New Roland "DANCE" hardware- AIRA TR-8, TB-3, VT-3, SYSTEM-1

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

and yer computer................

Anybody making 100% digital synth these days should have a 1:1 VST equivalent that can be controlled by hardware and all hardware data uploaded directly into the VST.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:Anybody making 100% digital synth these days should have a 1:1 VST equivalent that can be controlled by hardware and all hardware data uploaded directly into the VST.
Not if you are re-doing instrument which is based on something well known and if you want to retain it's characteristic then i assume most of new digital VST controlmeoneverything can fly out of the window.

909 and 808 are well known for ease of use, no brainer controls, and spot on intuitive music making. You fire it up, press buttons and drum beat is there.

But don't feel abused. TR8 trasmit MIDI CC on all knobs so it's just matter of time until we see VST panels for TR8. And until that you can always map TR8 CC from your host and use recall or whatever you want.

fmr wrote:...an SH-101... really?
Isn't that the only emulation they released for VariOS (and beta at that)?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

All other stuff besides one thing is debatable. Weirdly, i think nobody really cares.

The idea that they shouldn't put out an analog tb303, though, is ridiculous.

kmonkey wrote:
electro wrote:Anybody making 100% digital synth these days should have a 1:1 VST equivalent that can be controlled by hardware and all hardware data uploaded directly into the VST.
Not if you are re-doing instrument which is based on something well known and if you want to retain it's characteristic then i assume most of new digital VST controlmeoneverything can fly out of the window.

909 and 808 are well known for ease of use, no brainer controls, and spot on intuitive music making. You fire it up, press buttons and drum beat is there.

But don't feel abused. TR8 trasmit MIDI CC on all knobs so it's just matter of time until we see VST panels for TR8. And until that you can always map TR8 CC from your host and use recall or whatever you want.
Waaaaaaiiiiiit!

So I could use the TR8 as a control surface for Drumazon/Nepheton.
:drool:

Sold unequivocally now.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

So basically make a vst....and use any controller

not everyone uses a computer/vst host to make music.

electro wrote:
dashfiss wrote:
TheoM wrote:So the basic appeal of this would be for the hands on hardware crowd?
Can you hug a VST? Can you kiss a VST? Can you use a VST as a pillow at night? NO!
BS, just pick up a Novation Zero if you want realtime knob tweaking for any VST. I really don't see anything worth watching over the Aria line. Tal already did the SH-101 exceptionally well and there are many other x0x VSTs such as Phoscyon, Venom and the upcoming ABL3.

None of which have dedicated hardware controllers.

shalako wrote:Firstly I am excited about these releases even if it Is VA.

But... BUT........ The System 1, only has 1 LFO. Just one! This is a digital synth, and music today is based on heavy modulation. I can understand if it was pure analog having one 1 LFO, but a digital synth with only 1 LFO makes no sense to me.

Novation managed to put 2 LFOs on the bass station 2, the moogs have 2 LFOs, the korg ms20 can fake a second LFO with creative patching and these are all analogue. But roland with its digital synth only has one. WTF! :x :dog:
Pulse 2 has 2 lfos + 2 loop modes for envelopes (work same as lfos).
DSI tetra has about 4 lfo's and a loop too.

Both analogue synths.

I am also surprised its only got 1 lfo but then again I haven't been impressed with anything I have seen of these new roland toys.
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

kmonkey wrote:

But... BUT........ The System 1, only has 1 LFO. Just one! This is a digital synth, and music today is based on heavy modulation. I can understand if it was pure analog having one 1 LFO, but a digital synth with only 1 LFO makes no sense to me.

Novation managed to put 2 LFOs on the bass station 2, the moogs have 2 LFOs, the korg ms20 can fake a second LFO with creative patching and these are all analogue. But roland with its digital synth only has one. WTF! :x :dog:
Clearly it's not for you then.

Personally i almost 95% of my time never need an LFO in sound design, and when i need, one is enough but i do get your point. It's not Zebra or something so you guys will have to live with it or simply pass it. Plenty of other gear available - with two LFO..
I often use 3 or 4 lfos myself. I like to have one on PAN (if available) and then pitch and what ever else I am modulation like maybe the filter cutoff. Lfo's are essential to me for creating living synth sounds. :)
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

faun2500 wrote:
kmonkey wrote:

Clearly it's not for you then.

Personally i almost 95% of my time never need an LFO in sound design, and when i need, one is enough but i do get your point. It's not Zebra or something so you guys will have to live with it or simply pass it. Plenty of other gear available - with two LFO..
I often use 3 or 4 lfos myself. I like to have one on PAN (if available) and then pitch and what ever else I am modulation like maybe the filter cutoff. Lfo's are essential to me for creating living synth sounds. :)
Clearly it's not for you then (either) :lol:
Fernando (FMR)

You could also get 4 Korg real analog devices for $550.00 from JRR Shop
http://www.jrrshop.com/korg-volca-bundl ... ibe-bundle
:borg:

Roland have been skirting around the bassline issue for a while, putting
VA models of 'bass monosynths' in various products like the MV sample
workstations and there was a little bass sequencer around 2000, forget
name. even the Boss SYB3 guitar synth pedal has promise, if only it
wasn't just an fx pedal. maybe they've had a pretty good idea how to do
a digital 303 for some time.

does the sequencer inherit the same principles of the original? separate
pitch and time modes, etc. tap entry?

"we’ve fully reproduced the TB-303’s sawtooth and square wave oscillators, as well as the -18dB per octave ladder low-pass filter used in the original"

they're saying this again - i thought it had been established that is isn't a 18dB/oct filter, but a
variation of the 24dB/oct Moog ladder filter.

so the new philosophy is 'out of the box' sequencing slaved to a computer?

or will it end up serving as a sound module? the authentic sequencer is not
important since you can generate 'authentic' 303 b-lines with anything that
uses the same restrictions -

edit* (a few hours later, after digesting info..)
*here is possibly something not being seen yet, that it can probably upload
different firmware, and have alternate visual interfaces installed? different
sequencers? would be very nice. the annoying zumming button dsplay on the
tr8 when it is at rest can hopefully be switched off (or you could have dancing patterns on the LEDs, no doubt.) - don't know if it is the case?

i think it's great that it's something different.
Last edited by mztk on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

mztk wrote:Roland have been skirting around the bassline issue for a while, putting
VA models of 'bass monosynths' in various products like the MV sample
workstations and there was a little bass sequencer around 2000, forget
name. even the Boss SYB3 guitar synth pedal has promise, if only it
wasn't just an fx pedal. maybe they've had a pretty good idea how to do
a digital 303 for some time.

does the sequencer inherit the same principles of the original? separate
pitch and time modes, etc. tap entry?
There where actually 2 around 2000 :)
The Roland roland phrase lab mc09 and EF303 :)
The EF303 was also a drummachine and multieffect unit (Which i still have here) :)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”