Beginners advice on moving away from VST's

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tricky-Loops wrote:
aciddose wrote:For example loading up my own host (I think savihost and a few others can do this) I can play on my PC keyboard and send midi out to my alpha-juno, the audio then comes back into the PC from the aj keyboard (1 out).
I've never done this. If it's possible, then I stand half-corrected...

Anyway, the intention of the OP was to send MIDI from a DAW to a keyboard, not from a simple host like SaviHost!
ffs, I can send midi from cubase to any of my hardware synths.

@Tricky ... I send MIDI from Live via my Audio Interface to all of my hardware synths ... (some are keyboards, some are not). Been doing it since the 90's with an Atari and Pro-12. It's very common.
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aciddose wrote:Keyboard is the usual name for a synthesizer+keyboard anyway. If that is the misunderstanding, that's tricky's issue not the OP. The OP had it right.

Not technically right, which I can appreciate, sure. Normally I'd be the one arguing that everyone is a moron for calling a synthesizer a keyboard just because it has a keyboard attached to it. Still though, it doesn't really cause that much confusion, does it?

He obviously meant a synthesizer+keyboard.
For me a keyboard is a keyboard, and a synthesizer is a synthesizer, so a synthesizer can have a keyboard but a keyboard cannot have a synthesizer... :P

Now I'm totally confused, I need a beer... :help:

... maybe less beer?

bluedad wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:
aciddose wrote:For example loading up my own host (I think savihost and a few others can do this) I can play on my PC keyboard and send midi out to my alpha-juno, the audio then comes back into the PC from the aj keyboard (1 out).

Anyway, the intention of the OP was to send MIDI from a DAW to a keyboard, not from a simple host like SaviHost!
Of course, otherwise nobody could make live gigs...

It was only the term "keyboard" that confused me...

What's your budget, what kind of sounds are you looking for and will you be buying more hardware in the future?

Tricky-Loops wrote:
bluedad wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:

Of course, otherwise nobody could make live gigs...

It was only the term "keyboard" that confused me...
dude, my roland a33 76 key controller has a midi in and that things has been around for a long time..also there are yamaha and casio 'personal keyboards' (you know the ones, they have speakers and often are regarded as toys...basically bought my family nice xmas presents with those things flying off the shelves around xmas when I was in retail), they quite often have a GM soundbank so I dont know what your hang-up about the use of the 'keyboard' is all about...my a33 has a 'thru'...maybe that will clear it up some for you as to why they might put a midi in on a keyboard :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Tricky-Loops wrote:[For me a keyboard is a keyboard, and a synthesizer is a synthesizer, so a synthesizer can have a keyboard but a keyboard cannot have a synthesizer... :P
You mean "MAY not" right? because kayboards CAN have synthesizers, that's for sure :hihi:

Let me rephrase for you: A synthesizer can have a keyboard, but not all keyboards are synthesizers.

That's what you meant, right?
Fernando (FMR)

I agree with Planetearth, I guess it makes more sense to optimize the computer than to go hardware again.
I was thinking about that as well a few months ago when I was pissed by my DAW, CPU etc. But I have switched to another DAW now, cleaned up my computer, now stuff runs very reliably.
The problem with hardware is that you pay much more and only get one instance so to speak. That is the main drawback in my view. And when it breaks, you have to have it repaired or replaced, if you still got warranty on it. With software that is not the case, you just reinstall it if necessary. But good soft synths are also very reliable. And you usually get updates for free.

I do think there is a certain charm about a good arranger keyboard, I might get one in addition to the computer-based system one day. Brand models in the 2k range sound very professional these days, basically they are complete mini studios.

Afaik 'keyboards' include any device with a built-in keyboard, be it piano, master keyboard, synthesizer...
My Midi controller (no sound inside) also has a Midi In connection, but I have never used it so far.

fmr wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:[For me a keyboard is a keyboard, and a synthesizer is a synthesizer, so a synthesizer can have a keyboard but a keyboard cannot have a synthesizer... :P
Let me rephrase for you: A synthesizer can have a keyboard, but not all keyboards are synthesizers.

:tu:

I'm thinking about buying a synthkeyboardisizer...

Tricky-Loops wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:
maudioradium wrote:...so that I can just port all the midi notes from my PC sequencer into the keyboard and have no issues with the VST's...
:?:

Since when do keyboards have a MIDI IN?
Since MIDI was invented pretty much. How else would you sequence a hardware synth (for example)?

@OP sounds like you want a workststion. KORG Triton, or similar ...
I have never routed MIDI from my sequencer to the keyboard but always from the keyboard to the sequencer... :shrug:
So ... you work in the box. Maybe this thread isnt for you ... :shrug:
You still haven't explained how you send MIDI (from a DAW) to a (hardware) keyboard...

If you send MIDI to a hardware workstation or to a hardware sequencer, THAT's possible - but not to a keyboard!
thats not true. if you have a controller/keyboard (of course without sound) and you want to see the faders move up and down how do you think the keyboard received the control-data without midi-in? :lol:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Tricky-Loops wrote:
fmr wrote:

:tu:

I'm thinking about buying a synthkeyboardisizer...

you dont get it, you're wrong..10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000% wrong...you dont stand half corrected, you stand totally corrected...perhaps it's a language barrier...here look at all these personal Keyboards

https://www.google.com/search?q=persona ... channel=sb
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I hybrid.
I never really use the onboard sequencers of my workstations, unless it's just a simple drum and bass line. The resolution is the one thing that keeps me depending on a DAW solution. When dealing with the same problems the OP is talking about (which most are now solved by having better computer components), I used a different approach and still have the equipment using that approach. Sometimes, I still prefer to use them over the whole ITB solutions that have their own quirks.
So I have a workstation, a synth keyboard and three modules. I also have a digital multitrack recorder with it's own effects for vocals. My VSTs mostly are for sampled sounds and newer type synths not covered as well by my hardware (Granular/Spectral) and the other wavetable/VA stuff that came in some bundle. I still always think about CPU load, even though I have a two CPU 16c (2x8c) system.

I had reached a point where I was done with all VSTs and the problems of having to update my system because of them. Endless cycle... but it seems the systems are finally being able to do the job now. Still, my hardware is as integral to my system as anything in the box. And being able to split the load makes it much less of a chore.

I currently use the hardware I mentioned above and two controllers. (I would like to add a pedalboard too as soon as I can find one that connects via USB). This is because we often arm several tracks at once to allow us a more 'live' feeling approach.

murnau wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote: If you send MIDI to a hardware workstation or to a hardware sequencer, THAT's possible - but not to a keyboard!
thats not true. if you have a controller/keyboard (of course without sound) and you want to see the faders move up and down how do you think the keyboard received the control-data without midi-in? :lol:
You can send MIDI to whatever has a MIDI In connection (mixers, FX pedals, light consoles, etc.). What they do with the data, that's something you have to find out by reading the manuals.

MIDI is an open protocol, and what's travellling in the cables is just a bunch of digital data. Note messages are the main messages, but you have other types of messages, including some really complex ones, that are exclusive to a certain device (System exclusive data). Through this protocol, you may even update the operating system of hardware synths (Waldorf used this method, for example), and you can archive a complete configuration for a synth or a keyboard, in order to be able to restore it exactly as you need it later.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”