Hardware FX with audio over USB

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Do any exist?

I'm thinking along the lines of the Lexicon MX series (wonderful things they are) but with the ability to render audio.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Do you mean an effects processor that's also an audio interface? What for? I don't think there's anything, at least from any serious company.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

Hey, I'm wrong, at least Digitech has GSP1101 which has USB.
Edit: ooh, and Boss GT-Pro.
Last edited by Shy on Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shy wrote:Do you mean an effects processor that's also an audio interface? What for? I don't think there's anything, at least from any serious company.
No I don't think so.
Think UAD but no plugins and 19".

Heh, na, that's not very comparable. But do check that Boss GT-Pro, it may be nice. Both it and GSP1101 are marketed as "guitar effects processors" but that's just nonsense, they have a variety of effects. I never looked closely into those, but now I see they have USB.

Difference between the Lexi MX units and other units mentioned is, that while all pass audio thru USB, the MX's appear as VST plugins in your DAW.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

CapnLockheed wrote:Difference between the Lexi MX units and other units mentioned is, that while all pass audio thru USB, the MX's appear as VST plugins in your DAW.
Exactly.

I want everything about the MX but with the ability to hit that magic "render" button in my DAW.

Lexicon is magic - I think the only way to print is to "re-amp" through a mixer and back into an audio track.

I also have found the Valhalla Vintage Verb to sound darn close . . .
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

CapnLockheed wrote:Difference between the Lexi MX units and other units mentioned is, that while all pass audio thru USB, the MX's appear as VST plugins in your DAW.
Sounds good! But to get it to work, do you have to use it as ASIO device in your DAW? (and thus combine it with an existing audio interface, adding to the overall latency)

Mushy Mushy wrote:Do any exist?

I'm thinking along the lines of the Lexicon MX series (wonderful things they are) but with the ability to render audio.

they had audio via usb? i remember vst editor via usb but not audio.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:they had audio via usb? i remember vst editor via usb but not audio.
Mushy Mushy wrote:but
;)

Mushy Mushy wrote:
murnau wrote:they had audio via usb? i remember vst editor via usb but not audio.
Mushy Mushy wrote:but
;)
:dog: okay, got it.. :lol:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

T-CM11 wrote:
Sounds good! But to get it to work, do you have to use it as ASIO device in your DAW? (and thus combine it with an existing audio interface, adding to the overall latency)
I have a MX-400 and I use it to monitor my guitar fx through (reverb or delay mostly), zero latency because it's direct monitor...that's why I use it, so I can hear the fx but not record them to the same track as the guitar. However the MX-400 has two coax spdif ins/outs so I run the returns through that anyhow and record the fx to their own track. I can (though I have not done it as of yet) send the signal out via the coax spdif to the MX-400 and process tracks in the computer through the MX-400 (in real time of course) and because it's the same returns and still direct monitor meaning no latency :shrug:

FWIW when using it for my guitar tracks, channel one (and channel two) has a send on my soundcard that I send (analog) to the MX-400...it does not mix it with the signal going out when it returns because I do not use the FX returns on the back of my soundcard and use the coax spdif.

The MX-400 is awesome because it's so flexible but it can only bend so far, so I gotta be flexible too and in this case that means if I want to process sounds my DAW with it I must do it in real time...I can live with that :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

murnau wrote: :dog: okay, got it.. :lol:
Yeah, I missed that part too. :dog:
It doesn't have any 'mangling' effects anyway... that Zoom pedal looks better in that regard. :)

Just wanting to say this, I own the MX200, it does seem to not stream audio over USB, it is purely for connectivity to the computer for firmware and vst editor, I have just refered to the manual too...this thread reminded me I haven't installed the VST since reinstalling everything and could be saving my settings with the Cubase project.

Although it does say this if it helps, though I do not understand this...

This setup is ideal if you are using the
MX200 as a hardware plug-in in a digital
recording system. This setup requires that
you are using an I/O device with S/PDIF
In/Out, or a digital mixer with S/PDIF I/O
option.

1. Select routing 2 using the Routing
button. (You can always experiment with
other routings.)
2. Connect the S/PDIF output on your
soundcard, audio interface or mixer to
the S/PDIF In on the MX200.