New Roland "DANCE" hardware- AIRA TR-8, TB-3, VT-3, SYSTEM-1

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

deleted, nevermind
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Looks like createdigitalmusic is reporting it's VA, but based on the online retailer stating as much in the now pulled product page, and rumours....
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/01/l ... 808-synth/

still holding on to my last shred of hope :)

Ingonator wrote:
vurt wrote:either way ingo, nobody said software is better than hardware or anything similar.
No, actually it's: I'll skip the hardware (no matter how good or bad it is which nobody knows yet) and wait for samples... :wink:

Ingo

well we know its a drum machine based on the 808, as good as it maybe in recreating the original, i doubt it will bring anything new to the table.
im not saying that it will be a bad product, just that i doubt for someone who is itb it would make them think "ooh, maybe its time i should invest in some hardware"
for people like you or i, or even the hardware purists then yeah, it could well be worth grabbing :)

vurt wrote:either way ingo, nobody said software is better than hardware or anything similar.
this.

Besides which, given the parameters of the question - I feel my answer was bang on the money. Certainly doesn't warrant any kind of sanctimonious nonsense, or oppressive nonsense suggesting you can't recommend software in a hardware subsection of a forum.

Theos question:
So the basic appeal of this would be for the hands on hardware crowd? For those working entirely itb do you think there is anything *sound* wise new Roland re creations of classics could do that we can't do with the massive kontakt libraries available, or the emus from d16 and audiorealism? Of course it's just speculation at this point but I am wondering if those who were willing to take an educated guess would think there could be anything sound wise that we can't do already.

Point 1: Theo acknowledges the 'hands on' aspect of hardware.
Point 2: Theo states his preference for working entirely ITB.
Point 3: Theo asks, specifically in relation to sound design possibilities, if the AIRA TR-08 could offer something a huge selection of samples or ITB instruments couldn't.
Point 4: He acknowledges that the answer could only be speculative.
Point 5: He asks for people to take an educated guess.

Given all those parameters, I will stand by my educated guess and advice to Theo. Time will vindicate, no doubt.
And this is as someone who - by the way - owns, and swears by, a swathe of analogue and digital hardware gear, mixers, and various outboard. Many of which is discontinued or 'vintage'. So I think it is fair to say that there is no 'itb' bias in my reply to Theo. Horses for courses.

If Ingo thinks in terms of sound design, a drum machine (analogue or not) is going to offer something Theo can't achieve with software or samples - he is entitled to his opinion and entitled to disagree with me. However he's not entitled to misrepresent my words or advice, or dictate what can be advised in a hardware forum.

yup, totally agree with you :)

vurt wrote:
Ingonator wrote:
No, actually it's: I'll skip the hardware (no matter how good or bad it is which nobody knows yet) and wait for samples... :wink:

Ingo

well we know its a drum machine based on the 808, as good as it maybe in recreating the original, i doubt it will bring anything new to the table.

Precisely. But hey, this is a hardware forum. Software is verboten. :roll:

Back on subject:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/9762036-post1437.html

"I got to play with prototypes back in November. Non disclosure agreement expires now that the Aira site is up. All 4 Aira machines are digital, but will use modeling technology rather than PCM. The TR-08 has 909 sounds as well. They are not software controllers. This new division of Roland is dedicated to hardware since software has taken a huge chunk of their sales. Pieces are solid and well built. Pricing will be extremely un-Roland (low) from what they told me. I'm not going to quote them here, though. Aira units are geared toward live performance rather than recording. One of them will have a very promising functionality. I really can't say much more in a public forum, but feel free to inbox me with any burning questions. Only 2 of the 4 prototypes were operational, TR-08 being one of them. Played with them for about 45 mins. Great fun."

Of course, who knows the legitimacy, and they have deleted their post (linked post is a quote) and claimed they got their hand slapped by Roland.

Just tossing some more fuel on the fire :hihi:
Meh.

Pricing will be extremely un-Roland (low) from what they told me.
I'll buy if under $500

Meh.

I say the jury is still out, but I probably won't be in line for one if it's VA. Not that I think VA is bad, but in a world where I have to limit the amount of hardware due to physical space issues, I have drawn a line that VA will be done ITB. Of course, if it's fantastic I may eat those words, but I've managed to not buy the Nord Drum II, which I think sounds fantastic, for this exact reason. I also think Tremor, µtonic, Extreme Drum Synth and Drumaxx sound fantastic. I think I'm doomed to use samples for analog drum sounds and be done with it as I've never really found the drum synth that really does it for me. I think the Vermona DRM-1 could be that instrument, if it had digital control and preset memory. Mk4?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

KrisM wrote:Back on subject:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/9762036-post1437.html

"I got to play with prototypes back in November. Non disclosure agreement expires now that the Aira site is up. All 4 Aira machines are digital, but will use modeling technology rather than PCM. The TR-08 has 909 sounds as well. They are not software controllers. This new division of Roland is dedicated to hardware since software has taken a huge chunk of their sales. Pieces are solid and well built. Pricing will be extremely un-Roland (low) from what they told me. I'm not going to quote them here, though. Aira units are geared toward live performance rather than recording. One of them will have a very promising functionality. I really can't say much more in a public forum, but feel free to inbox me with any burning questions. Only 2 of the 4 prototypes were operational, TR-08 being one of them. Played with them for about 45 mins. Great fun."

Of course, who knows the legitimacy, and they have deleted their post (linked post is a quote) and claimed they got their hand slapped by Roland.

Just tossing some more fuel on the fire :hihi:
I can see why he got slapped on the wrist... that quote's being doing the rounds :)
Still hoping it's a massive red-herring :) :pray:

Annnnnyway, if it's not analogue in some way I'll be disappointed, sure, but I'll reserve judgement based on the price, build, sequencer tech-specs, and of course sound quality ... coupled with the price. It's a machine for performing with, and making grooves... I'll let that be the deciding factor on if it's 'win' or 'fail' :)

you can pry my mk1 electribes & elektron MD-uw from my cold dead hands, not to mention nord modulars though they're missing some of the controls of a dedicated drum machine - the point being, writing this machine off purely because it's VA {if that's the case} is foolish. It's disappointing, because we all want an 808, but it's not a write-off offence. imo.

another reason I was hoping for a genuine analogue drum-machine from Roland, if not an outright re-issue, was in the hope that it would help the prices of the classic 808 take a dip.

ChiTown24 wrote:
If Ingo thinks in terms of sound design, a drum machine (analogue or not) is going to offer something Theo can't achieve with software or samples - he is entitled to his opinion and entitled to disagree with me. However he's not entitled to misrepresent my words or advice, or dictate what can be advised in a hardware forum.
That comment about hardware vs software etc. seemed to be stupid indeed and i apologize for that.

If you read my last posts you'''ll see i have explained my point a bit further. In fact the point is that you gave an advice about a product that is so far unreleased and no further details are known (while now some more details seem to have appeared but this is after you did your post).
Except if i missed something and you have alraedy tested the product.

Personally i would not try giving an advice about something that i have not checked out myself or at least know all the specs and have listened to a bunch of audio demos.

I think some of your advices were more based on experiences with other gear but not based on experiences with THIS specific one. Please correct me if i am wrong with this.

Also the point about samples of the new product is a bit strange as i don't think Roland will allow sample collections of their freshly released product (especially if those samples are a commercial product). Maybe in a few years this will be possible.

Now that it seems to be obvious that this will not be real analog but VA i am less interested but still waiting to hear some audio demos and for sure will check it out at the Musikmesse if they have some units for testing there.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

ChiTown24 wrote:another reason I was hoping for a genuine analogue drum-machine from Roland, if not an outright re-issue, was in the hope that it would help the prices of the classic 808 take a dip.
lol you know it wouldn't go down like that. People would say it doesn't sound right and the prices would go up :lol:
Meh.

Ingonator wrote: Also the point about samples of the new product is a bit strange as i don't think Roland will allow sample collections of their freshly released product (especially if those samples are a commercial product). Maybe in a few years this will be possible.

im pretty sure you are correct that roland would blow their shit if it gets sampled, i still reckon within 24 hours of this thing hitting the shelf anyone who wanted to download the samples and didnt care about legality will have no trouble finding them. maybe not a commercial product, but how many "sample packs" have been rereleased illegally by people passing others work off as their own?
im not saying i condone this, just being realistic, thats the state of the world these days sadly.

KrisM wrote:
ChiTown24 wrote:another reason I was hoping for a genuine analogue drum-machine from Roland, if not an outright re-issue, was in the hope that it would help the prices of the classic 808 take a dip.
lol you know it wouldn't go down like that. People would say it doesn't sound right and the prices would go up :lol:
also the 1/1 (aside from size) recreation of the korg ms20 had absolutely no effect on the price of the originals :shrug:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”