Roland Aira System-1 + SH101 Plug Out Finally Announced

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Its a synth that loads addition configs. Whats the problem? If all you want is an SH101 clone, buy the very excellent TAL vst and use your own controller.

Personally, a well laid out synth is great, im still tempted by the GAIA. Will def demo the System1 in a shop tho, good to get personal experience even if im prob not going to buy it.

I don't get it. So you can only use one instance of the SH101 in your DAW?

There's no problem except that the "plug-out" feature is going to frustrate people who want to use Roland's (and not others') native plugins, for whatever reason (sound, features, brand name), without having to buy or use a specific hardware synth / controller to use them. It doesn't matter to me, personally, since I have much better synths anyway, but I know that the fact there are alternative native plugins with similar features doesn't necessarily mean much. People are going to resent Roland for this, whether it's "justified" or not.

It's kind of funny that until now complaints have been about Roland (and Yamaha, mainly) ignoring native plugin users, and now that they finally made a native plugin, it requires a hardware synth / controller as a dongle.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

cyberheater wrote:I don't get it. So you can only use one instance of the SH101 in your DAW?
I suppose so. LOL

Multiple instances of the plugin in your host. Single instance as the plug out running on standalone hardware.
... space is the place ...

I've just read on forums and some article that you don't have to have the System 1 connected to use the plugin. So I don't get it, Roland doesn't make it clear. If this is true, then I guess forget about the "dongle" part I was writing about. If it's simply that the only way to get the plugin is to buy the System 1, and the plugin just runs natively without the hardware, then maybe it's an even weirder decision.

Says VST/AU on the product page. It can be used with or without the System-1, use of a computer is optional too. It's just not going to be available without System-1, at least for now.
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

Wait, so this hardware has an x86 CPU? I find it hard to believe they'd write two versions of the synth, one for x86 and one for some Motorola DSP or something.

Shy wrote:Wait, so this hardware has an x86 CPU? I find it hard to believe they'd write two versions of the synth, one for x86 and one for some Motorola DSP or something.
Maybe it just acts as a midi editor when the S1 is connected?

T-CM11 wrote:
Shy wrote:Wait, so this hardware has an x86 CPU? I find it hard to believe they'd write two versions of the synth, one for x86 and one for some Motorola DSP or something.
From http://www.roland.com/products/en/SH-101_PLUG-OUT/
Go beyond the original hardware with enhanced tone shaping options and seamless DAW integration via AU and VSTi plugin interfaces. Full PLUG-OUT support means you can use SYSTEM-1 as a dedicated controller and even use the SH-101 without a computer. The freedom of hardware. The flexibility of software. The sound of a legend.
So it runs as a plugin in a DAW, also without the system-1 connected, and it also runs on system-1 without your computer connected. I quite like that.
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

Shy wrote:I've just read on forums and some article that you don't have to have the System 1 connected to use the plugin. So I don't get it, Roland doesn't make it clear. If this is true, then I guess forget about the "dongle" part I was writing about. If it's simply that the only way to get the plugin is to buy the System 1, and the plugin just runs natively without the hardware, then maybe it's an even weirder decision.
Right, I agree. I don't care that much one way or another about an SH-101 plugin, but this is certainly popcorn material right here.

core wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:
From http://www.roland.com/products/en/SH-101_PLUG-OUT/
Go beyond the original hardware with enhanced tone shaping options and seamless DAW integration via AU and VSTi plugin interfaces. Full PLUG-OUT support means you can use SYSTEM-1 as a dedicated controller and even use the SH-101 without a computer. The freedom of hardware. The flexibility of software. The sound of a legend.
So it runs as a plugin in a DAW, also without the system-1 connected, and it also runs on system-1 without your computer connected. I quite like that.
But on what does the plugin run when the S1 is connected? According to the information on their site:
http://www.roland.com/products/en/SH-101_PLUG-OUT/ -> Details
"SH Evolved
Go beyond the original hardware with enhanced tone shaping options and seamless DAW integration via AU and VSTi plugin interfaces. Full PLUG-OUT support means you can use SYSTEM-1 as a dedicated controller and even use the SH-101 without a computer."

So... midi editor/controller software, running on the PC cpu
= like Spark
= not like UAD
Last edited by T-CM11 on Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Add as many instances as you want, and use the software plug-in with or without the SYSTEM-1 connected – the hardware isn’t a dongle, if that’s what you were wondering."

- CDM

Sendy wrote:Check out the Nick Batt demo of the System-1... I did, didn't like it. Especially the supersaw, it sounds cramped, linear and "blatty" (you know, uneven rough low end, as many fundamentals interfere in a chaotic swirl). When you compare that to the JP-8k supersaw, the difference is night and day, it's light, airy, the perfect vanilla spice for pads.

How does Roland manage to pioneer so many classic dance sounds and then go on to completely screw them up? It's legendary.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1#p5792291
Last edited by ghettosynth on Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”