New Roland "DANCE" hardware- AIRA TR-8, TB-3, VT-3, SYSTEM-1

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zerocrossing wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:Best 909 comparison I've seen so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XobVykMb ... ata_player
I've had some great fun with the $25 Bong.
Lol, indeed, so many people have :party:

dcfac73 wrote:Again, the whole analogue vs digital debate. Very similar to the hi-res music situation. People think because it's a 24 bit 96khz file it sounds better than normal cd, when evidence shows people can't hear the difference.. People see the word "analogue" and they automatically think it will sound better, even if they haven't heard a direct comparison. I bet if Roland marketed the Aira's as fully "analogue" , everyone would've believed and accepted it simply because of the word association.
That's not what this conversation is really about. The question is really, if it's digital, why does it need to be in hardware? I love analog hardware, I use samplers for drums.

Bit the bullet and decided to pre order the Akai Wolf...for the money it's a no brainer tbh or I have no brain which is more likely. I like the look of the TR8, the kicks are nice but overall...not for me :)

ghettosynth wrote:
dcfac73 wrote:Again, the whole analogue vs digital debate. Very similar to the hi-res music situation. People think because it's a 24 bit 96khz file it sounds better than normal cd, when evidence shows people can't hear the difference.. People see the word "analogue" and they automatically think it will sound better, even if they haven't heard a direct comparison. I bet if Roland marketed the Aira's as fully "analogue" , everyone would've believed and accepted it simply because of the word association.
That's not what this conversation is really about. The question is really, if it's digital, why does it need to be in hardware? I love analog hardware, I use samplers for drums.
The Aira's are marketed as live performance machines with extensive real-time hardware control. ie, it has all the control of analogue machines, and arguably, equal sound quality.
Personally, I don't need the hardware control, I already own Maschine and Spark. This is why, I probably won't bite (as of the current feature set). I'm only interested in the quality of the emulation. I've always loved the sound of the 808, but thought it was ridiculous to pay stupid money for a 20 + year old machine, which could cease to function at any time. If they release a software version, or add additional features, such as additional emulations, or additional synthesis options, I might be interested.

dcfac73 wrote: Personally, I don't need the hardware control, I already own Maschine and Spark. This is why, I probably won't bite (as of the current feature set). I'm only interested in the quality of the emulation. I've always loved the sound of the 808, but thought it was ridiculous to pay stupid money for a 20 + year old machine, which could cease to function at any time. If they release a software version, or add additional features, such as additional emulations, or additional synthesis options, I might be interested.
This is why I would probably consider a Miami from AcidLabs...more expensive than the TR* but about a 1/3 of the current 808 fleabay prices...whilst not an exact clone, good enough for most.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cniIkckWtyc

That looks sweet. But what do they mean by "tuned a little more flat"?

One question for any owners out there- Can the drums on the TR8 be controlled from a normal midi keyboard? I make bass music which involves a lot of pitched kicks and snares. It doesn't seem possible (or easy) to do this on the hardware. Also is there a swing function? I've heard a lot of sound demos floating around, and they pretty much all sound straight on. Rigid, and quite robotic.

yeah i would agree with....

'I bet if Roland marketed the Aira's as fully "analogue" , everyone would've believed and accepted it simply because of the word association'

i have a few modern analogue and the one that i have that truly sounds analog is my prophet 08(amongst my moogs and a bass station 2)

i have right this moment in front of me the new roland TB3 and this sounds pretty analog to my ears and to be honest i dont care if it sounds slightly digital there are some really pumping sounds coming out of it!....ACIIIIIED
live 11 / Arturia collection / many Softube plug ins / thats it

ghettosynth wrote:
The question is really, if it's digital, why does it need to be in hardware? I love analog hardware, I use samplers for drums.
Isn't the answer obvious? A self-contained unit that does not require a computer: A blessing for live use and those working OTB.

Perhaps, some would want to have Machine-like integration, but then the price would also reflect the extra R&D and be higher. Software only TR8? It's not a realistic proposition for Roland, and we all know why.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

damoog wrote:yeah i would agree with....

'I bet if Roland marketed the Aira's as fully "analogue" , everyone would've believed and accepted it simply because of the word association'

i have a few modern analogue and the one that i have that truly sounds analog is my prophet 08(amongst my moogs and a bass station 2)

i have right this moment in front of me the new roland TB3 and this sounds pretty analog to my ears and to be honest i dont care if it sounds slightly digital there are some really pumping sounds coming out of it!....ACIIIIIED
Congrats bro! :tu:

Just thought of another reason for outboard digital hardware- it takes the strain off the computer cpu.

himalaya wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
The question is really, if it's digital, why does it need to be in hardware? I love analog hardware, I use samplers for drums.
Isn't the answer obvious? A self-contained unit that does not require a computer: A blessing for live use and those working OTB.

Perhaps, some would want to have Machine-like integration, but then the price would also reflect the extra R&D and be higher. Software only TR8? It's not a realistic proposition for Roland, and we all know why.
I don't see it as a blessing for working out of the box really. The MPC is that for percussion and has been for, what, 20 years? People are buying it though, so we'll know soon enough whether they have actual uses or were just responding to hype and a perceived bargain.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote:
himalaya wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:

Yes, your answer is obvious, you should get from my other posts that I get that implicitly. I'm trying to wrap my head around who exactly is the customer? Who plays live with drum machines like it's 1999? Are they selling out in the U.K. to hip hop guys, or techno producers?
Are you serious? Never heard of people having different workflow then yourself? Man..plenty of people still use hardware only because of workflow, tactile feel and inspiration etc. If you are not that person it's fine but it doesn't mean product is not making sense..

ghettosynth wrote:Who plays live with drum machines like it's 1999?
It's not about playing like it's 1999. It about just playing...and having lots of fun while doing so. Whether in your bedroom, a semi-pro studio, a state of the art production suite, a live venue or all night jamming with your friends. It's all very simple, there's no need to ponder who, why, what...

Look at the explosion of YouTube videos showing people just messing about with all those new hardware gadgets...
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

kmonkey wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
himalaya wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:

Yes, your answer is obvious, you should get from my other posts that I get that implicitly. I'm trying to wrap my head around who exactly is the customer? Who plays live with drum machines like it's 1999? Are they selling out in the U.K. to hip hop guys, or techno producers?
Are you serious? Never heard of people having different workflow then yourself?
We'll know in a year or so just by looking at the used market.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”