New British hybrid polysynth on the way!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Frantz wrote:If you can't hear this, you are missing out on Modulus' (painful) high frequencies: teenbuzz.mp3

Teens are using that as a ringtone in class because they aren't supposed to be texting and their older teachers can't hear it.
I can hear it, it's quite loud actually, and it makes me ever-so-slightly lightheaded, both when the tone starts, and then again when I'm acclimatized to it and it stops.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:
Frantz wrote:If you can't hear this, you are missing out on Modulus' (painful) high frequencies: teenbuzz.mp3

Teens are using that as a ringtone in class because they aren't supposed to be texting and their older teachers can't hear it.
I can hear it, it's quite loud actually, and it makes me ever-so-slightly lightheaded, both when the tone starts, and then again when I'm acclimatized to it and it stops.
Yes, teenbuzz is an uncomfortable blast of 15 kHz. Modulus goes way above that to the top of the human range.

The filter (which I think is probably not bad at all) and the amount of high frequencies has nothing to do with the screechy sound. I get the same unpleasant feeling when listening to it in significantly filtered sections as well. I can modulate some oscillators that have a huge, essentially "unlimited" (audio-wise) range in ridiculous ways, with no filter, and never get that wincing sensation. It's just the oscillator implementation that causes it. And I'm sure some people would not feel it at all, just like chalk on blackboard does nothing to some people but makes me want to scream.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

Shy wrote:The filter (which I think is probably not bad at all) and the amount of high frequencies has nothing to do with the screechy sound. I get the same unpleasant feeling when listening to it in significantly filtered sections as well. I can modulate some oscillators that have a huge, essentially "unlimited" (audio-wise) range in ridiculous ways, with no filter, and never get that wincing sensation. It's just the oscillator implementation that causes it. And I'm sure some people would not feel it at all, just like chalk on blackboard does nothing to some people but makes me want to scream.
Yes, exactly!! Even when the filtered is lower, I still feel the oscillators scratching at my eardrums in the mid-range frequencies. There is an odd, sharp, spiky quality to those oscillators which I find unpleasant. (To me anyway at least.)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”