The drum machine is dead. LONG LIVE THE DRUM MACHINE!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.

Do you use hardware drum synths or software and samples only?

Hardware drum synths all the way, how dare you use a computer!
3%
Software and samples only please.
32%
Software or hardware is fine as long it it gets me where I want to go.
55%
You'll pry my x0x box out of my cold dead hands.
1%
I hit things with sticks. (sometimes fish)
9%

Total votes: 105

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I like to bash one out on the 4x4 or 2x8. That is therapy for me.

Kriminal wrote:Ive just bought a DR220a and DR550....last year i bought (sampled and sold) DR660 and SR16. Year before it was the R5.

Looking into getting a modded TR505....
dr550 mkII get 626 over 505, for the gate trig
- unless there is something about the 505 i don't know.
(edit:sorry missed your point: 'modded'..)
Last edited by mztk on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I have to admit that tempest has a very low profile online when it comes to demos etc....but it's a hell of a machine if you happen to own one. For sure it's a rich guys toy but it delivers some amazing sounds without ever having to read the manual. If you can't get this thing to sing in the first ten minutes well maybe music isn't your thing. It's a full on prophet that happens to be driven by a linn ...if you can imagine it then this thing can do it..just tweak and play.

kritikon wrote:Following on from Ghettosynth - you're probably right, in that if I think back, mostly it was the sequencers themselves that utimately put me off drum machines. You tended to get a great set of sounds but with a crappy sequencer, or a really good sequencer that was intuitive to use but coupled with tedious sounds. Probably the most useable would be a proper analogue sequencer coupled with something that can do fluid analogue style tweaking of digital sounds - which basically means prohibitively expensive, such as physical modelling. I can see a sequencer attached to the insides of 16 Korg Wavedrums being really useable. Unfortunately only by a handful of people due to price.
I meant to reply, and I forgot, too bad, this is a better thread than the other one. But anyway, isn't that where software is king these days? I'm still not feeling the need to go to a separate box for sound. What I see the need for is good musical interfaces to the box.

I hated having to deal with the limited sounds in my first drum machines. Even the SR-16 became tiring after a while owing to the trendy use of effects and the emphasis on rock drums. I think that I probably made the most music with a Korg DDD-1, but I had shit for cards and I did not have the sampler.

I don't get on with non-xox programming. I either like step sequencing, or using a trigger pad (real drum pad) and sticks to program rhythms. I can't play with my fingers for the life of me. So, for me, except for the xox machines, pretty much all drum machines in the past had sucky sequencers, and most had a very limited set of sounds.
And you're right about Roland. They never intended most of their gear to be used the way it was. And unfortunately because they're Roland, they'll never go backwards and get it down pat and make yesterday's hits with today's functionality. Probably their AIRA things will go on to be famous for completely different uses than fancy modern 808s, 909s and 303s.
Yep, but I'm fed up with talking about their new stuff. They aren't interested in being innovative.
It might even be the basis for a whole new genre, after all acid etc wouldn't have been what it was without a whole slew of Roland kit. :shrug:
Perhaps, I find this unlikely. What takes you there with analog is that you can somtimes push it where it wasn't meant to go, this doesn't happen so much with digital. Although I thought the cool FM acid that I posted recently was an exception. Wouldn't it be funny if FB-01s started to be worth a mint!

Although I have a number of drum machines, and did even buy a Volca Beats, I really don't see much value in going with hardware. Just stick with your DAW of choice and a nice controller. I've been very happy lately with Push and Live. The reason I never got Maschine is the same reason my Machinedrum sits unused- too many key combinations to memorize. Too much "hold shift and now this button becomes a different button". Push is large enough and logically laid out enough that its operation quickly becomes incredibly intuitive.

As for software, I have most of what is available, and I like working with different interfaces. The only ones which really frustrate me are the D16 plugins, which perfectly capture the worst of x0x interfaces. The first thing I always do is figure out how to shut off their internal sequencers and just sequence then from the DAW.

For me, the most rewarding use of hardware is creating my own drum sounds on my modular. Synthesizing my own unique impression of an 808 cowbell, and then sampling several variations of that for later use... Now that's fun!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Elektron RYTM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eov9iFyEGc0

If I were going to get a hardware drum synth, it would need this sort of versatility to interest me.

deastman wrote:The reason I never got Maschine is the same reason my Machinedrum sits unused- too many key combinations to memorize. Too much "hold shift and now this button becomes a different button". Push is large enough and logically laid out enough that its operation quickly becomes incredibly intuitive.
Honestly, with Maschine (though I can't speak for Maschine Mikro) there's very little memorizing to do. 95% of shift functions are labeled on the device, and if they're commonly used (like transpose, undo, etc.) muscle memory takes over quickly anyway.

To each their own though.

justin3am wrote: Maybe try and R8, RS7000, or maybe even an Emu Command Station again (if you can bare the menu structure, the synthesis is really quite deep). Or Maybe something like an MV-8800.
I could never do a Command Station again. I dug it on concept, but hated the menu structure.
justin3am wrote:I really enjoy playing with step sequencers in particular. It doesn't matter if it's event style editing or x0x style editing, I just don't have much skill when it comes to banging on pads.
Nor do I! That's what "quantize" is for. :clown:
justin3am wrote:Anyway, if you are looking for something that is fun to play, maybe look at an MFB-522 a Korg Electribe or a Roland SH-32.
I'm actually looking for something I don't have to play at all. In the end I think I just want a drum synthesizer and I could care less about the sequencer as I like all the software sequencer options I have.
justin3am wrote:If you aren't into Elektron stuff, I won't recommend the Analog RYTM. I, on the other hand, am all over that shit.
I do hate Elektron's excuse for a user interface. Banging out sequences on them is fine, but I remember the multiple steps I had to go though just to audition a kit on my Maschinedrum. Rediculous.
justin3am wrote:I can't comment on the Tempest. I have used one but I didn't spend enough time with it to make a judgement.
I've yet to find a demo track that excited me enough to drop $2K on one.
justin3am wrote:Honestly, it sounds like you have a solution looking for a problem. If you have a workflow that works for you (Machine and such), why let GAS f**k that up? You'll probably just end up frustrated.
Because that is my sickness. :hyper:
justin3am wrote:I'm not saying drum machines are dead... they are alive and kicking over here. :)
But maybe you have just found better solutions itb.
Of course I was being a bit tongue in cheeky on the title to titillate. I just wanted to get a conversation going because, I admit, I'm secretly (nor not so secretly) in love with drum machines.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

ghettosynth wrote: My advice: Get the Nord AND the Mbrane, depending on budget, play them with your software sequencer, a TR-707, or a machine-drum.
I'm currently leaning towards this but I want to demo a Nord Drum II to make sure it's got a sonic edge to software I own.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Shy wrote: And I have some real drums I can record whenever I want, and I have a Wavedrum, it's fun and sounds good.
I saw a demo of the new Wavedrum Global Edition that made me all wet. My worry is... I'm not very good at hand percussion. :oops:
Zerocrossing Media

ghettosynth wrote:People think of them as famous for the techno sound, but, everything that is techno about Roland is just an accident on the way to a jazz fusion concert.
:lol:

You should make this your signature!
Zerocrossing Media

arkmabat wrote:
zerocrossing wrote: I wish I had a drum kit... and talent to play drums... and a place for them...
I'm struggling with that right now. My future roommates look at me like I'm crazy when I explain that I want to bring my electric kit and acoustic with me... :D I hope we get a bottom floor because even the electric kit's bassdrum pedal shakes the floor a lot. :dog: Deserted parks are a great place to practice louder... I'm rambling...
I wouldn't mind a totally digital kit... hell, maybe even the Nord pads plus a Nord Drum 2 would be enough. I just wish I could clone myself and designate my clone to focus on drums/percussion and sequencer duty. Then another clone to wake up with my baby at 2:20...

but I'm not a drummer. I wonder if I really was if I'd hate digital drum kits just like I hate Roland's GR series guitar synths.
Zerocrossing Media

arkmabat wrote:Btw, XOXOXs Bong drum sounds amazing. That thing is well worth the price. I need to get it.
Yeah, sounds frik'n great! I bought this right after I saw the specs on the TR-8. :hihi:
Zerocrossing Media

kritikon wrote:I can see a sequencer attached to the insides of 16 Korg Wavedrums being really useable.
Forget "inside." Someone needs to make that but have it done by pneumatic robots holding drum sticks.
Zerocrossing Media

zazz wrote:I have to admit that tempest has a very low profile online when it comes to demos etc....but it's a hell of a machine if you happen to own one. For sure it's a rich guys toy but it delivers some amazing sounds without ever having to read the manual. If you can't get this thing to sing in the first ten minutes well maybe music isn't your thing. It's a full on prophet that happens to be driven by a linn ...if you can imagine it then this thing can do it..just tweak and play.
That's exactly my main problem with it. I can make some cool drum sounds on my MoPho, but it's not what you'd call the most thoughtfully designed drum synth and was never intended to be one. I was sad Dave didn't toss out this allegiance to the CEM chip he so loves (he must have a billion of them) and really sit down and use his talent to design a drum synth and not rework a Prophet 08 to be a drum synth.

On the other hand, from demo videos I've seen, I think Linn nailed the sequencer on it and it's probably one of the few modern drum machines that looks fun to use.
Zerocrossing Media

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”