Slate Virtual Microphone System (i.e. Mic Modeling)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looks like Slate Digital is back at it. This time they're doing a new take on microphone modelling with a hardware microphone & preamp that's paired up with software. This could be interesting, but I'm highly skeptical. It'll be interesting to hear some real world reviews and A/B's on this once it's out.

http://www.slatedigital.com/vmspreview/

It's probably pretty expensive. Includes 2 mics, the hardware and software. Probably a few grand... A modern take of the Antres microphone modeler. Will be interesting to see how good or bad this is...
Play it by ear

His singing in the video sounds awful. It sounds as if there is some kind of Autotune effect in the signal path of his "Virtual Microphone System".

I'm a hardware slut, but I have zero interest in this. I own several Slate plugins, and while they are fine (and often useful) my experience is that they do not live up to the considerable hype. It will be fascinating to see if this takes off. Wonder how many Liquid Channels Focusrite sold?
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

Price is around 2000 :(

Keith99 wrote:Price is around 2000 :(
That's not cheap, but not completely unreasonable either. If it does what it says to any reasonable degree of success, then it's not a bad price at all. The idea of modelling of SM57 seems kind of funny to me though. If I ever need an SM57, why wouldn't I just use an SM57 in conjunction with the Slate VMS, instead of trying to model it with the VMS? I mean, it's what? A $70 microphone?

I don't think that it will be hardware bound only, because as you can see at this mark:
http://youtu.be/_rzzoFCm8qk?t=5m24s

Slate is showing VMS with VMR. And Virtual Mix Rack is definitely not hardware bound. And they'd also shoot their foot if it would be. So I'm pretty much confident on that end.

I think, the marketing goes towards "if you want the best out of our tools, buy both the mics and the preamps, along with the software (read: you get the software included)", else "just get the software, use a C414 or the flattest mic you have, but you won't get as great results".

I think that Slate is actually trying to fuse his hardware range with his software range. A good stab at that even. But Closed Beta hasn't even started yet for EITHER tool it seems. So it will be a while until it's release.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

No need to reach for a 414 when for less than £50/53 euros you can snag one of these http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_ecm_8000.htm flat as a pancake and it was the good dude that is Dan Worrall whom gave me a heads up on this gem about 3 or 4 years ago.

The only flatter I've heard personally is a set/pair of those very nice but with a price to match very small diaphragm Omni jobs by Earthworks (QTC Series IRRC). I'll admit that I haven't taken time to demo many as ruler flat as is possible microphones so am far from an authority. Still it faired exceptionally well considering just one of the (QTC) 50 mics will set you back $1399/Over £1000!

Just a tip in case anyone is wanting a dirt cheap but really quite good measurement/reference mic. Plus unless for example when the package is released Slate may decide to voice the included microphone(s) to prevent easily using as suggested, The Behringer would make for a very good contender as a mic to use for adding the characteristics of another on to it. I've not tried any of the plugins by MathAudio but again IIRC they do a microphone matching (and other matching such as pickups) plugins, I suppose the only problem with that is you need to get your hands on the microphone(s) which you wish to match via the software, Still for a day or so of rental costs of some stalwarts it might well be a very viable alternative to dropping far more than the price of a very well stocked home studio setup on one Pearlman TM 1 or TM-250...etc.

The almighty B, Our dear friends as always :D Just my 2 pence FWIW

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
That's not cheap, but not completely unreasonable either. If it does what it says to any reasonable degree of success, then it's not a bad price at all. The idea of modelling of SM57 seems kind of funny to me though. If I ever need an SM57, why wouldn't I just use an SM57 in conjunction with the Slate VMS, instead of trying to model it with the VMS? I mean, it's what? A $70 microphone?
Do you have a spare neve 1073 though? That's also a big part of this product. :)
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/Take 5/ASM Hydrasynth
Korg Prologue16\Behringer DM12D/Pro-800/Meris Pedals

Compyfox wrote:I don't think that it will be hardware bound only, because as you can see at this mark:
http://youtu.be/_rzzoFCm8qk?t=5m24s
It's hardware+software. Slate has already said that they have no plans to sell the software separately since what makes this work so well is how calibrated the models are to the microphone and preamp.

I asked some sparrows, and I've get to get a definite answer. But one thing is for sure... no beta yet - it's in development state. And as we all know by now with Slate Digital, things can drastically change until the release.

So chances are that the software might be(!) available at a later state independent from the hardware. I mean, it would even make sense - since not everyone can afford a hardware/software bundle. And people want to use it without the microphone as well. More customers, more income, which in turn can be used for further development.

Competition is good for business - I think this is not the end of it.

Regarding the all mightly "Behringer" - unfortunately the ECM8000 is a small membrane condenser microphone. While this is indeed a good value for your invested money... large membrane microphones can pick up some signals that small membranes can not (a couple of Hz more in both the upper and lower region). Unfortunately, the B2 Pro is not flat - else I'd recommend that one.

Furthermore, the mics presented in the videos are Cardioid, not Omnidirectional. The ECM8000 is an Omni Mic.

I know that the Q regarding rebuilts (microphone) pops up once in a while on GearSlutz. So I'm pretty sure there is even a C414 alternative by some noname company that I haven't heard of yet. But doesn't cost me almost 600EUR to get one.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

As you might be able to tell I didn't watch the video mate. I'm going to have a look at it now.
I can vouch for AKG's C214 if you want a 414 sans all the bells and whistles for use as an all purpose LDC cardioid from vocals to overheads. It just works on pretty much anything I've tried it on. Granted it does not do as the wide cardioid which the C414 B/ULS does but other than that I haven't noticed a difference in regular cardioid position. That'll save you a fair chunk of change.
I haven't seen or heard of any onehunglow C414 but hey if you do please give me a shout as I'd be interested in taking a punt on one :)

As for the Slate mic system and the integration with modelled pre-amps it is appealing but at that price point along with the expansions that'll come I'm pretty content with doing it the way I'm used to with the nothing special but get a fair job done range of mic's and pre-amps I've gathered over the years. Still it is too early to say it won't be worth the initial outlay and I'll want in. Time will do that

Best as always and to all :tu:

Dean

The "sparrows" contacted me - and as of this moment, nothing is really set in stone yet. It's Slate's usual (IMO great) viral marketing. An early alpha to show what might be possible, which can then be built upon. No testing going on yet either.

Changes are we might not see a release until later that year. But I hope that Slate is actually reading along, picking up ideas and then turn this concept into something that might revolutionize the market yet again (even though Slate wasn't the first with a Microhpne Modeler, but I'm sure he's thinking different, moves things "forward").

Oh, and I'm also for a clean preamp in the signal chain with VMS. Sometimes I really do not need a Neve or random Tube preamp to beef up microphone signals.

I'm seeing $999:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VMS

Oops. Dead thread walking. :dog:

Well it's out, and it is $999. :D

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”