Korg MS20 Reissue (and NOT the mini)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kritikon wrote:
The Moog Sub 37 will kill the MS-20 kit..
That thing looks very hard to beat.
I doubt it. I don't see a Korg MS even being in competition with any kind of Moog. They sound utterly different. If I want a Moog filter sound, I buy a Moog. If I want a Korg MS filter sound, I buy a Korg. I wouldn't be daft enough to even try and make either sound like the other...
I was thinking value for money. Korg released the mini not too long ago...anybody who wanted an ms-20 probably bought that (I have the legacy collection and the Ms-20 controller bought for about 400, as a bonus, I get polyphony)
The Moog sub 37 sounds amazing. It has bits in it the sub phatty doesn't have. It has aftertouch, it will have a step sequencer at some point...a no brainer for me :-)
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

I think it's a smart move by Korg.

People complained about the size of the MS20 mini, the mini jacks, the type of filter used, etc. So here is the full size version with everything people have been asking for, including different filter types.

The DIY approach could be a marketing gimmick, but then anything that makes these synths sell is good in my book, since the more Korg sells, the more chance of new analog stuff being released? I think that would serve us all, even those who complain now (but would love new toys to play with later on) .

I'd rather take the DIY approach then risk being ripped off on ebay getting the vintage MS20!
Last edited by himalaya on Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

The DIY part is def a gimmick, there's not much to do.

price seems ok, i'd def get a new one over an original if i was inclined.

Kriminal wrote:terabbyt"]
Kriminal wrote:Makes you wonder why they bothered with the mini version...
No, it doesnt.

Yeah, it does actually.[/quote]
No, it doesn't. The kit is an expensive, limited edition that most people won't get. Hence, the continued need for the mini.

Cheeso wrote:The kit is an expensive, limited edition that most people won't get. Hence, the continued need for the mini.
Some will, some won't.
Combined Korg get it all ;)
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

What I like about the kit is that it says 'solderless' and no special tools needed. With very limited experience soldering, I wouldn't trust my skills to such a project (without plenty of practice on smaller items first)! If I were to suddenly come into some extra money (not!) I would very tempted to go for it. I think it would be a really fun project. :)

But as it is, I already have the Mini so even though this seems pretty cool, it doesn't automatically jump out at me as much as it otherwise might. What I'm really interested in at the moment is the Moog Sub 37!

If I had to make a decision at this moment and I could only choose two things, I think I would go for a Prophet 12 and the Sub 37.

The reality is that I will have to be practical and not get anything at all - and just use what I already have (for crying out loud!). But it is fun to talk about it, lol. The Moog might be do-able though, so it's very tempting. Of the two (Moog vs MS20) I would have to go with Moog. It seems they did a really nice job on the Sub 37.
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Seems like they found a way to reduce their assembly and shipping costs is all.
If the trend continues, they'll be selling them through Ikea by next year.
(Almost like Moog did going through RadioShack.) :hihi:

EDIT: kritikon; technically there is very little difference between the ms-10 and ms-20, the 20 is pretty much just an additional osc + filter and some other stuff tacked on. They did make some minor changes to try to address issues with various parts of the ms-10 circuits but the differences in most cases aren't notable.

If ms-10 were the preference though I think you're better off with the original. I can't see them reissuing it unless this ms-20 is incredibly successful.

I'm interested though to know more about what you noted was different/preferable about the ms-10 for you. Were you comparing both with the original filter?

The only thing I can think is that the VCA is lower distortion and more linear response in the ms-20, while the filters in series multiply the distortion of the fet-sziklai buffers and diode clamps.

I suppose you'd want to bypass the highpass, that would get you most of the way there.
Last edited by aciddose on Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

For that kind of money, couldn't you get a broadly equivalent 'proper' modular up and running?

aciddose wrote:Krim; technically there is very little difference between the ms-10 and ms-20, the 20 is pretty much just an additional osc + filter and some other stuff tacked on. They did make some minor changes to try to address issues with various parts of the ms-10 circuits but the differences in most cases aren't notable.

If ms-10 were the preference though I think you're better off with the original. I can't see them reissuing it unless this ms-20 is incredibly successful.

I'm interested though to know more about what you noted was different/preferable about the ms-10 for you. Were you comparing both with the original filter?

The only thing I can think is that the VCA is lower distortion and more linear response in the ms-20, while the filters in series multiply the distortion of the fet-sziklai buffers and diode clamps.

I suppose you'd want to bypass the highpass, that would get you most of the way there.

???

I never mentioned the MS10....

Cheeso wrote: No, it doesn't. The kit is an expensive, limited edition that most people won't get. Hence, the continued need for the mini.
Really...so you know how limited its going to be do you?

...and its not expensive, the price seems spot on.
Last edited by Kriminal on Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Limited edition of 1000 pieces. Quite a long run for a limited edition, I would say.

EvilDragon wrote:Limited edition of 1000 pieces. Quite a long run for a limited edition, I would say.

...and just the first run...you can bet there will be more.

Kriminal wrote:I never mentioned the MS10....
Sorry! Was kritikon :)
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Kriminal wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Limited edition of 1000 pieces. Quite a long run for a limited edition, I would say.

...and just the first run...you can bet there will be more.
Agreed...To add I can bet that at some point korg will reissue another old analog

Tbh korg make awesome synthesizers,they always have but why not bring in a NEW analogue for this current analogue trend(ok they kind of already have with the monotron and volca range) but I mean a full blown modern poly analogue by korg would bound to shift thousands of units?
live 11 / Arturia collection / many Softube plug ins / thats it

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”