Korg MS20 Reissue (and NOT the mini)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Utterly ridiculous move by korg...

"Hey guys let's produce the ms20 parts and GET THE BUYER TO BUILD IT!??...lmfao..."oh let's make it limited edition to flare up panic buying'

I will settle for the mini will cost less and I don't have to build..
live 11 / Arturia collection / many Softube plug ins / thats it

it's not so much build as it is 'put it together'

no soldering required... no scopes required...

do you know how to use lego ?

then you should have no problems putting this together.

it's A-OK with me if it helps shave some duckets off the asking price.

Does this version have a midi in?

aMUSEd wrote:Does this version have a midi in?
yes.

it's identical to the ms20mini except for the fact it's 100% the same size as the original, the ms20mini is 86%. it uses 1/4" patch jacks, the ms20mini uses 1/8", it has both filter types, the ms20mini 'just' has the first one.

oh, and it's limited edition. the ms20mini isn't. though who knows what they mean by limited, in terms of numbers that is.

http://www.kvraudio.com/news/korg-annou ... -kit-24753

ChiTown24 wrote:
yes.

it's identical to the ms20mini except for the fact it's 100% the same size as the original, the ms20mini is 86%. it uses 1/4" patch jacks, the ms20mini uses 1/8", it has both filter types, the ms20mini 'just' has the first one.
That's interesting - so it's not 100% identical to the original then. Probably a good thing in that respect.

I don't wonder why they released the mini. It was to sell more stuff and make more money.

I wouldn't buy it without seeing the schematic first. A ton of questions about how they've implemented various parts and whether they might have fixed "bugs" from the original.

The chassis and keyboard are without a doubt the most expensive to produce on your own, with the pots and sockets closely behind and the PCB next.

Chassis you might manage, keyboard would be a real problematic affair to sort out if you wanted to build your own version of this. You might get ultra lucky and find a 32-note keyboard with the right sort of quality switches.

To get the chassis silk-screening in this sort of perfect condition you'd need to invest a lot of effort.

The wheels are easier, although not entirely easy!

I'd expect they've replaced the original garbage keyboard and gate circuit with a digital keyboard. The original had the issue of "recycle the sampling capacitor as a glide" like a lot of other synthesizers. It also required a dual switch bus with the gate closing after the CV in order for the sampling to work correctly.

If the keyboard is midi I'd wonder what on earth the point is of having it at all. A ms-20 "module" in exactly the same format minus the keyboard and wheels would make a lot more sense. You could throw it on top of virtually any controller, and it would reduce the size/weight/cost of the unit significantly.

Of questionable value in general, but if you ever wanted an accurate ms-20 clone this would certainly be worth the asking price.

Of course I've never wanted such a thing. First thing I'd do with a ms-20 is to "fix" all those "bugs" about it that I hate.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

I really had hoped for a MS50mini.....

About the previous post, if they made an 'accurate' reissue, for the ones searching for an alternative for 'the real (old) thing', many would complain there is no MIDI/USB. And the old thing had issues that are not solved. Etc.
If they do a version with some updates and useful additions, many will complain it is not 'the real thing'.
So whatever, Korg can't do right it seems.

About the price of this DIY version, I think it is high, the alternative is the mini with a decent large key master keyboard. If you don't have that, the total price (master keyboard + DIY MS20) could be fair, but as many do have a keyboard they like this DIY version may not be that attractive. Unless e.g. you want to use it on stage and need the large keys.

But for next year (or MusikMesse), a MS50mini please.

The Moog Sub 37 will kill the MS-20 kit..
That thing looks very hard to beat.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Other thought, as it can be broken down into small pieces, why didn't Korg make an Eurorack module version? Maybe divided in two parts, the synth engine and the MIDI/USB interface.

and for next year the MS50 Eurorack :hihi:

i am so happy i am not tempted to spend 1.5k on it :) i like Korg added a DIY flavour to the sale

I wonder what the warranty will be on a DIY MS-20.....
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

The Moog Sub 37 will kill the MS-20 kit..
That thing looks very hard to beat.
I doubt it. I don't see a Korg MS even being in competition with any kind of Moog. They sound utterly different. If I want a Moog filter sound, I buy a Moog. If I want a Korg MS filter sound, I buy a Korg. I wouldn't be daft enough to even try and make either sound like the other...

Must admit I like a lot of what Korg has been doing in recent years. I'm not sure how many people will be willing to pay the extra for full size against the minor irritant of a slightly smaller ready-made. It's the only brainfart I can see in what has mostly been superb market attack by Korg.

I agree with the MS50 thing - I can see it happening though. Maybe even a vocoder rerelease...or an MS10. I'd be in the queue to buy a new one of those, with stable VCO. I preferred the sound of the MS10 to the 20. Only got rid of it because of the tuning issues.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”