---

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

according to a Waldorf newsletter and an entry in the news section of KVR the first units of Streichfett have been released now.

KVR news:
http://www.kvraudio.com/news/waldorf-re ... ware-26821

There are also additional informations at the website now:
http://www.waldorf-music.info/streichfett-overview

That video seems to be funny, at least IMO...

I do not have a unit myself yet but maybe soon.
Would be interesting to check the changes done since i tested it at the Musikmesse.

UPDATE:
It looks like in soe shops like e.g. Thomann Streichfett will be available next week but not this week. Anyway development seems to be finished.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

It says 'fully polyphonic strings section' - so not paraphonic then or are they just not being very specific?

aMUSEd wrote:It says 'fully polyphonic strings section' - so not paraphonic then or are they just not being very specific?
Fully polyphonic with divide-down oscillators. Using the term "fully polyphonic" with paraphonic synths is not wrong. This has been done with other synths too.

Not totally sure about the "Solo" section. this could be a "normal" polyphonic synths section and it has ony 8 voices of polyphony.

Anyway for those who still didn't realize Streichfett is DSP based. No real analog parts in the sound engine AFAIK. I don't think there is any other DSP based hardware Strings synth so far.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:Anyway for those who still didn't realize Streichfett is DSP based. No real analog parts in the sound engine AFAIK. I don't think there is any other DSP based hardware Strings synth so far.
No analog chorus ensemble?

Seems like there is no analog chorus ensemble in there, yeah.

At Thomann the price seems to be 249 € (incl. VAT):

german: http://www.thomann.de/de/waldorf_streichfett.htm
english: http://www.thomann.de/gb/waldorf_streichfett.htm

Same at Music Store:

german: http://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Wald ... 004545-000
english: http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/GBP/Wald ... 004545-000

and finally also the same at PPC which is my local shop here:
http://www.ppc-music.de/shop/waldorf-st ... modul.html
Ingo Weidner

I noticed there have been some subtle changes to the design:

It looks as though the second layer has gone (which was maybe kinda pointless when the different voices overlap in the way they do for different combinations), but the Ensemble seems to have gained a couple of extra settings, String (whatever that is) and Chorus. I could never quite figure out whether the second layer voice selection (violin/viola) was another control for the Octaves, with the base layer, an octave up or both together. So perhaps the second layer is still there, it's just lost a voicing control?

The split/layer control has changed slightly – looks to be same settings but in a different order and labelling.

The overview and spec on the Waldorf website have been updated, too. The spec used to say the solo section was monophonic, in contradiction to some of the Messe videos, but it now says eight voices. In a way, I hope the bass is monophonic, like that on the Solina.

I wish they'd put up a link to the manual, it'd give me something to do until it arrives and stop me checking the site every few hours :hyper: :oops:

It'll be interesting to see whether the crescendo/release is paraphonic, like the Solina, or individually articulated like the Logan: it'd be cool if there was a control app and it could be changed. It'll certainly be fun to compare the Streichfett directly with those two.

I'm going away for a week at the weekend and I'm betting it arrives next week whilst I'm away :x :help: :lol:
And it is as it is and we take as we find / Always next season's buds on the bough / But I'll never find a better time / Hard though it is to allow / I'll never find a better time / To be alive than now

I love string synths, and I want this. But, if it is not analog, is the only benefit to using this instead of a good VSTi (such as Loomer String) that you get the tactile sensation of turning knobs? I am not saying this to denigrate this synth, but just trying to understand what the benefit would be to having a dedicated digital hardware synth like this.

Thanks!

It's a good question and I feel pretty much the same as you. FWIW, the Rocket's interface is excellent, it offers a huge range of sounds with very little effort, and I imagine the Streichfett will be the same in this regard. They would have had an absolute winner if they'd put the Rocket's filter into the Streichfett.

Uncle E wrote:It's a good question and I feel pretty much the same as you. FWIW, the Rocket's interface is excellent, it offers a huge range of sounds with very little effort, and I imagine the Streichfett will be the same in this regard. They would have had an absolute winner if they'd put the Rocket's filter into the Streichfett.
It would simply not work the same just by adding a simople analog filter. You could morph between the registrations (no simple switch) and that morphing technically is quite complex (and difficult to do with real analog parts). The "animate" FX is for doing that morphing by modulation.
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:It would simply not work the same just by adding a simople analog filter. You could morph between the registrations (no simple switch) and that morphing technically is quite complex (and difficult to do with real analog parts). The "animate" FX is for doing that morphing by modulation.
Be that as it may, an analog filter couldn't hurt and could only help, especially from a marketing perspective.

Uncle E wrote:
Ingonator wrote:It would simply not work the same just by adding a simople analog filter. You could morph between the registrations (no simple switch) and that morphing technically is quite complex (and difficult to do with real analog parts). The "animate" FX is for doing that morphing by modulation.
Be that as it may, an analog filter couldn't hurt and could only help, especially from a marketing perspective.
I don't really understand the suprise. Since the Musikmesse it was mentioned that the unit will be DSP based. Anything else was hopes/wishes or speculations by others.

It would be impossible to keep the price of 249 € (incl. VAT) when adding analog parts like analog filters and/or an analog Ensemble (which would be even more expensive).
In those days where several companies build analog synths is it forbidden to create DSP based synths?
AFAIK so far there is not other dedicated DSP based hardware Strings synth (at least no synth that is not sample based).

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:I don't really understand the suprise. Since the Musikmesse it was mentioned that the unit will be DSP based.
Yes, it's not a surprise.
It would be impossible to keep the price of 249 € (incl. VAT) when adding analog parts like analog filters and/or an analog Ensemble (which would be even more expensive).
I don't know what goes into making an analog filter or ensemble. An analog chorus would not have added much to the cost.
In those days where several companies build analog synths is it forbidden to create DSP based synths?
The market will decide that. Given how well the Pulse 2 and Rocket are doing, it would be a good idea to continue the analog trend.

Want an analog filter, get the 2pole unit. :P

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”