Nektar or Arturia or ???

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have 3 MIDI workstations at a university.

Currently, I have some older 1st gen Oxygen 61s. USB is going bad on one, one key is no longer working on another, grit and grime from constant use is getting yucky, etc.

So it's time to upgrade. I'm also upgrading the computers, software, and interfaces, because the old Tascam FW 1804s I have are no longer supported by the latest Mac OS.

This is a university purchase so there are rules I have to follow. It has to be a new device, and it has to be $500.00 or more. $499.99 won't work. If it costs 502 and someone quotes me 475 at purchase time, they won't buy it.

I'd really prefer a 61 key due mainly to the space considerations of the workstations. However, finding a 61 key controller over 500 is tricky! The only thing I looked at is the Nektar. The benefit is it's set up to control Logic X, which is the software I'd be going to.

Some of the 88 keys look interesting, but if I have to go 88 the Arturia looks interesting because of the set of Virtual instruments that come with it.

Anyone have any experience with either one of these?

Another option would be to go with a 6 key synth/workstation. I already have a rackmount Motif and Fantom, so if I were to do that I would go with maybe a Korg or other brand to have a different set of onboard sounds. The issue there is, while we do use the keyboard primarily only for note entry (Note On/Note Off messages) I do want to teach DAW control so some faders/knobs, etc. for Volume/Pan, etc. control of DAW functions would be nice.

To be honest, the Nektar fits the bill, but, I'm a bit concerned that it's an "off brand" and that at that price level I could also get that many more sounds from something else...

$500 is a weird limit, but i understand a little about university purchasing.... if you bundle them together for over $500, would that work?

novation SL MKii is very similar to the nektar, and they've been around a bit longer, if that's important. i have a remote zero that i like a lot, and had a 25 before with decent keys, so the keys on it are probably nice too. but they do have differences... the SLs have a few more buttons i think, while the separate master volume on the p6 is nice (and if the drum pads actually work, that's a plus too - they are not very usable on the SLs). never used a p6, but the p1 (the controller like a quneo) looks pretty cool.

the new korg taktiles look cool (and even a triton taktile with onboard sounds plus the controls!) but limited to 49 keys apparently... a 61 key version would have been perfect.

So you mentioned the minimum price. What about the maximum?
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

llatham wrote:To be honest, the Nektar fits the bill, but, I'm a bit concerned that it's an "off brand" and that at that price level I could also get that many more sounds from something else...
I've heard plenty of good about the Panorama P4/P6 and from some people whose opinions I value. Planning to get one myself.

Over 500 there is only one option under 61 keys: Nektar.

In 88 weighted there are more: Roland, Arturia , Studio logic, or a digital Piano by yamaha, casio or the rd 64 by roland.

Work stations.. what is your upper limit?

Maybe roland fa-61 could be an option.
dedication to flying

Thanks so far guys.

My upper limit is the sky - but if I request too high I may not get anything. So it's a balancing act. I'm really trying to stay between 500 and 1000. I also can't bundle these - I did that to get the original workstations but since these are upgrades to individual pieces, that won't work.

Some members on another forum discourages the Arturia because of durability issues (students will be using these constantly) and a couple recommended Akai - again has to be an 88 though to get up into the price range.

Nektar P1

or an 88 key like the Akai.

llatham wrote:I'm really trying to stay between 500 and 1000.
Then get a Yamaha MX61 and forget the low quality stuff. It has a very good keyboard and sturdy pitch and modulation wheels and (4) knobs.

There are keyboards with more knobs, or sliders, but nothing with this build quality in this price range. 4 knobs are enough for real time control with most things. Other than durability / build quality (yet it's light and slim), it has the usual basic DAW integration (no keyboard gives you significant or accurate DAW control, anyway), lots of Motif sounds, and effects.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

llatham wrote:Thanks so far guys.

My upper limit is the sky - but if I request too high I may not get anything. So it's a balancing act. I'm really trying to stay between 500 and 1000. I also can't bundle these - I did that to get the original workstations but since these are upgrades to individual pieces, that won't work.

Some members on another forum discourages the Arturia because of durability issues (students will be using these constantly) and a couple recommended Akai - again has to be an 88 though to get up into the price range.

Nektar P1

or an 88 key like the Akai.
For heavy duty I would pick a digital piano or the Roland controllers. Arturia has a very bad costumer service to begin with.
dedication to flying

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”