Roland Aira System-1 + SH101 Plug Out Finally Announced

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jumped in to the stream about half way though, lasted about a minute.

Worst. Promo. Ever.

:hihi:
... space is the place ...

Yeah. It was pretty annoying.

I learned one thing. The SH101 plugin will not be sold without the System 1 hardware. In other words, the keyboard is a dongle.

Frantz wrote:Yeah. It was pretty annoying.

I learned one thing. The SH101 plugin will not be sold without the System 1 hardware. In other words, the keyboard is a dongle.

We knew that from day 1, its not a vst.

Yep trying this - the youtube sppears to have some live stream interview going on.

Kriminal wrote:We knew that from day 1, its not a vst.
He demonstrated running it completely from the computer with an onscreen GUI so it could have been a VST if they wanted it to be.

Check out the Nick Batt demo of the System-1... I did, didn't like it. Especially the supersaw, it sounds cramped, linear and "blatty" (you know, uneven rough low end, as many fundamentals interfere in a chaotic swirl). When you compare that to the JP-8k supersaw, the difference is night and day, it's light, airy, the perfect vanilla spice for pads.

How does Roland manage to pioneer so many classic dance sounds and then go on to completely screw them up? It's legendary.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:How does Roland manage to pioneer so many classic dance sounds and then go on to completely screw them up? It's legendary.
The same has happened with every other company that has made digital simulations of their own analog effects or synthesizers from the 60s, 70s or 80s, except one (Eventide). The especially funny thing about Roland is that some of their early digital effect algorithms from two decades ago (not synth, though) are much better than their current ones. Synth and effect developers / designers come and go, in companies like that. That's the main reason why you can't consistently have nice things.
Last edited by Shy on Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

Note Nick hasn't demoed the SH101 plug out yet. Roland does seem to have lost the plot.

I'm not at all impressed with the "plugout" concept, I just don't care about the system 1, but, the SH-101 plugin can be used independently. I wonder if Roland is planning to sell them separately from the System-1? The video implies that they are native and have to be "downloaded" to the plugout slot when to use with the System -1.

Here they say, "not available for sale."

http://www.roland.com/aira/sh101/en/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPDUhDSlMtc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWnApHTrgcg
Last edited by ghettosynth on Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Already a thread on this yesterday :wink:

Frantz wrote:
Kriminal wrote:We knew that from day 1, its not a vst.
He demonstrated running it completely from the computer with an onscreen GUI so it could have been a VST if they wanted it to be.

Im guessing they dont, for obvious reasons. You know this too. :wink:

Didnt get to see the live stream, kept taking me to the play store. Hopefully it will be online later.

Using large, expensive hardware as a dongle for native plugins is not gonna pay off for them, since this is one case where too many people, including owners of the hardware, are not gonna feel bad at all about using cracked versions of those plugins.

Its not expensive.

As a dongle, it sure is :). If its quality is similar to A300-PRO, then it may actually be worth it as a controller, with all the knobs and their arrangement. But if you're mostly interested in getting this for the sound, then having to buy an additional (most likely you already have one) controller when the sound comes from a native plugin anyway and you can't get the sound with the hardware alone, is just lame. It causes frustration in potential buyers, existing owners, and people who aren't potential buyers / owners of the hardware but would have been potential buyers of the native plugin, if they weren't restricted from it. There will be cracked versions and no one will feel particularly bad about it, except Roland.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”