The Guitar Show (Show yours)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

@polyslax: how sounds the Nik Huber Krautster? is Rock Addicted enough? she's looking very pretty to me but the sound?

Turello wrote:@polyslax: how sounds the Nik Huber Krautster? is Rock Addicted enough? she's looking very pretty to me but the sound?
Sounds very much as you'd imagine, a classic rock warm tone and a slight jangle in coil tap.

Lots of video clips available to give you an idea, like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it-pc0FTzEE

here's a variation I wasn't aware of, includes a tone knob:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18W0ape96mQ

there's also a Krautster II with a soap bar in the neck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7NTv1BNegc
Image Image

Never see\knowed this brand in Italy (very strange, for example the same happens with the Parker Adrian Belew Signature) but sounds gorgeous (love some grungy & noisy tones)..! :-q___________

probably my next guitar!!! :tu:

I believe the msrp of the Adrian Belew was $9000USD a bit much even for a parker. Belew jumped ship as soon as jtv's hit the market.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

pardon Tapper but what is jtv??? Anyway I just would wanna play she... :'(

Joe Tyler Variax

In this video you'll see Adrian Belew first playing his Parker signature but later he's playing the jtv and wants the jtv over the Parker in the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxcpyPgTUsI

nix808 wrote:It will take any double coil-
I have to try and find the clippy connection bit though.
I will get my Duncans back in July- plan to set them up as swappable.
That's just too awesome. Try the Dimarzio Norton, Air Zone, and 36th Anniversay PAF, it's amazing how much difference there is between them.

JCJR wrote:Thanks Uncle E. What I had read long ago, said that when it comes to pounding in stainless frets, they are too springy and on conventional wood fingerboards, one end pops out as the other end is pounded in. Guess if that info was at all accurate, then it was at least somehow incomplete.
I took a tour of the Fender factory this morning and they told us that they've never pounded in any frets for this very reason. They use a press that pushes down evenly over the whole fret.
One friend who plays a LOT, has to get new geetars or have the neck reworked every few years because the brass frets wear out, but another old pro who plays just as much, claims hardly any wear. That fella claims that the secret is to make sure to play "almost on top" of the frets to minimize the strings' "metal sawing" action on the frets, but it seems difficult enough to finger anywhere between the frets, much less having to target "nearly on top of the frets".
Interesting. I play nearly on top of the frets and have never had to change my frets, despite me being a complete bend addict. I play nearly on top of the frets because it intonates and sustains better, and because it keeps me from feeling the drag of the fretboard wood underneath my fingers when I bend.

Speaking of the Fender tour, at the end of it I got to have a custom guitar put together for me out of R&D parts that had been set aside and never released for sale. I picked out a Jazzmaster with a flamed maple top, mahogany back, double Seymour Duncan pickups, and single piece rosewood neck and fretboard. It looked like a cross between a Jazzmaster and an Artist model PRS. Unfortunately, when we tallied up the bill, I found out that the flamed maple top was a $500 upgrade, the rosewood neck was a $150 upgrade, the gold hardware was a $150 upgrade, and the Seymour Duncans were a $100 upgrade. I had to walk away from it. :(

polyslax wrote:Image
I remember when you first posted pictures of this one in the other thread. These pictures are even nicer. :)

Does the coil tap split it or make it a lower wind humbucker? I once found an independent pickup builder who made a PAF replica that could be coil tapped to be a lower wind D'Armond/Gretsch-style humbucker. I've always wanted that.

I've got 5 right now:

1) PRS SE One (bought new in 2008):
PRS.jpg
Not thrilled with the output of the stock P-90 on this. I have a DiMarzio P-90 sized Super Distortion ready to be installed. Gonna split the coil and have the best of both worlds, hopefully.

2) Godin Multiac Jazz (bought new in 2002):
Godin.jpg
3) Gibson Flying V (bought new in 2006):
Flying V.jpg
Two more to follow (didn't realize there was an attachment limit :).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bharris22 on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

4) Martin J-15 (Mahogany top Jumbo, bought new in 2000):
Martin.jpg
5) 1930's Birch-top Stella (bought used (obviously :) ) in 2006):
Stella 1.jpg
Stella 2.jpg
I love them all :). If things go well at work this year, I might treat myself to a new Godin 5th Avenue archtop around the holidays. Only problem is I have nowhere to put it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wow, quite the collection. I was very very very tempted to purchase that same Godin back in 02. It's quite a different beast then the current A6 or Spectrum.

I've told everyone else this. Last year I went looking for jazz boxes. I tried the entire Godin semi hollow/ acoustic lineup including all the 5th ave's. They gave no love to me.
The original Kingpin (no cut) had the most redeeming value as it had that late thirties / 40's vibe down pat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRmXyXyRFCM
But i just couldn't adapt to the necks on them to save my life so I passed. Later models (kingpin2. CW) don't have the same sound or near close.

speaking of Parkers . . . Image
my very slightly modified p42 :
mahogany body
maple neck
ebony board
grover machines
PRS knobs(the only thing from that company I can afford)
duncan/parker pickups - both tapped from the push/pull tone pot
I replaced the 3way switch witha "blend" pot that allows full-range of PU mix(I did this once before with my old Gibson L6) and it = 44+ different tones between the blending and the coil tapping
set-up courtesy of my tech, Steve at Elderly
E.Baggs "power" slinkys .11s

I use it primarily for leads / melodies / high gain lines. Not that it sounds congested in any way with cleans or chords, but those styles are where my strat excels
peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Re balance as opposed to toggle switch. That has been running through my brain for years as something for my LR Baggs installing a pickup in the neck and using a blend for that and the piezo

I usually like to blend in just a bit of piezo with the magnetics in my P44

When your playing a jazz box you'll hear the bright sound coming from the guitar and a different sound coming from the amp. The audience doesn't hear the guitar acousically just the amplified output. That's what this fellow michigander does

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPMjwjHlY2c

Mister Natural wrote:speaking of Parkers . . . Image
my very slightly modified p42 :
mahogany body
maple neck
ebony board
grover machines
PRS knobs(the only thing from that company I can afford)
duncan/parker pickups - both tapped from the push/pull tone pot
I replaced the 3way switch witha "blend" pot that allows full-range of PU mix(I did this once before with my old Gibson L6) and it = 44+ different tones between the blending and the coil tapping
set-up courtesy of my tech, Steve at Elderly
E.Baggs "power" slinkys .11s
peace
Before I forget.
Nice axe, thanks for sharing

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”