Akai Rhythm Wolf

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's very weird. You'd think somebody would show a pulse on a potential market changer. I'll probably buy but if need to hear some audio before that. I think there are profit issues, and the price will be around 350 to 400 dollars.

lets hope it doesn't sound like that really dull analogue they
had back in the 80s. or, at least i tried something, must have
been the ax90? and it didn't stand out then, seemed almost
digi'. and is a vintage cult job now, of course. stand up if
you're a fan of the ax/vx90 and give us some audio demos.

btw, been getting some nice sequences off the the volca bass,
much better than any of the online demos. it's a really good
little sequencer. gonna have to try to plug it out to some module,
see what up.(wrong topic, soz) - raises the question of sequencer
operation on the 'wolf': what will it be? bogstandard fake x0x
entry, or something a bit more exotic? maybe that is an aspect
they wanted to rework.
btw - such is the wait - we've already had an advert here in France
with wolves nodding their head to a beat. that must be 'a nod' to
akai...

mztk wrote:lets hope it doesn't sound like that really dull analogue they
digi'.
Yes, I agree. I hated those old Akai analogs. Fortunately, I don't think Curtis is currently making those crappy all-in-one IC's that were in the old Akai's.

Uncle E wrote:
mztk wrote:lets hope it doesn't sound like that really dull analogue they
digi'.
Yes, I agree. I hated those old Akai analogs. Fortunately, I don't think Curtis is currently making those crappy all-in-one IC's that were in the old Akai's.
Curtis isn't making anything. The only Curtis technology in production is the PA397, a surface mount CEM3396, which was licensed from Doug Curtis by Dave Smith before he died.

The CEM 3394 which is in both the Akai AX-73 and the Akai VX-90 is also in many other synths, including the SCI SixTrack, and, wait for it, the Doepfer Dark Energy, both of which are quite popular. The 3394 is a legitimate VCO/VCF/VCA which can sound quite good. I've owned both an Akai VX-90 and an AX-73, I think that I've even talked about them in this thread. Neither stood out to me either, but for me, it had more to do with their limited interface and midi spec.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQFTR91o9qE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDSk_ISEQvI

The more I think about this, the more I'm not so sure I want to get this. For 200 dollars, the drum machine is likely to sound like volca beats or something similar. Maybe the overdrive "howling wolf" knob will make it better, but doesn't seem like it has a lot of versatility. Anybody else getting less excited?

LimboLoves wrote:The more I think about this, the more I'm not so sure I want to get this. For 200 dollars, the drum machine is likely to sound like volca beats or something similar. Maybe the overdrive "howling wolf" knob will make it better, but doesn't seem like it has a lot of versatility. Anybody else getting less excited?
I'm not getting less excited... I have the same lack of excitement as before :wink:

but then I have an Elektron RYTM on order :party:

LimboLoves wrote:For 200 dollars, the drum machine is likely to sound like volca beats or something similar.
The Monotribe was $200 and it sounded great!

The monotribe was not bad, I'll give you that, but we are talking about drums. Drums connect the world through a sacred neural network of happiness and dance. This is some serious stuff. Akai is messing with the world. ;)

This might be a sound demo. It's apparently the soundcloud account of an akai employee.

https://soundcloud.com/whenmuppetsattak/rhythm-wolf

That started off lame and got really awesome, really fast! :hyper:

Detroit-in-a-box!

I'm shocked at how good the drums sound. That's some major punch.

ghettosynth wrote:This might be a sound demo. It's apparently the soundcloud account of an akai employee.

https://soundcloud.com/whenmuppetsattak/rhythm-wolf
I think that's the guy who showed the dead box @ Musikmesse.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

pdxindy wrote:
LimboLoves wrote:The more I think about this, the more I'm not so sure I want to get this. For 200 dollars, the drum machine is likely to sound like volca beats or something similar. Maybe the overdrive "howling wolf" knob will make it better, but doesn't seem like it has a lot of versatility. Anybody else getting less excited?
I'm not getting less excited... I have the same lack of excitement as before :wink:

but then I have an Elektron RYTM on order :party:
Yey, me too, :tu: In fact mine is ordered. Just need to pay for it and get it delivered.

Expect lots of analogue loops coming soon. :party:

I don't know sounds bit toyish to me, like some mfb drum synth .. Though the synth part sounds quite nice
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

Im in :hyper:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”