head but this tb3 sounds pretty authentic,its way more addictive than the original imho
Funny actually after listening to the TB3 on many demoes, looking at the features and functions, actually made me go head in for a xoxbox...however, the TB3 touch pad controller is of interest if assignable to 3rd party plugins ie send cc data?

The TR8 is a great buy, I have come to the conclusion not for me...clunky buttons; fine for step programming and not impressed by the sounds...the KIK yes, the rest no. We need kit that takes elements of the past and be the next sound of the future...think this is why Elektron do so well...

zerocrossing wrote:
It's pretty clear to me (as I suspected from hearing early demos) that they really have "nailed" the sound of their classics. To me though... I say "so what?" I can get punchy x0x style drums from a lot of sources these days, some of them software. Maybe they're not 100% "authentic" but I say... "so what?" to that as well. As long as I can get good sounds out of them, that's all I care about. I've had some great fun with the $25 Bong.
Yes, this is exactly right. It's really been that way for a long time.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

When Roland releases an editor for the Aira synthesis engine so that I can create my own kits I'll buy 3 tr-8s immediately. Until then.... lol watch the used market get flooded with these things, I'm betting on it.

inf0tr8r wrote:... lol watch the used market get flooded with these things, I'm betting on it.
Yep im on this wagon...

Again, the whole analogue vs digital debate. Very similar to the hi-res music situation. People think because it's a 24 bit 96khz file it sounds better than normal cd, when evidence shows people can't hear the difference.. People see the word "analogue" and they automatically think it will sound better, even if they haven't heard a direct comparison. I bet if Roland marketed the Aira's as fully "analogue" , everyone would've believed and accepted it simply because of the word association.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”