Need help with a headphone shootout test.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am looking to upgrade my headphones.. and I've been checking this site out here.
http://www.sonicsense.com/blog/category ... eadphones/

On the site they have a bunch of shoot outs.. where they basically play the same file through a bunch of different headphones at the same level. Anyhow I only have my KRK-KNS8400 headphones to play the results back, but so far I have been enjoying how the DT-990 Pro sound on both my headphones and my cheap consumer sony speakers. Of course I really want a good pair of heaphones that are "honest" so I am kind of hesitant if maybe I am not "hearing" this right which is why i want other opinions. I am currently lacking a good Digital to Analog converter.. so this could also seriously be affecting my tests.

I've listened and download the high quality .AIF files for the Sennheiser HD650, DT990Pro, AKG702 and so far the DT990s sound the most appealing to me.. which is puzzling because they are the cheapest of the three.

Maybe my ears are turning to crap.. but I am really enjoying the soundstage and clarity that I am hearing from the DT990Pros. The only thing I did not enjoy on the DT990 is the hiphop mix.. which seems to reveal either hyped highs or poor mixing.. which i believe needs de-essing..

I wish i had a better studio with high quality monitors and a good interface to test these playbacks with.

Any kind of insight would be great! I'll be mostly mixing Trip-hop, glitch-hop, Dubstep, Industrial Rock style stuff.

My Interface I will be purchasing will be the Focusrite Forte, so I'm hoping the DT990s will work great with them. I suppose I should just go to a music store and ask for demos.
:borg:

I recently replaced my headphones and got the DT 880 Pro.
Expensive but they sound soooo good and flat!
However, I have no experience with the ones you mentioned.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

Karten wrote:I recently replaced my headphones and got the DT 880 Pro.
Expensive but they sound soooo good and flat!
But I have no experience with the ones you mentioned.
If it's ok, can i ask how much you paid for your DT 880 Pro?
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:If it's ok, can i ask how much you paid for your DT 880 Pro?
Around 220 euros. I was quite hesitant at first to spend so much money on headphones but now that I have them and use them every single day, I have no regrets.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

I'd recommend that you go and try headphones in a shop personally. Try to get a CD/memory stick with high quality reference tracks (which could be a challenge to select well to begin with).

I use Sennheiser HD650, Sennheiser HD280Pro, AKG701, have also used this old Audio Technica set the model number of which I can't recall now (they are in storage). Have listend to AIAIAI headphones, Senhesier HD700 and some very high end ones, and the difference between all is huge.

Basically, what I'm trying to say, if you are buying good cans, treat yourself to a proper demo, listen to a few headphones personally, just for the experience.

One thing that is noticeable with good headphones is that you can push the volume up, and up without ear fatigue (just for testing, I'm not suggesting listening to very high levels for a long time). When I try this with my HD280Pro, it soon becomes apparent how harsh they sound at the top end, whereas my HD650 remain silky smooth and easy to listen to.

Hope you find a nice pair.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”