The Guitar Show (Show yours)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

btw, I'm sorry to keep gushing about our new guitar tech but he really does amazing work. It's shocking. You've got to send something down for him to work on, you'll be impressed.

I wonder how much shipping costs these days.........might be too much (even inner state)

See , the thing is the LSR has lock down screws. So to be a perfectly direct replacement, I'd expect to see those. I have no doubt it "fits" We'll see what they say when they respond.

I had a buzz feiten once. I don't know if that is the same tuning or what.

hibidy wrote:I wonder how much shipping costs these days.........might be too much (even inner state)
Certainly it'd be too much for just replacing a nut. However, if you need fretwork, he does amazing work and we're a lot cheaper than most places, making the shipping cost a non-issue.

I have a tele with an LSR-sized Earvana, it's glued in.

ah. Well, that's kinda a bummer. If it didn't work out, it could be a drag.

On another matter....

It's here!!! :) And I'm loving doing the happy dance.

Sorry that's a stock photo. It's raining out and I never take good guitar pictures outside.

First off. For being a pine body this thing has some good feeling weight to it. Very solid feeling. The neck has a slightly narrower and slightly less depth then my blacktop telecaster. In short it's easier for me to play. Not as thin as my strat plus nor my SX furian. The neck has a little bit more relief (natural bow) then I'm used to but it's still highly playable. I'm thinking of keeping it as is for the next two weeks or so as it settles into the climate before doing anything (not that philly, where I bought it has that big a difference in climate. The fretwork is superb!. The frets are nice and even across the fretboard, No tangs to cut my fingers on. The intonation is also spot on.

The neck has a vintage finish, which honestly works well with the honeyburst body finish. Quite stunning and comfortable with the belly cut.

The pickups are pretty good, okay. They are "modern player telecaster plus pickups" Which prolly means cheap chinese. The only true issue I have with them so far is that the neck pickup doesn't have height adjustment screws. It's also got a slightly lower output. In regards to output the middle pickup steals the show when using S-S-Coil Tap and it's level seems to be balanced with the humbucker mode.

I've only gone through a few choice settings with amp sim and pickup combinations so far. Both in humbucker and in coil tap mode there is significantly more twang then my blacktop, Yet not as jarring/glaring as one would find with a traditional bridge. This may be due to the stainless steel pickup ring or it may be the actual pickup + placebo effect of having the stainless staring back at me. I've yet to give it a full workout.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote:The only true issue I have with them so far is that the neck pickup doesn't have height adjustment screws. It's also got a slightly lower output. In regards to output the middle pickup steals the show when using S-S-Coil Tap and it's level seems to be balanced with the humbucker mode.
That's the thing I've never understood about these tele models with the middle pickups. Nobody likes tele neck pickups, why not just throw a strat pickup in there? Better yet, everyone went nuts for the mini humbucker in the Fender Vintage Hot Rod '52 Telecaster, why not throw that in the neck, throw a tele neck pickup in the middle, and then make the two humbuckers auto split when combined with the middle? That way, the weak tele neck pickup would actually be a good balance with the weak outputs of the split humbuckers. Throw an extra resistor on the 2-3-4 positions to trick them into seeing a 250 volume pot and you'll have a well-rounded guitar that does a lot of truly legit vintage tones.

I'm not like others.

I do like a tele neck pickup in a jazz context. But I like the neck output higher then then the others. It doesn't mean I like a high output neck pickup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxPBvDYVX2w

Serious I was just playing along with this video. I am nailing it in the tone department and loving it. I just wish the middle pickup wasn't the big boost moving back. I may just lower it a smidgen to strike a balance. The bridge pickup is already as low as it can go.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I've decided that my Jackson Kelly is getting tuned to standard tuning, I like the guitar but it's just too big for a recording guitar. The neck is too wide and too long, it's a great guitar for standing up (I have a better angle on my wrist when I stand for the wider neck) and it sounds great...but not for sitting. The funny thing is the Daion which is smaller on every aspect is not much better sitting down. The problem is they sit in a way where they neck is really broken down it to two segments high and low registers, of course typical. However I actually have to shift both in my lap some because they feel as if they sit on lap too far forward which isn't that big of a deal but still :shrug:

So why tune it to standard? Well that way when people come over that play they can jam on that guitar, it's got the 'wow' factor with the mural (not too mention the tone) and it's a great way to show trust and respect to a fellow guitar player. As it is I usually let people jam on my Warmoth because it's a hardtail and they can tune it quickly, right now it's in Am (EAEACE) even though typically my 24 fret guitars are not tuned with an 'E' based tuning.

:)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Those super comfy chairs may work great for mixing and showing you're the man of the house aren't always great for playing guitar. You need one of those triangle guitar chairs. or sitting far forward on a hard chair with a foot rest...

Once you get used to siting like this ....

You'll be able to play for hours

you look like a bit of a wally though ;)

tapper mike wrote:Those super comfy chairs may work great for mixing and showing you're the man of the house aren't always great for playing guitar. You need one of those triangle guitar chairs. or sitting far forward on a hard chair with a foot rest...

Once you get used to siting like this ....

You'll be able to play for hours
I appreciate the suggestion and I do have a foot rest, they have an issue I was able to resolve though. Shift your weight a little and they tip over :? So what I did was I have a carpet in my studio that is like velcro so velcro sticks to it very well, I made velcro straps to hold it in place.

That's not the problem, if you notice I mentioned this happens with two different guitars and not all my guitars. That position in the picture would be worse with the Jackson Kelly due to the design of the body and trust me it's a bit heavier than a classical guitar. For many years I use to sit twisted when I sat down so the guitar hung like it does when I am standing, this wont work either though with the Jackson because of how big it is and my 'corner'. It's surprising how much longer after the nut that Jackson headstock is and on the other end the 'tail' of the Kelly stretches way to the other side and hits the table all my amps are on or my iso cab.

I have had this guitar 7 years, this was not an issue I saw coming when I played it in the store but the fact is it simply is a stand up guitar.

A strat shaped guitar sits well in my lap and needs no hands while I do something else (I imagine a Les Paul would be frustrating as well as it is so bottom heavy you need one hand for the guitar). The Daion and even the baritone sit very well in my lap but the Daion is shifted as well (but I can hang that while sitting down because it's so small). It's all about the bottom curve on the body of guitars and where it centers the the guitar in my lap. (my shallow body Ovation is another great 'working' guitar because I dont have to reach over it as much for mouse works or playing keys).

Not all guitars are shaped the same and there is no one answer that fits all :shrug:

you know what? A picture is worth 1000 words

left to right, the Daion, the baritone, the Jackson and My ESP/LTD (really my go to guitar, love the neck on that guitar and dont forget it's a neck-thru). The Kelly is bigger than the baritone and the baritone is 28" scale, it's wider overall as well...then when you see the Daion and the ESP it's easy to see why they are good lap guitars as I dont have to reach over them and they sit comfy without having to hold them (the Daion is also a very thin bodied, you cant see from the pic but it's much thinner than the baritone, which is one thing that sets it apart from the Ibby that looks similar).

The Kelly is a just a big guitar and I am not a big person, I even had to get a different strap for it because standard wide leather straps are not long enough...with a regular strap it hangs like Clapton's guitars and I dont care for that. ;)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

NOT MINE but this is pretty interesting, a semi-hollow with a vibrato:

It reminds me of my old ES-335-style Ibanez that had a Kahler (which, btw, was an awful sounding guitar, the Kahler ruined it).

Uncle E wrote:NOT MINE but this is pretty interesting, a semi-hollow with a vibrato:

It reminds me of my old ES-335-style Ibanez that had a Kahler (which, btw, was an awful sounding guitar, the Kahler ruined it).
you can do this with Warmoth :wink:

Indeed! Here's a nice one they have up right now:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”