New Roland "DANCE" hardware- AIRA TR-8, TB-3, VT-3, SYSTEM-1

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghettosynth wrote: Any two oscillator synth that has either a balance or separate levels for both oscillators can basically do the same thing, and that's a LOT of synths.
I've tried to make my SH-2 sound the same like the SH-101 - by doing what you suggest - and it just doesn't work. Tried it with a Minimoog - it doesn't work. And it never will with dual-VCO synths. Different designs, give different sound, hence the SH-101, taken as a whole, is a unique sounding mono synth. The MC-202 may have the same filter as the Sh-101, but it does't have the same waveform mixing capability - hence it will not sound the same.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote:
ghettosynth wrote: Any two oscillator synth that has either a balance or separate levels for both oscillators can basically do the same thing, and that's a LOT of synths.
I've tried to make my SH-2 sound the same like the SH-101 - by doing what you suggest - and it just doesn't work. Tried it with a Minimoog - it doesn't work. And it never will with dual-VCO synths. Different designs, give different sound, hence the SH-101, taken as a whole, is a unique sounding mono synth. The MC-202 may have the same filter as the Sh-101, but it does't have the same waveform mixing capability - hence it will not sound the same.
I guess it depends on how close you need it to be.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

According to this interview (in German) the SYSTEM-100, SYSTEM-100M and SYSTEM-700 are among the further planned "Plug-Outs" for the SYSTEM-1 synth.

Chapelle wrote:According to this interview (in German) the SYSTEM-100, SYSTEM-100M and SYSTEM-700 are among the further planned "Plug-Outs" for the SYSTEM-1 synth.
There just trying to capitalize on the demand for old Roland modular synths.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

As soon as the local shop has one in i will demo it. All ive heard so far is bullshit and speculation. Not interested in the other 3 units.

Kriminal wrote:As soon as the local shop has one in i will demo it. All ive heard so far is bullshit and speculation. Not interested in the other 3 units.
Knock yourself out, but, for me, it's not necessary.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Got Diva, (and just about everything else) dont use it. Im moving away from software. I prefer a hands on approach. Also considering a Gaia. Will see if this is as capable or if its a gimmick synth. Something with a 'knob per function' as much as possble is what i prefer, with a keyboard.

Sonic State video of the System-1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXOgZimnznE

A key factor will be the price of the 'plug outs'

Kriminal wrote:Got Diva, (and just about everything else) dont use it. Im moving away from software. I prefer a hands on approach. Also considering a Gaia. Will see if this is as capable or if its a gimmick synth. Something with a 'knob per function' as much as possble is what i prefer, with a keyboard.
I hear you. I haven't gotten rid of all of my hardware.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote:The right way to do this has been rejected by the market, i.e. the Nord G1/2.
Yah the Nord G series was a great idea i thought and I could never figure out why it fizzled and flopped. I was going to save up and buy the G2 but I ended up going the Macbook & Reaktor + Midi controller route.

I think Clavia is done with the virtual modular approach because it never appealed to the average user due to it's potentially intimidating learning curve. I also think they saw that modern computing power would bring forth equally powerful native systems and provide people with more powerful virtual modular plugins that cost way less.

Anyways back to these Roland things..

Well so far the AIRA series looks to be aimed largely at DJ's who want a visually attractive set of easy to use instruments, which is what the TB-303 and TR series basically turned into.

I think i was just as shocked as anyone when they brought out these using virtual analog engines when their direct competition is offering low cost real analog synthesizers. Why would they do this? It seems illogical, but I think their reasons are clearly financially driven with the approach of "Sell easy to use cheap stuff and sell lots" attitude.
:borg:

Chapelle wrote:Sonic State video of the System-1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXOgZimnznE
Definitely a better demo.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

V0RT3X wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:The right way to do this has been rejected by the market, i.e. the Nord G1/2.
Yah the Nord G series was a great idea i thought and I could never figure out why it fizzled and flopped. I was going to save up and buy the G2 but I ended up going the Macbook & Reaktor + Midi controller route.

I think Clavia is done with the virtual modular approach because it never appealed to the average user due to it's potentially intimidating learning curve. I also think they saw that modern computing power would bring forth equally powerful native systems and provide people with more powerful virtual modular plugins that cost way less.
I think so too. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's why it fizzled. By the time the modular craze was in full swing, Reaktor was a much better choice for most people.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote: It's 1999 all over again where people were sold a bill of goods with vendors asserting that plugins were equal to the real thing.
I remember that with the Gforce and Arturia stuff and i bought the hype back then. Eventually my quest for sonic awesomness led me to KVR and I ended finding better things. Strangely though I am at the point now where achieving the utmost in sonic purity is not as important as making a good song.
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:
ghettosynth wrote: It's 1999 all over again where people were sold a bill of goods with vendors asserting that plugins were equal to the real thing.
I remember that with the Gforce and Arturia stuff and i bought the hype back then. Eventually my quest for sonic awesomness led me to KVR and I ended finding better things. Strangely though I am at the point now where achieving the utmost in sonic purity is not as important as making a good song.
Exactly so.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”