Lots of hardware to connect to DAW - few soundcard in and outputs

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!

I got a soundcard with 2 x stereo in and 2 x stereo out. Now I'm getting more and more hardware gear and want to connect it. Currently I use 1-2 output to the monitors and 3-4 output to a compressor. 1-2 input are not connected and 3-4 input are the processed signal comming from the compressor. Now I want to add more hardware gear (more comporessors, eqs etc).

Do you have any good suggestions on how to solve the situation with the limited amount of in and output (no, not buying a new soundcard with more in and outputs right now).

I want to be able to sometimes route the sound and return to a compressor and sometimes to an eq or some other outboard gear.
Threshold Productions | linktr.ee/thresholdproductions.se

patchbay?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:patchbay?
This.

Probably one of the best things I've ever bought for the studio.
Loved it so much I bought another 2 of them.

Oh and they can be had for the cost of a good meal.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Thanks, a patchbay it is then :)
Threshold Productions | linktr.ee/thresholdproductions.se

a mixing desk?!

i think of a patchbay as a quick way of reconfiguring fx routings.
ideally you'd want one normalled as a bank of insert points and
another with your ins+outs on it. the behringer/samson ones
have switches for each i/o pair to give you choice of
normalled/half-normalled/parallel/and whatever the other common
option is. good way to learn how to use a patchbay effectively.

I used a line mixer until I upgraded my PCIe IO.
Behringer 1602 euromix or something like that.
They don't color the sound, have stereo IO w effects send (which I never used) and a monitor out.
Nice cheap solution for around a hundred or so.

I use a mixer (ZED14) to connect my hardware synths and fx to my 2 input soundcard.

Patchbay AND mixer.

Patchbay gives you the ultimate flexibility and the mixer makes it possible to listen to several sources at the same time ;)
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

I cant help but think the mixer recommendations are coming from people who didnt read the OP properly. They're not looking to mix or even use lots of different input channels, they're looking for multiple processing choices on their existing inputs.
A mixer is a pretty OTT solution for that.
Now I want to add more hardware gear (more comporessors, eqs etc).
Do you have any good suggestions on how to solve the situation with the limited amount of in and output (no, not buying a new soundcard with more in and outputs right now).
I want to be able to sometimes route the sound and return to a compressor and sometimes to an eq or some other outboard gear.
mztk wrote:i think of a patchbay as a quick way of reconfiguring fx routings.
and that's exactly what he wanted...

whyterabbyt wrote:I cant help but think the mixer recommendations are coming from people who didnt read the OP properly. They're not looking to mix or even use lots of different input channels, they're looking for multiple processing choices on their existing inputs.
a mixer will be fine later, if he windws up with multiple sources he wants to mix, but that's not what he's asking for right now. but personally, at that stage I'd be after more audio inputs instead.

whyterabbyt wrote:I cant help but think the mixer recommendations are coming from people who didnt read the OP properly. They're not looking to mix or even use lots of different input channels, they're looking for multiple processing choices on their existing inputs.
mztk wrote:i think of a patchbay as a quick way of reconfiguring fx routings.
and that's exactly what he wanted...

Only partially true. The more gear you get, you are going to be in need of a mixer sooner and later. Plus the patchbay. That need will grow with more gear for sure. So even if not asked for, that recommendation is still favorable.

whyterabbyt wrote:
a mixer will be fine later, if he windws up with multiple sources he wants to mix, but that's not what he's asking for right now. but personally, at that stage I'd be after more audio inputs instead.
yes, sooner or later, the final wish will be 16 or 32 I/Os :D

A patchbay is probably a good solution for now and I don't think a mixer is a bad suggestion either. If you're using "more and more hardware gear" a mixer is sort of inevitable. A line mixer like the 1604 mentioned is a good in between mixer alternative. Something like the Zed will give you more options and is certainly something to consider down the road. Maybe start with a pathbay.
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

deft_bonz wrote:Only partially true. The more gear you get, you are going to be in need of a mixer sooner and later.
Nope, not necessarily. I havent needed a mixer since I went past 2in/2out over a decade ago. 24 inputs/outputs and 3 patchbays gives me more than enough flexiblity to do without one entirely, and barely need to even repatch into the bargain. I dont want my sources mixed at the input stage at all, I want them all available separately.

Since this IS after all Kvr, I should have qualified my post by saying "your mileage may vary". And it obviously does vary. Sounds like you are doing fine with all those patchbays, I personally would have gone with a mixer.
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”