Arturia BEATSTEP - Controller & Sequencer - usb/midi/cv-gate

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

d-s-m wrote:
Kriminal wrote:
d-s-m wrote:wish they would make something like this as a standalone unit
It is
you have to have it plugged into something else for it to work, it cant make sounds on its own, surely?
Yes, as vurt said, thats the nature of the beast. it doesnt have to be connected to a computer tho...

d-s-m wrote:you have to have it plugged into something else for it to work, it cant make sounds on its own, surely?
It's a sequencer, just a master or a slave ;)

If you want something tiny hands-on that makes sounds by itself, the Korg Volca line is worth a look instead
Last edited by Numanoid on Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vurt wrote:
d-s-m wrote:
Kriminal wrote:
d-s-m wrote:wish they would make something like this as a standalone unit
It is
you have to have it plugged into something else for it to work, it cant make sounds on its own, surely?
then it would be a synth or drum machine and not a step sequencer ;)
And they already make two of those.

Kriminal wrote:
Gonga wrote: If it's a mini usb how can it power the unit when connected to a pc? I though you needed a full-size usb connect for power (it sounds like this is incorrect) :?
Mini usb will power it from pc or from wall plug.
Thanks - I think I was mixing it up in my mind with Firewire - where the smaller plug has no power...
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

i'm worried that the knobs will be the same screw job as the arturia minlab.
check this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1beOX3YV5v4

look how much turning he has to do for so little changes on the semV.
for example check at 0:20...he has to tun the knob like 3 times to for an half turn of the semV cutoff.
on the minilab there was simply no way of having a 1:1 ratio cos the acceleration would always be an offsetting factor. very frustrating and had to return it.
the knobs of the beatstep seem to have the same annoying behavior judging by the few videos released.

umm you can change the resolution if you're not a dopey end user

I'm going to have to seriously look at this. I've got a Korg Nanopad but it is just too flimsy. I didn't like the pads on the CME controller I tried. And I refuse to buy another Akai after the MPD-24 I had got bricked by an OS upgrade and Akai was no help.

Yet to see a video with it synced to a DAW.. :help:

Looks nice..

inf0tr8r wrote:umm you can change the resolution if you're not a dopey end user
on the minlab there was no resolution adjustment so how do you even know there will be one for the beatstep>? and anyway the issue on the milab was not related to resolution but to some shitty acceleration mechanism on the encoders which wias always there no matter what (with fast acceleration it was less evident but still annoying) .
in the video i posted that's the guy from arturia...u would have thought he'd have the best settings to control a softsynth....but yet you see him struggle to make the right adjustment.

if the arturia guy can make a video where the knob movement is 1:1 with that of a softsynth parameteer (for example an half turn doing an half turn on softsynth) i'd buy one up instantly. but something tells me it 's the same flawed accelerated knobs of the minilab.

Are these shipping yet? Has anyone here gotten one? Will be interested in any hands on user reviews!

inf0tr8r wrote:umm you can change the resolution if you're not a dopey end user
The voice of someone who never tried the minilab?

IMO, the implementation of the encoder acceleration made it *almost* unusable for various common applications. Fine for some minor patch tweaking, but If you needed to modulate a parameter accurately between 2 points in realtime (or without consulting the screen constantly) it left a lot to be desired.

However, this system would probably be less of an issue on the Beatstep given its different functionality, but the encoders sure do have a familiar family look in the pictures.

Also, it's possible I might just dislike continuous encoders :evil:

Hopefully someone will give a hands on user review so we can get an idea of the real world use without the marketing aspect.

relayer wrote:Hopefully someone will give a hands on user review so we can get an idea of the real world use without the marketing aspect.
More reviews are always good. But, the "the real world use without the marketing aspect"? It's a step sequencer, with USB input & output, Midi out, and CV/Gate out. Details are found in the downloadable manual. What more do you want to know? I've never seen any marketing bullshit surrounding it...

I love my new Beatstep!! But I have one(!) (big) issue with it:
- It has no multi-client driver in Windows. Some functions are only accessible in midi control center. So in order to access them (like gate time e.g.) I have to disable the Midi driver in Cubase every time.
I'm sure Brute users using Windows would like a multi-client driver too. And Spark(LE) could use one too. (though less of an issue for me, since I mostly use it in conjunction with the VSTi)

olikana wrote:i'm worried that the knobs will be the same screw job as the arturia minlab.
check this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1beOX3YV5v4

look how much turning he has to do for so little changes on the semV.
for example check at 0:20...he has to tun the knob like 3 times to for an half turn of the semV cutoff.
on the minilab there was simply no way of having a 1:1 ratio cos the acceleration would always be an offsetting factor. very frustrating and had to return it.
the knobs of the beatstep seem to have the same annoying behavior judging by the few videos released.
I would like that behavior though on something that I was adjusting pitch on. I can see it being annoying for fast programming or full sweeps, but a real blessing on step sequencer. Especially for live use as you can change in real time and probably mechanically learn how much rotation is an interval fairly easily.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”