The Guitar Show (Show yours)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Uncle E wrote:NOT MINE but this is pretty interesting, a semi-hollow with a vibrato:

It reminds me of my old ES-335-style Ibanez that had a Kahler (which, btw, was an awful sounding guitar, the Kahler ruined it).
It's a lovely guitar.

Hink wrote:I've decided that my Jackson Kelly is getting tuned to standard tuning, I like the guitar but it's just too big for a recording guitar. The neck is too wide and too long, it's a great guitar for standing up (I have a better angle on my wrist when I stand for the wider neck) and it sounds great...but not for sitting. The funny thing is the Daion which is smaller on every aspect is not much better sitting down. The problem is they sit in a way where they neck is really broken down it to two segments high and low registers, of course typical. However I actually have to shift both in my lap some because they feel as if they sit on lap too far forward which isn't that big of a deal but still :shrug:
:)
All you need is a versatile, ergonomic guitar. Something you can sit in front of your DAW and record with or stand up and use. :wink:

I don't think the earvana is a true direct replacement for my strat. Even the "new" LSR nuts don't look like the one I have.

PsYcHo SaMuRai wrote:
Hink wrote:I've decided that my Jackson Kelly is getting tuned to standard tuning, I like the guitar but it's just too big for a recording guitar. The neck is too wide and too long, it's a great guitar for standing up (I have a better angle on my wrist when I stand for the wider neck) and it sounds great...but not for sitting. The funny thing is the Daion which is smaller on every aspect is not much better sitting down. The problem is they sit in a way where they neck is really broken down it to two segments high and low registers, of course typical. However I actually have to shift both in my lap some because they feel as if they sit on lap too far forward which isn't that big of a deal but still :shrug:
:)
All you need is a versatile, ergonomic guitar. Something you can sit in front of your DAW and record with or stand up and use. :wink:

That's really cool and tbh right up my alley (kind of reminds me of an expensive target rifle) it has everything, but for the record my point wasn't that I need a guitar that's good for sitting...2 out of 7 are not good for sitting and that's fine. Different guitars for different needs is a good thing, finding where a guitar fits in the big picture is better. I'm fortunate because I can approach this from both sides, either I can buy a guitar and mod (or not) so it has a purpose or I can build one that's just what I want. (that's why my baritone took years to complete, it started out as a Squire Tele with a warmoth neck and it's had at least a dozen different pup in it, when I settled on everything I wanted I got the body I wanted)...I'm going back to my picture for a second though because the issue is right there in plain sight, I just never laid the guitars out like this and study them like I have this weekend.

Notice on the Jackson and the Daion how far the bridge is from the bottom strap pin compared to the ESP on the right (I only put the baritone in the pic for comparison of size to the Jackson). Yup, two of my guitars fit this profile and both have the same issue ;)

Now the truth is both guitars are great guitars, the Daion is a killer rhythm guitar and has a lot of versatility tone wise and the Jackson is very aggressive sounding. There is an issue but that does not mean that the issue is a problem. The real problem is I should just get off my fat ass and stand up :lol:

Thanx for the pics of the guitar though, I like things like that and it's pretty cool :)

edit:another thingthat is interesting is this issue exists in my biggest guitar and my smallest guitar so it's not the size and fwiw there is one more guitar that I really like but never bought because I did not like how it sat in my lap..a B.C. Rich Mockingbird...so I just went and looked

yup, same issue...which means after building guitars, after being in retail selling all kinds of guitars and after decades of playing I just learned something very simple about spotting what I like which makes this a productive weekend :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

That bridge looks comfortable on the palm. I like it. I have a thing for bridges with an integrated stop tail piece.

PsYcHo SaMuRai wrote:That bridge looks comfortable on the palm. I like it. I have a thing for bridges with an integrated stop tail piece.
I agree, though I still really do not care for stop bar tailpieces...this would be my preference (it would not be a deal breaker). If it's not a whammy I really like my strings going through the body (though you can do some tricks with your palm on the strings between the bridge and stop bar). The Daion is of course a neck-thru and this is what really adds the icing to the cake for me. I worked in retail and sold a lot of guitars and I never heard of Daion until I bought this in 07 from another KvR member. Everything is exquisite and they were all handmade with a lamination process they invented (they actually stopped making guitars and started making golf clubs because the lamination process worked great for golf clubs).

It's 14 pieces of maple and rosewood and a thin arched top, even the cavity covers are cut from the same wood as the body. Anchoring the strings directly to the same wood on both ends opens up the sound a lot more than people may think.

I am notoriously hard on Gibson, the SG is one of my least favorite guitars ever made (I say they make great canoe paddles), the stop bar with the tune-o-matic has always been awkward for me to get use to and that's what I dislike about the guitar. I prefer a neck-through over a set neck and tbh I even prefer a bolt on over an SG set neck but I could just tune the SG lower to relieve the stress on the neck.

OTOH rules were meant to be broken and breaking all my silly rules has been great over the last decade or so...maybe it's time for me to add a stop bar tail piece with a tune-o-matic...:shrug:

Off to Warmoth :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Uncle E wrote:Indeed! Here's a nice one they have up right now:
That is pretty. I'm barely competent to build a cabinet or a simple chair. Viewed thru the filter of my limited skill, cutting into that for pickups and hardware would require not only competence, but guts and courage! :)

JCJR wrote:That is pretty. I'm barely competent to build a cabinet or a simple chair. Viewed thru the filter of my limited skill, cutting into that for pickups and hardware would require not only competence, but guts and courage! :)
Warmoth will route the pickups, bridge, and controls for you. When I bought my strat body from them, I had them route it for 3 P90's. If you buy a neck from them, they'll install and cut the nut for you, and drill the holes for whatever tuning machines you want. The only really challenging thing about a Warmoth build is that their fret ends tend to be sharp, you'll want to tape off the fretboard and file the frets one by one to smooth them out. Also, if you get the easy access neck heel like I got, you'll need to cut the screw short so it doesn't go all the way through the neck.

Thanks Uncle E. Sounds like a nice company, and the sample pictures people post look great.

Here's the body I got from them:

ImageImageImage

The wood is an Imbuia top and a mahogany back. It cost me $285 including free routing for the exact pickups I wanted (these pictures are from before the routing work was done, it looks even better with P90's) and the exact bridge I wanted (a not-so-common Wilkinson). The perfect clear coat finish was already applied.

JCJR wrote:
Uncle E wrote:Indeed! Here's a nice one they have up right now:
That is pretty. I'm barely competent to build a cabinet or a simple chair. Viewed thru the filter of my limited skill, cutting into that for pickups and hardware would require not only competence, but guts and courage! :)

is this the tobacco burst or the same burst on my bari? edit NM kinda obvious :oops:

Hink wrote:
...but for the record my point wasn't that I need a guitar that's good for sitting...2 out of 7 are not good for sitting and that's fine.

Notice on the Jackson and the Daion how far the bridge is from the bottom strap pin compared to the ESP on the right (I only put the baritone in the pic for comparison of size to the Jackson). Yup, two of my guitars fit this profile and both have the same issue ;)

edit:another thingthat is interesting is this issue exists in my biggest guitar and my smallest guitar so it's not the size and fwiw there is one more guitar that I really like but never bought because I did not like how it sat in my lap..a B.C. Rich Mockingbird...so I just went and looked

yup, same issue...which means after building guitars, after being in retail selling all kinds of guitars and after decades of playing I just learned something very simple about spotting what I like which makes this a productive weekend :)
Very interesting, my "issue" is almost the exact opposite. I credit my "issue" to the fact that my first "real" guitar was a Flying V. Before that, I never took lessons or actually "played" out with anyone. I just did what felt natural & that was to sit the guitar between my legs, not actually in my lap, where the bottom of the V was sitting on my right thigh... I'm right handed.

Now, that's the way I hold a guitar when I'm sitting down, any guitar. As you can imagine, the Les Pauls & Strats, & Teles (the traditional guitars) don't feel right when I'm sitting down.

Setting the guitar in my lap just doesn't feel right.

I love my Les Pauls & my Strats, but my Mockingbirds just feel right.

This next one isn't mine... but one day...

First PRS. (maybe I shouldn't have typed 'first'...)
Have to enjoy guitar sales. 45% off.
Brand new not scratched up, it's just a dust magnet
damned hard to capture the grain. Trans black.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Looks nice man!

werp wrote:First PRS.
Sweet! If you mod a standard humbucker into the bridge, you'll have a Studio, which is just about the best pickup configuration I've ever used.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”