The Guitar Show (Show yours)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I hope this thread doesn't die out to early. Some of you are going to have to buy more guitars to populate the thread.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

this is my only and prized acoustic : Gurian JM c-series circa 1978 purchased from Stan at Elderly Instruments in 1978.
Google Michael Gurian to learn the tragic story of Gurian guitars. The inside label says, "Gurian Workshop, Earth Third Planet from the Sun"
peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

tapper mike wrote:I hope this thread doesn't die out to early. Some of you are going to have to buy more guitars to populate the thread.
If it begins to die too quickly I'll begin posting photos of my guitars...or, begin a discussion of Scott Grove.

Ok...maybe not on that second idea.

tapper mike wrote:Am I the only guy in the universe with a Strat Plus that has a rosewood fretboard?
lol, nah. A lot of them over on strat talk.
tapper mike wrote:I hope this thread doesn't die out to early. Some of you are going to have to buy more guitars to populate the thread.
quiet you!

I'm fresh out myself, my Schecter 7-string is nothing special, and the only other stringed instrument I have is an ESP Ltd B-305 bass.
Meh.

Mister Natural wrote:Image
this is my only and prized acoustic : Gurian JM c-series circa 1978 purchased from Stan at Elderly Instruments in 1978.
Google Michael Gurian to learn the tragic story of Gurian guitars. The inside label says, "Gurian Workshop, Earth Third Planet from the Sun"
peace

He's still around but he only makes guitar parts.
None the less I used to think Gurian was all folklore when I first heard about them in the 70's I'd never seen one. While I'd heard that Elderly had them I never made the trip. I wasn't a guitar connoisseur back then. (still in my teens) If I were you I'd will that thing to my grand children but only release it to them when they are in their 60's
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I have a Takamine Jasmine in silky oak. I'll take a photo tomorrow if I remember.
A Yairi classical, can't remember whether it's an s or a k Yairi....
Scored from a concert guitarist who developed arthritis in his fingers...
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Here is my pride and shame.
lrbaggs.jpg
<updated>
This is my LR Baggs Godin. Serial number 12514 That's all the guitars godin had made at that point. The Baggs was the predecessor to acoustcasters / multilacs. It has a tone that puts all other Godin's to shame. It's the most beautiful sounding guitar I've ever heard. The old fishman electronics require two 9 volt batteries. Stored under the template on top. It's got amazingly loud output (more so then any a/e with active electronics.

It's current condition I regret everyday. The headstock should be a natural maple. Too many smoke filled bars for too many years. For awhile I was doing double duty playing synth lines and acoustic. I had to use a double stick tape for the gk pickup and double stick pads for the control box. The hex pickup kept on comming up fron the seal and I was constantly re applying it. Eventually when I finally moved away from symth playing I yanked the gk from it. The finish was quite stunning. the ridges that come up along the top. Tne neck has more then a few nicks in it as does the back of the body.

If I ever get the money up I'm going to take it to Koontz and have him work his magic on it. Even though it would cost three times what I paid for the guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsnZ38vF7uU

</updated>
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tapper mike on Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tapper mike wrote:Three
Seymour Duncan makes great pickups if you think about what you are getting into ahead of time. Of all the noiseless single coils on the market imho Seymour Duncan vintage stacks sound closest to 50's/60's single coil pickups with out the noise.
A guitarist named TMax came by our booth on Sunday, he has Vintage Stack in his tele and it was the best I've heard a tele sound. He said it's a lot more open sounding than the Dimarzio Area T he had in the bridge before. He still has an Area T in the neck position and that also sounded excellent. Truth be told, the guy is a monster of a player and I'm sure he'd make any guitar sound amazing.

Uncle E wrote:
tapper mike wrote:Three
Seymour Duncan makes great pickups if you think about what you are getting into ahead of time. Of all the noiseless single coils on the market imho Seymour Duncan vintage stacks sound closest to 50's/60's single coil pickups with out the noise.
A guitarist named TMax came by our booth on Sunday, he has Vintage Stack in his tele and it was the best I've heard a tele sound. He said it's a lot more open sounding than the Dimarzio Area T he had in the bridge before. He still has an Area T in the neck position and that also sounded excellent. Truth be told, the guy is a monster of a player and I'm sure he'd make any guitar sound amazing.
But it also is the pickup. I have too much free time on my hands. I'll spend hours and hours researching this stuff on youtube. What sounds good to my ears may not be what others think sounds good. But after watching almost every noiseless pickup comparission on youtube I came to the same conclusion.

As well. Back in the early 80's I picked up a Magnum LP copy from a student. Eventually I replaced the pickups with Duncan JB and '59. It was my first experience with replacing pickups. Those things screamed.
I got a deal on the pickups and replaced the tuning pegs. Sold it for about 200 more then I had invested into it.

KrisM wrote:
tapper mike wrote:Am I the only guy in the universe with a Strat Plus that has a rosewood fretboard?
lol, nah. A lot of them over on strat talk.
quiet you!

I'm fresh out myself, my Schecter 7-string is nothing special, and the only other stringed instrument I have is an ESP Ltd B-305 bass.
Pics!!!

werp wrote:I have a Takamine Jasmine in silky oak. I'll take a photo tomorrow if I remember.
A Yairi classical, can't remember whether it's an s or a k Yairi....
Scored from a concert guitarist who developed arthritis in his fingers...
I've had a few acoustics not to many comparitively to guitars. Takamine and Yari Alvarez included. The Yari was a steel string with a dark grain. When I lived on Pine Island (a fishing and farming community) I'd bring the Yari and my Ovation 12 string to work. I could pull no love out of the Yari to my ears but a lot of the old timers could. They made for a good match together. I had some really good offers on the Yari but I declined as that was my comminity guitar. I'd sit on the sea wall the crab shack (now known as Captain Con's kicking out a few numbers during down time and regulars would come along and want to jam with me. The Yari was for them. I wasn't about to hand over my Ovation.

Fixed my pic....

And I'm working on acquiring this guitar. This baby was made by Jon Kammerer. I got to meet Jon and play a couple of his early prototypes at Bill Carter's Golden Frets in Carbondale, IL back in the day.

the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

I see you are smart and moved the hex further away from the bridge then specified.
Better sustain, higher output but not the best for overbends.

Wow, those are some fine guitars.

CapnLockheed wrote:This guitar may look like a Les Paul but it's actually an acoustic...like a shallow bowl Ovation. It's got both humbucker and piezo pickups with separate 1/4" outs for each.
It's a Dillion, made in Korea and what looks like a neck pickup is actually a rectangular sound hole surrounded by a pickup ring!! It's also the current home for my Fishman Triple Play wireless MIDI controller.

Amazing!!! What's the model?

CapnLockheed wrote:This guitar may look like a Les Paul but it's actually an acoustic...like a shallow bowl Ovation. It's got both humbucker and piezo pickups with separate 1/4" outs for each.
It's a Dillion, made in Korea and what looks like a neck pickup is actually a rectangular sound hole surrounded by a pickup ring!! It's also the current home for my Fishman Triple Play wireless MIDI controller.
I think I'd prefer it if the reverse were true. A single humbucker in the neck position and a soundhole in the bridge. But that's just me.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”