How reliable are your hardware synths?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:D 8)
Last edited by goldenanalog on Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

I initially posted the wrong video. These are the ones I was talking about. Sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdXWsv41lx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9rbprK_EpA

-Sam

8)
Last edited by goldenanalog on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

goldenanalog wrote:Yeah - I was wondering what was going on!

OK, I think that it comes down to this: you'll probably be happiest with a performance keyboard that you can interact with, Sam. So: Mono or poly?
I'd prefer poly. :) Do you not think it would be a similar experience to have a generic midi keyboard controller with the Blofeld simply perched on top? I thought the price difference between the desktop and the keyboard wasn't worth it, is it?

-Sam

masterhiggins wrote:I initially posted the wrong video. These are the ones I was talking about. Sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdXWsv41lx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9rbprK_EpA

-Sam
Yes, it's a wavetable synth, so, no doubt that you can get some different sounds out of it. I was really just questioning the value of the hardware. In general, I don't see it for this type of thing, but, YMMV. I would use plugins for those sounds.

If you specifically want wavetable synths in hardware then you don't have many choices and the blofeld isn't expensive if you don't want the keyboard.

8)
Last edited by goldenanalog on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

goldenanalog wrote:
masterhiggins wrote:
goldenanalog wrote:Yeah - I was wondering what was going on!

OK, I think that it comes down to this: you'll probably be happiest with a performance keyboard that you can interact with, Sam. So: Mono or poly?
I'd prefer poly. :) Do you not think it would be a similar experience to have a generic midi keyboard controller with the Blofeld simply perched on top? I thought the price difference between the desktop and the keyboard wasn't worth it, is it?

-Sam
If you're buying just 1 synth - I personally would try to score the blofeld keyboard - I've never heard anything really bad about the Keybed itself, so it probably could be used as the most basic of controllers (with 4 knobs, admittedly, you don't have much...)

Indeed Probably more optimal would be a more expensive solution like a studio logic waterfall or piano type that has knobs and sliders - and is built for the long haul.

It really depends on you - if (2) pieces (controller and module) I see that as a foundation for expansion versus a one-shot and done deal - you buy the blofeld keys, and live with the limitations.
So, to clarify, I really like small performance keyboards. I think that the SH101 is great, the minibrute is the new SH101, and the microbrute is even more interesting to me personally. I really appreciated having the keyboard on the nord modular. To be clear, I'm not a keyboard player, but the immediacy still has value.

All that said, a $500 difference for what amounts to a 49 key controller keyboard, holy cow that's some tax. I wouldn't pay that much for the blofeld, it's not that good. That said, the $200 premium or so, on average over the module that they fetch used, wouldn't bother me so much.

Well I'm able to get a new Blofeld Keyboard for $800 or the module for $425. Do you think that's low enough just to get the keyboard?

-Sam

8)
Last edited by goldenanalog on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

8)
Last edited by goldenanalog on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

8)
Last edited by goldenanalog on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

8)
Last edited by goldenanalog on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

masterhiggins wrote:Well I'm able to get a new Blofeld Keyboard for $800 or the module for $425. Do you think that's low enough just to get the keyboard?

-Sam
For me, no. For you, you have to decide. That said, based on what goldenanalog says, you get additional value in that you get to load your some 60Meg of samples. That's something like $100. Personally, I'm offended at all of that kind of marketing, but, I'm not you.

I paid a good chunk over $2k for my nord G1 and, to me, it was worth every penny. It changed how I played live and it stopped me from wasting my money on other things.

Used the keyboards go from $500 to $750. How much is the integration and your vision of using this synth to make music worth to you? Sometimes integration and ui are hard to quantify, don't underestimate them but don't project value on them that isn't really there.

8)

8)
Last edited by goldenanalog on Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”