JP-8000 powers on but frozen

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

JP-8000 (1998 synth). turns on, lights up, but the screen is all solid light up pixels and nothing happens.

Before I bring it to a tech, what are some things maybe could fix it, like battery replacement? I've opened and done a few small synth repairs on random synths so I think I can pull this off if anyone has an idea? thanks.

Check all the power supply voltages. It may be that the +5V to the CPU is not working.

Try doing a factory reset first; it might have just crashed. I've gotten quite a few synths to boot up from a blank screen by doing factory resets.

http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/art ... -settings/

ew
A spectral heretic...

The Roland factory guide says something different, though:

https://www.rolandus.com/assets/press_m ... _Reset.pdf

ew
A spectral heretic...

bump. It's still just sitting there broke. I can't access anything such as a factory reset someone suggested. Someone suggested Check all the power supply voltages. It may be that the +5V to the CPU is not working.
With a multimeter? Should I post pictures of the insides and then you tell me what to do? thanks

p.s. it makes no sound, it does nothing but just light up all the display pixels and be frozen.

"I've fixed a Korg Mono/poly and two different guitar amps simply by opening them up and unplugging/replugging all the cables. Scratches the oxide off the contacts."

I'll try this ^. Factory reset doesn't work, I tried even though the display only ever shows solid pixels. I called the tech, he said try factory reset. He fixed other stuff wrong with it about a year before this problem happened, cost me almost as much as a nice used JP8K. I might have to sell this as-is. Shame this synth is such a classic but not worth fixing, I'd be better off probably selling as-is and then waiting for a good price for a used one. I might just have to sample the heck out of it and sell it before it craps out, and stick with newer more reliable hardware.

Or buy another one and use as spare part machine to this one.
Then you've got some redundant stuff that is helpful in future.

Then the dope you used on this one is not all lost, maybe.
And another broken machine in some regard is probably cheap.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”