Beginners advice on moving away from VST's

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SayersWeb wrote:This was my studio around ten years ago...

These days, the only hardware synth that makes it into my music is the Virus TI, and that is because it acts like a VST plug-in. My musical productivity now is so much greater than when I had all of the hardware synths. Given the choice, I would never go back to a hardware based setup.
That looks beautiful :)

Btw. I have a mixed setup with software and 12 HW synths (+ some dsp accelerated stuff sitting on PCI). The only ones that have given any trouble are software synths. And mainly the copy protections they use.

HW is truly plug & play.. And total recall.. and perfect timing.. and easy automation.

Software is hours and hours of installing and debugging and crashing.. And problems getting old projects to load.
Ask anyone who's installed Komplete.. or bought a new HD.. or used bridging.. or updated their OS for security reasons.. or has a Mac..
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

These days, the only hardware synth that makes it into my music is the Virus TI, and that is because it acts like a VST plug-in. My musical productivity now is so much greater than when I had all of the hardware synths. Given the choice, I would never go back to a hardware based setup.
What I find disturbing is that I still own just about every piece of kit in that photo. But my studio is much smaller, with synths propped on end against the wall that haven't been plugged in in ten years, old papers and boxes and cables piled everywhere, and a thick layer of dust on everything. Another argument in favor of software. :help:
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Can I have all that stuff now?

Just...you know...just wonderin'.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

deastman wrote: What I find disturbing is that I still own just about every piece of kit in that photo. But my studio is much smaller, with synths propped on end against the wall that haven't been plugged in in ten years, old papers and boxes and cables piled everywhere, and a thick layer of dust on everything. Another argument in favor of software. :help:
Poor synths. :(
Advise for people with hardware synths and a dislike for regular dusting: buy dustcovers that fit each synth! :wink:

planetearth wrote: Can I have all that stuff now?

Steve
I'd even pay a few £/$/€ for that andromeda. :oops: :D

T-CM11 wrote:

Steve
Are you trying to start a bidding war here, T-CM11? First I offer nothing, then you decide you can top that and offer something? Well, I'll see your something--and I'll offer just a little bit more!

Ha! I'd like to see you top that!

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

I'll pay those peanuts you're offering, and ADD...... my eternal gratitude, on top. 8)

tapper mike wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:
tapper mike wrote:Dammit I miss my old command station. However they weren't GM compatible.
GM, the ancestor of the mp3, and the birth of elevator/supermarket music. :D
Um no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_MIDI
I know what it is!! Stop being so literal and think about it (the mp3 thing). :wink:

Hardware is for performers/players.

For production working ITB is far more easy and convenient, it can really boost productivity.
dedication to flying

LOL... I always kept the music studio very tidy. It was my man cave. :)
deastman wrote: What I find disturbing is that I still own just about every piece of kit in that photo. But my studio is much smaller, with synths propped on end against the wall that haven't been plugged in in ten years, old papers and boxes and cables piled everywhere, and a thick layer of dust on everything. Another argument in favor of software. :help:

T-CM11 wrote:

Steve
The Andro really is a beautiful synth... it has a beautiful sound character.

rod_zero wrote:Hardware is for performers/players.

For production working ITB is far more easy and convenient, it can really boost productivity.
it depends on the hardware...if you're speaking hardware instruments then I pretty much agree with you but might I add also for those who want to learn to play and also those who seek greater understanding by playing (even if it's marginal like me as a keyboard player...I'm not a keyboard play but I use my keyboard to write and perform my parts so I can play 'my stuff"). But when it comes to other things like fx and dp not always is it for the performers/players :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

mkdr wrote:HW is truly plug & play.. And total recall.. and perfect timing.. and easy automation.

Software is hours and hours of installing and debugging and crashing.. And problems getting old projects to load.
Ask anyone who's installed Komplete.. or bought a new HD.. or used bridging.. or updated their OS for security reasons.. or has a Mac..
I've had the opposite experience. Granted, I stopped being hardware-centric in the early 90s.

I do not miss dealing with bad cables and bad jacks, arrays of power strips and boxes of batteries, controllers that fail partially or completely, terrible tiny displays, limited instances and polyphony, needing more cables and mixer channels to do more stuff, and trying to find space to put everything.

Software = far more convenient and cost-effective than hardware, by far. "Hours of debugging and crashing" rarely happens. The couple of hours every couple of years or so to install a new Komplete version takes practically zero effort.

I used hardware for ~5 years and software for about three times that, and I've had a lot less trouble with software and can do far more with it, faster and cheaper.

foosnark wrote:
mkdr wrote:HW is truly plug & play.. And total recall.. and perfect timing.. and easy automation.

I've had the opposite experience. Granted, I stopped being hardware-centric in the early 90s.

I do not miss dealing with bad cables and bad jacks, arrays of power strips and boxes of batteries, controllers that fail partially or completely, terrible tiny displays, limited instances and polyphony, needing more cables and mixer channels to do more stuff, and trying to find space to put everything.

Software = far more convenient and cost-effective than hardware, by far. "Hours of debugging and crashing" rarely happens. The couple of hours every couple of years or so to install a new Komplete version takes practically zero effort.

I used hardware for ~5 years and software for about three times that, and I've had a lot less trouble with software and can do far more with it, faster and cheaper.
100% agree and subscribe! (and I am still using and buying hardware).
Fernando (FMR)

I've run out of MIDI Ports UGH.

MIDI in/ MIDI Out and MIDI Thru will only get ya so far.

I had to buy a 4x4 MIDI Port (4 MIDI In's x 4 MIDI Out's). Still not really enough.

I'm going to be purchasing a MOTU midi 8x8 here soon in the next couple of months.

How do you people with huge MIDI hardware get by????

Some of my hardware does not have MIDI Thru ports that seems to be my hang up with hardware - running out of cables and MIDI ports.

I mostly use Softsynths VST and DAWs but sometimes its nice to just jam with the hardware and sequence everything hardware wise then port it all over to my DAWs. just depends on my creativity at the time.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”