In-ear headphones?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone got any tips on which ones to buy?
Budget around £100.

Mostly just for recreational listening but they should be half decent for composing/pre-mixing as well.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

I have a couple of different sets & the Shures are the best by far. I would recco that you find just the best set of this brand that you can afford & don't look back
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

I love my Etymotics.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

I got these:

Klipsch Image X10i Noise Isolating In-Ear Headset with 3-Button Mic for iPhone / iPod - Black by Klipsch
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00368CICQ

I'm really happy with them. The fit in the ear is amazing and the sound is really good too. They're not exactly rugged so I always keep them in their box, but I think they're a decent buy for 100 quid.

Thanks for the tips everyone.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Razer Hammerhead Pro's.

I loved my Etymotic ER4-Ps, they were great (finally died/fell to pieces after about 5 years of daily use)

Sennheiser CX300B Mk II in ear phones are supposedly listed at several sites as having the best sound quality, and are $40. :-)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

The etymotics er 4p are the only ones I've had, and they still work after 10+ years. I like them fine but maybe there are much better brands. I don't use mine real often. Haven't lately done much dsp, but like to use the etymotics for listening for tiny details or defects in code under dev, because it is the closest thing I have to hotwiring the sound direct to the brain.

IIRC, etymotics has come out with bluetooth variants of the things, which sounds promising for convenience.

Am not against trying other brands except I can't afford to go buying multiple expensive in ear monitors out of curiosity what is the very best. In this kind of product, the mating physically and acoustically with the ear might make product A head and shoulders better for person X, wheras product B may perform better with person Y.

My ear canals might be different dimensioned than average or something, because I've never encountered a set of garden variety ipod type earbuds that would even sit in my ears without immediately falling out, and they never sound good. But the rubber etymotics adapters seal real well and sound good. The various etymotics foam adapters don't work so good, but presumably the foam adapters work better for other shaped ears. Custom ear molds work best but ER's come with several sizes and styles of adapters.

I've had a long term admiration for the imagination and technical expertise of the etymotics company. Their ER-15 custom fit musicians earplugs and ER-20 inexpensive generic fit earplugs were early to market and the best sounding hearing protection I've ever used for nightly stage wear or the rare times going to a loud concert or club.

The company has long made fine audiology testing equipment and unique high end hearing aids. Just saying, maybe they are bested by other brands of ear monitors (dunno) but they are technically advanced on the topic of ears. :)

I've had ety's since the came out practically... went through only two pairs in that time despite tons of use/abuse. I also tried a few pairs of Shure's but the just didn't fit well for me. One thing I'll say for Etymotics is that they have (or had last I checked) really good customer support. Every time I've contacted them they've gone out of their way to make me happy (even when I screwed things up myself!). My current pair went through the washing machine about 4 times after which they stopped working. Got ready to send them in (ety's has an "upgrade/replace" policy regardless of condition) and after 6 months sitting they fixed themselves apparently! So still using them and still happy....

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”