Analog Guitar Pedals v. Digital Modeling Pedals?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Everyone,

Stupid question, but what is the difference between these two? For example, how does an analog overdrive stomp box work differently than a DigiTech, Line 6 or other modeling-based overdrive pedal? Am I correct that the analog box takes the guitar signal and processes it directly by running it through transistors and other electronic components, while the digital modeling pedal applies a digital model of the effect of those transistors and other electronic components to the signal?

Thanks!

you are correct. The models don't really get into the nitty gritty component-level, though, they typically model a specific effect/pedal/amp as a whole*

*newer stuff might just do that.
Meh.

Thanks!

Analog pedals don't do AD/DA conversion, bypass is truely bypass.
A digital pedal will still pass your signal through the AD & DA converters, the output signal will have a slightly different level & impedance. Also it's very hard to make digital audio hardware without any latency. There will always be a small buffer on the input & output stages. That will delay your signal some milliseconds (same as moving some feets away from your amp)

With a digital guitar effects pedal chances are you create a handful of presets and leave it like that after a while. With an analog pedal chances are you find one nice setting, you leave it like that and just switch it on & off. Happy accidents with wrong settings happen.. Having multiple analog pedals means you'll become a tapdancer as well.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

In the case of overdrive, an analog one most likely do some eq(pre-shaping) and boost signal level a bit - and the overdrive is supposed to happend in your regular amp. So pedal helps creating a higher signal level at first stage in amp - and create more distortion that way.

A digital overdrive will also create distortion by itself - before amp. And all do the AD->DA conversions as BertKoor states.

Digital Modeling Pedal is also fine for me, but'em depend on quality and their technology.

I use BIAS/JamUp of Positive Grid by iOS, quite nice tone, and convience :)

I have a multiwave distortion from Soundblox and a fuzz pedal from devi ever. each pedal do their unique charm.
same thing happen if i choose to use my Blackstar amp or Kuassa's amp plugins, both can shape my guitar track perfectly. :)
My pop band, a rock n roll band and an industrial groove machine.
https://soundcloud.com/helmproyek

Found one of these 1/2 an hour away from home for $149 AUD...Monday's a public holiday so I'm gritting my teeth until Tuesday..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwJ6FwCb7dQ
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”