Will the 808 and 909 ever just die?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BBFG# wrote:What makes you think they haven't died and all we see are unholy resurrections of their shadows in metamorphic imagery? :hihi:
ummm..maybe the fact that they are still used in studios worldwide be it on pro or amateur level, maybe because every god damn sample library developer has them in product portfolio(in straight form or some other bundle), maybe because for the last decade i am visiting KVR, every two week new thread pop out asking how to get as close to 909 kick drum, or how what is best compressor for 808 or how to mix 808 drums, maybe because every month someone ask when these drums are going to die, yadayada :wink:

You either get it or you don't.

Shy wrote:
rustman wrote:My first drum machine was a Boss DR-110. [...] By todays standard, it was laughable.
Today's standard is laughable compared to DR-110, which is a great synth.
Not sure you are familiar with the machine in question. I'd call it more of a toy than a studio tool. There is no accounting for taste. Your choice of tools is not wrong. There are no wrong choices.

I'd wager that one could set up a mic in a noisy place, record a random 5 seconds, and create a great drum kit out of the raw material. Imagine that. Using the amazing tools we have available to us now. That wouldn't be any more or less right than firing up the old DR-110. Just new and creative. That's not for everyone. It takes time...and you risk becoming The Art of Noise resurrected.
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

I'm familiar with it and many other "drum machines". You're mixing things up completely. DR-110 can't seriously replace real drums or advanced sequencers or anything that loads extensive multi-sampled libraries. It doesn't have many sounds, but what it has is mostly excellent, and if you compare most modern drum synths to it, analog or digital, they sound like crap. Today's standard is "toys", just look at the joke called Tempest. It's not even funny how bad it is compared to real deal drum synths. Sure, as a "drum machine" it may have some nice sequencing features, but who cares, when its synth engine is just the most standard subtractive stuff with lousy sound with no texture and punch whatsoever? It's a great example of simply throwing a stupid synth engine into a sequencer and having the nerve to call the insrument an "analog drum machine". Yes, technically it is a (somewhat analog) lousy one, when compared to instruments with various excellent complex drum synth circuits or algorithms.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

What was this thread about again? :roll:

Where's did I put my xanax?

It was mainly about expressing that you want some synths to "just die" :). But why take xanax? I still love you... :hyper:
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

rustman wrote:Not sure you are familiar with the machine in question. I'd call it more of a toy than a studio tool.
I'll take that "toy" off your hands if you're done playing with it. :hihi:

Seriously, though, that's actually considered to be one of Roland's better sounding drum machines. People go crazy over modding it. I liked the Monotribe a lot but Shy's right, most modern analog drum machines aren't as good as the DR-110 was.

Horses for courses, but even fancy sampled sets seem limited in expression, though I'm out of touch and maybe there is preemo drum software out there somewhere.

If an old or young drum machine makes one happy its all good. But it seemed in the past one can take just one cymbal and a drum stick and make a near unlimited variety of sounds, compared to the cymbals in a drum machine.

I use drum samples, but if it is possible and not too much trouble would always get a drummer involved for the final perc tracks. I'd even try to get a drummer involved with electronic sounds, just because the drummer is an expert on drum tracks and I ain't. :)

JCJR wrote:If an old or young drum machine makes one happy its all good. But it seemed in the past one can take just one cymbal and a drum stick and make a near unlimited variety of sounds, compared to the cymbals in a drum machine.
That's where the Nord Drum is cool, it sounds electronic yet seems to also be expressive like a physical percussion instrument.

Uncle E wrote:
rustman wrote:Not sure you are familiar with the machine in question. I'd call it more of a toy than a studio tool.
I'll take that "toy" off your hands if you're done playing with it. :hihi:

Seriously, though, that's actually considered to be one of Roland's better sounding drum machines. People go crazy over modding it. I liked the Monotribe a lot but Shy's right, most modern analog drum machines aren't as good as the DR-110 was.
Honestly, I had no idea. It's hard for me to imagine that little box in the vinyl snap cover being coveted. I lost it and the 505, along with every thing that I'd ever owned (including my toothbrush and shoes), and every song I'd ever recorded, in an apartment fire back in '93 or so. I suppose that, at the time, I was looking for something that sounded like a real drummer. Obviously, that wasn't going to come from that box. I had no idea people were modding them.

rustman wrote:I suppose that, at the time, I was looking for something that sounded like a real drummer. Obviously, that wasn't going to come from that box. I had no idea people were modding them.
Yeah, they're kind of a poor man's 606.

At like $1000+ a pop on ebay, they've actually increased in value, no?

arkmabat wrote:At like $1000+ a pop on ebay, they've actually increased in value, no?
Holy crap, that's crazy.

Price is going to start going up rapidly with the caps failing in the next few years. Probably double in price easy.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”