The Guitar Show (Show yours)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

THX Mike - it's a screamer . . . as I'm sure your p44 is whenever you . . .
LET IT OUT OF THE CAGE !

:=)
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Uncle E wrote:
polyslax wrote:Image
I remember when you first posted pictures of this one in the other thread. These pictures are even nicer. :)

Does the coil tap split it or make it a lower wind humbucker? I once found an independent pickup builder who made a PAF replica that could be coil tapped to be a lower wind D'Armond/Gretsch-style humbucker. I've always wanted that.
Thanks!

I just assumed it was splitting, but I don't know for sure… wasn't aware of the lower wind possibility… interesting.
Image Image

That Krautster is beautiful.

tapper mike wrote:Wow, quite the collection. I was very very very tempted to purchase that same Godin back in 02. It's quite a different beast then the current A6 or Spectrum.

I've told everyone else this. Last year I went looking for jazz boxes. I tried the entire Godin semi hollow/ acoustic lineup including all the 5th ave's. They gave no love to me.
The original Kingpin (no cut) had the most redeeming value as it had that late thirties / 40's vibe down pat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRmXyXyRFCM
But i just couldn't adapt to the necks on them to save my life so I passed. Later models (kingpin2. CW) don't have the same sound or near close.
I'm trying to find a reasonably-affordable true archtop made in the US, or at least North America, and this led to the 5th Avenue. I haven't tried one yet, but from what I have seen/heard it has a very classic jazz sound (which is what I am after with this one), and the Multiac is such a beautiful, well-constructed instrument I have a lot of trust in Godin. I would highly recommend them.

You don't have to reccomend them to me,,, I have three Godins.

Affordable and playability is a slippery slope in archtops esp american made ones.
If money were no object I'd buy a few Bennedetto's a few D'Angelico's and a Conti still (even though Conti is made by peerless in Korea) And I'm very very pro buy american.

Mostly it's about the character of the tone. The D'Angelico EX-SS is a smaller body and narrow body but due to it's unique bracing system it doesn't have a center block like 335's, 137's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izjyK3AbxAc

It projects more like a larger archtop but because the pickups are mounted to the top rather then floating it has a more even output capturing mid's and lows better. I played a big box 17 inch deep for more then a few years (L5 copy) It was mostly unmanageable ratty and rattly tone with odd peaks where you play with only slightly more force to accent a note and it jumps out unnaturally. That's why many seasoned players use limiters with bigger boxes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeXZaV_2OtA
When Matt Raines does the demo of his box note that it's brand new. Give it a few years and it too would be more rattly. Still I like the tone of his 7 string more then most 6 string large boxes on the market both forgien and domestic.

Personally I could care less how a box sounds acoustically if it's got that "thing" going amped.

I agree with you Godin 5th ave (especially the original kingpin) are good affordable north american made guitars. However for me they aren't that playable. The action has to be set to more traditional (higher) levels and it's very very rounded. I tried and tried to get into it but the only one that was happening for me tone wise was the kingpin and after fighting with it for about a half an hour I decided it wasn't for me. I just don't want to work that hard to play a guitar.

Conti is my dream guitar these days. It's a wide thin body but it's no 335 or Howard Roberts Fusion III. It's a well crafted low action slender neck with a 24.(something) scale length (which also matters to me)
The Bennetto Bambino even though it's american made is a semi hollow body (not chambered just lacking sound holes) which is obviously more expensive yet slightly misses the mark compared to a Conti
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNP_OmG9MKY

Conti's have a more uniform dynamic range from loud to soft and more consistent output all along the fretboard. They also have single piece carved large spruce tops with a more even frequency response. It sounds "tighter" without being a solid body or needing a compressor / limiter while still having warmth and body.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSuZK1ICjLg

Your milage may vary.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

found another photo of my O'donnell custom. hopefully you can see the flamed Koa fingerboard on the rosewood neck
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

werp wrote:found another photo of my O'donnell custom. hopefully you can see the flamed Koa fingerboard on the rosewood neck
No more of that self loathing/pitying talk from you, not when you've got this beauty! ;)

werp wrote:found another photo of my O'donnell custom. hopefully you can see the flamed Koa fingerboard on the rosewood neck
Wow - that is very very nice.

A good think it's a rainy day so I have an excuse not to show my other guitars after looking at that one. I'm running out of guitars to show and they certainly don't look as nice as that. If anyone wants to gift me a guitar including shipping so I can keep this thread alive please feel free to do so.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

nice guitar werp :love:

today's guitar for me is one I suspect some have been expecting...the baritone I built

It started with a squire telecaster custom in 2009 and I replaced the neck with a Warmoth Baritone Conversion neck, it stayed as a tele until just about a Year ago. The idea was to use the tele body as a breadboard until I settled on what I wanted for pups and such then I had Warmoth make the body. I wanted to shy away from a tele or a strat becaue they are just all too common so I went with the "Z" body...(the sentiment got this guitar featured with another on the Warmoth FB page last May).

The pick-ups are two Seymour Duncan P-rails and a Seymour Duncan JB JR

The wiring is the standard P-rail wiring (the first two switches) so you get P-90s, Hot Rails, Humbucker series and humbucker parallel and the JB Jr in the middle is wired with an on/on/on so you get series/split/paralell. The first tone control has an Oragne Drop Cap on it and the second tone control spot has an artec QDD2 pre-amp in it. The artec is cool because it's a five way switch with a bybass and 4 different flavors of OD (soon the Artec will be no more and a stratoblaster clone will go in it's place). It also has another cap with a 500k trimpot (instead of a resistor) for treble bleed and it has a 500k trimpot on the JB Jr because it's so much hotter than the P-rails...a guitar that is a lot of fun to play and covers a lot of bases...I like to call it my swiis army knife of baritones. Best of all is how awesome this thing sounds :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

That is beastly in a good way,

Axe #4

Ibanez Gio

I originally bought it for my Son, but he doesn't play it anymore. I think it cost about $190 new about 6 years ago. It's very light (which makes it easily portable) and sounds ok for the price.

The Schecter Stiletto Classic, only made in 2008 due to high production costs.
25.5 inch scale, EMG 81 active set, 24 jumbo frets, neck through, ebony fingerboard over maple, walnut and wenge. I blocked the trem (Gotoh) because I'm bad enough already.
this thing weighs a ton.
oh yeah, reverse headstock too. Not sure of the significance of that.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

ew wrote:My '95 Gibson EDS-1275. The only guitar I own that's completely stock.
Surprisingly enough, it has a one piece body as far as I can tell.
In the voice of Homer Simpson. Mmmmm, Gibson, drool.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

werp wrote:The Schecter Stiletto Classic, only made in 2008 due to high production costs.
25.5 inch scale, EMG 81 active set, 24 jumbo frets, neck through, ebony fingerboard over maple, walnut and wenge. I blocked the trem (Gotoh) because I'm bad enough already.
this thing weighs a ton.
oh yeah, reverse headstock too. Not sure of the significance of that.
You've got a winged warrior there.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”