What's Your "Go To" guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ew wrote:
My other go to's my American Standard Strat- it has EMGs.

ew
so does mine.

bluedad wrote:
ew wrote:

ew
so does mine.
mine too, but it's not an American Standard...just a Warmoth :shrug:

edit BTW one of my EMGs in my Strat is an 81 possibly from 1981...one of the earlier EMG 81's
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

lfm wrote:I try to "walk" them equally - to keep them tuned up, neck properly adjusted to the season temperature and humidity. It's a pity with warped necks on nice instruments.

If I don't care about playing one for a long time - I sell it off.
I used to do that. I'd try and get at least an hour or two of play each week on every guitar I owned. That was a lot of playing.

I've only sold a few guitar. If I became too frustrated (neck warping) usually the guitar was too cheap to sell and it went into the dumpster. Most of the guitars I've had were stolen. I've only sold three guitars. Two ibby's and a samick.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote:
lfm wrote:I try to "walk" them equally - to keep them tuned up, neck properly adjusted to the season temperature and humidity. It's a pity with warped necks on nice instruments.

If I don't care about playing one for a long time - I sell it off.
I used to do that. I'd try and get at least an hour or two of play each week on every guitar I owned. That was a lot of playing.

I've only sold a few guitar. If I became too frustrated (neck warping) usually the guitar was too cheap to sell and it went into the dumpster. Most of the guitars I've had were stolen. I've only sold three guitars. Two ibby's and a samick.
I have never sold a guitar of my own (sold a whole bunch in retail), I've traded two basses but never a guitar. I do have my guitar collection very detailed in my will as to who gets what guitar, guitars like my Warmoth and my baritone (also Warmoth) really have little resale value so selling them wont do my family much good but there are a few friends who will give them good homes and those friends can trust I wont likely be selling them ;)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Last week it was the Gibson BFG Goldtop.
Unfortunately there was an instrument sale over the weekend.
Yesterday, today and most of the week it will be the new PRS NF3 in Trans black Korina with a maple neck.
I'm blaming my wife.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

bluedad wrote:
ew wrote:

ew
so does mine.
Doesn't get much better than that. EMGs sound great and I like the shape of a strat.

Yes it does. SD all the way.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

My DIY squire nashville partscaster, but I'm still not happy with the pickups, I need a neck pickup that isn't so hot. I've long sold off anything that's worth anything. As is often said about married couples, they (my skills and cheap guitars) deserve each other.

Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue:
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electri ... Specs.aspx

1. Strat scale length - thumbs up
2. Strat hardtail style bridge - thumbs up
3. Nut width same as my acoustic - thumbs up
4. Mini HB in the neck, hot rodded SC middle, slant HB in the tail, 5 position switch, push pull tone to single the HBs - thumbs up
5. Grover 14:1 tuners - thumbs up
6. Ace fit and finish - thumbs up

I can get so many different tones out of this thing, including classic Strat stuff. I sold my Fat Strat - didn't need it any longer and this thing does all of that and more authentic HB sounds than the very thin sounding HB in the tail of my MIM Fat Strat.

For awhile, Sweetwater was selling this guitar for $299, not it's up to $329, but an incredible value for a very versatile guitar.

tapper mike wrote:Yes it does. SD all the way.
We'll agree to disagree on this one. I've yet to hear a Duncan single coil that I really like- but then again, I'm more into bell tones instead of glassy ones as far as Strats go.

In fact, I'm not much of a Duncan fan at all. I really like the APH as a neck humbucker (I have one in the neck on a couple of my guitars), and a JB sounds really good in some guitars. Other than those, none really stand out to me and my ears. YMMV, of course.

ew
A spectral heretic...

ew wrote: In fact, I'm not much of a Duncan fan at all. I really like the APH as a neck humbucker (I have one in the neck on a couple of my guitars), and a JB sounds really good in some guitars. Other than those, none really stand out to me and my ears. YMMV, of course.

ew
I did a comparison between Duncan, DiMarzio and Gibson mikes I had and Duncan had no real tone in them, just a sound of some sort. Different world from DM and G.

SD JB and Jazz.
DM Paf Pro I think it was
Gibson 490R, 498T and 57 Classic.

Certain type of crunch there is not so much difference what you use, but if you like to build a tone with anything from clean, to bluesy, to crunch difference is big.

1984 Hamer Prototype II all stock with Kahler. Can go from crystal clear and clean to heavy distortion with both jangly strat tones and humbucking tones.
Surfing, skateboarding, Music Making Man and tech fool.
New Album! KnowledgeBass

/end thread..... ;-)
Surfing, skateboarding, Music Making Man and tech fool.
New Album! KnowledgeBass

lfm wrote:
ew wrote: In fact, I'm not much of a Duncan fan at all. I really like the APH as a neck humbucker (I have one in the neck on a couple of my guitars), and a JB sounds really good in some guitars. Other than those, none really stand out to me and my ears. YMMV, of course.

ew
I did a comparison between Duncan, DiMarzio and Gibson mikes I had and Duncan had no real tone in them, just a sound of some sort. Different world from DM and G.

SD JB and Jazz.
DM Paf Pro I think it was
Gibson 490R, 498T and 57 Classic.

Certain type of crunch there is not so much difference what you use, but if you like to build a tone with anything from clean, to bluesy, to crunch difference is big.
I had the SD and Jazz in a LP knock off and they did wonders for me. Honestly they sound better in a telecaster (jeff beck) and work really well with ... Jeff Beck tunes at the time he was playing them. That's my hope for my blacktop tele. The Blacktops Fender alnico 5s are just to compressed and dark for it.

Back when I was collecting guitars for the sake of collecting guitars (and work) I picked up this three pickup 335 copy with Dimarzio's in it (don't know the flavor) It was all mid with little punch. I swapped them out for bartoni's. It wasn't worth a damn for scorching leads afterwards but it was great for delicate work.

My only experience with EMG's was on a Peavey Horizon and an ibanex x-ing 2010. The peavey had an 80's new wave vibe happening with it and a linear response (which I grew to hate) The ibby was already a monster in weight and tone w stock ibby pickups and I could notice no significant difference with the EMG's. Very throaty lots of mids and a tone that was very "cold" to my ears.

Warmth does't always have to be mid / low enhanced imho I've had some rather chimey tones with on guitars that one can still get the love out of such as my parker.

Much of pickup selection and guitar selection has to do with personality / familiarity. Each time I've picked up a guitar that was "out of my character" Such as MM EVH it was a great one trick pony for EVH material but I was not suited to most of my playing or personality. That's why from now on I want to simply stick to what works for me as a player. Rather then trying to change my personality to fit the guitar.

Overall, I'm content with my tele modern player for the time being. If I could score enough money I'd give it a major SD upgrade. Shy of winning the lottery I won't be buying any more guitars for the next few years.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”