Please help me with buying an analog synthesizer.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want something to make like kick drums, snares, clap, pad sounds bass and pluck. I would like to know what do you think about those synth because my budget is 600, i know its cheap but that what i have. Arturia MiniBrute Analog Synthesizer ,Novation Bass Station II Analog Mono-Synth, Korg MS-20 Mini Semi-modular Analog Synthesizer,Arturia MicroBrute Analog Synthesizer , Arturia MiniBrute SE Analog Synthesizer. I make electronic misic. I want to know which one is the best choise and why. Also i would like to know their limit. Like I said, my budget is 600 so if you recomend something better, please tell me :)
hi obama

Here is what im looking for, something polyphony with nice quality sound to make pad sounds, kick drums sounds, bass and others type of sounds. My last budget is 800 I want it for serious thing as I am studing sound design. I want to know is there is a good analog synth at this price. I saw a youtube video and some review about the Roland Gaia sh-01 but it a lot of people said that it sounds like a toys and things like that. Another thing that I want to add is that I also need it for midi controler. Please if you know a good one let me know. already bought my sound card and monitors. Thansk.
hi obama

The Roland Gaia SH-01 is a digital synth (like a VA plugin, but in a hardware case with keyboard). Nothing wrong with that, it might sound amazing, but it's not analogue. This is probably why you see people complaining about the sound - some people are analogue synth snobs ;)

To answer your question, it will be quite difficult to find an analogue poly synth for $800, although there may be some 4 voice models that are suitable, for example:

DSI Tetra:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar10/a ... itetra.htm

2nd hand DSI Mopho X4:

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech/ ... x4-568908/

On a good day you might find the Elektron A4 for $800 - $900 2nd hand. That is a very capable synth with an integrated sequencer, that is great for sound design (assuming you get along with the Elektron workflow, which is a little different to other synths).

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

thanks guys, ill move the post so go there lolz.
hi obama

ZenPunkHippy wrote:This is probably why you see people complaining about the sound - some people are analogue synth snobs ;)
The complaints I've seen are more to do with stuff like you can't have osc sync and use the filter at the same time.

Roland SH-201 can be had for peanuts second-hand

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=ro ... 1&_sacat=0

Read more about the synth here: http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/sh201.php

As one of your requirements is to use as midi-controller, you get more keyboard with SH-201 than GAIA

Acid Mitch wrote:
ZenPunkHippy wrote:This is probably why you see people complaining about the sound - some people are analogue synth snobs ;)
The complaints I've seen are more to do with stuff like you can't have osc sync and use the filter at the same time.
Hah, yeah I'd complain about that too :lol:
... space is the place ...

your only option really for a cheap analog poly is the tetra by DS...trust me no VA will sound as good as the real thing(actually DIVA comes pretty close),i would definitely consider a tetra
live 11 / Arturia collection / many Softube plug ins / thats it

By analogue I presume you mean VA.

If it doesn't need to be new, then what about a Nord Lead or JP8000.
Actually there's hundreds of the suckers.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Numanoid wrote:Roland SH-201 can be had for peanuts second-hand

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=ro ... 1&_sacat=0

Read more about the synth here: http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/sh201.php

As one of your requirements is to use as midi-controller, you get more keyboard with SH-201 than GAIA
The SH-201 is not analog. It's described as "analog modelling" which means it's digital.

Were you going to overdub the pads each note? I think most of those are monophonic synths.

Your percussion sounds might not turn out as well as you like either, being that these synths don't have programmable envelopes.

Maybe try to find a synth that just excels at one of these things, and then worry about the rest?
:D

thomni wrote:Were you going to overdub the pads each note? I think most of those are monophonic synths.

Your percussion sounds might not turn out as well as you like either, being that these synths don't have programmable envelopes.

Maybe try to find a synth that just excels at one of these things, and then worry about the rest?
Yeah, while each one of the synths mentioned will get you what you're asking for, none of them will excel in all your categories. That said, I'd probably pick the MS20 mini out of all the synths you mentioned as it's semi modular layout will give you the most flexibility and allow you to expand things as time goes by. My issue with the new MS20 mini is that they stuck too closely to the original in terms of velocity sensitivity, though you might not care.

Also, you said you have 600... what? Pounds? Dollars? Euros? Makes a pretty big difference. I'm not sure where you'd get a MS20 mini for $600 USD.

In the same price range as the MS20mini look at the Waldorf Pulse. 3 oscs, Filter FM, overdrive ring modulation, and a ton of modulation options are going to go a long way for making good sounds of all types. The price you will pay is an interface that isn't a 1:1 knob/function style, but instead a matrix style of programming. Frankly, once you get used to it I don't mind it at all, though I prefer a Moog Source style of interface where you choose the function with a button and then have a single knob for changing parameters. I can get around super fast on my ATC-x qfs... which I'd recommend to you, but it's filters aren't the snappiest for drum sounds.

Another route for you might be to wait for the Akai Rhythm Wolf. There's your analog drum voices along with a mono synth for $200 USD. With the rest of your money pick up the Bass Station II and you'll have a nice little set up. If the Rhythm Wolf doesn't impress you, I love my JoMoX M.brane 1_1 and you can find them for about $200 on eBay if you're patient. Warning though, it's that Moog Source style of editing, but that let's them keep the cost down and give you a lot of flexibility.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

inexpensive alternatives to your memorymoogs, prophet5's jupiter 8's yamaha cs80's are......AKAI AX60 or AX73 or AX80 also the roland jx8p or juno 106, oberheim matrix6, korg poly-six are great
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Merged yet another thread into this one.
No longer a moderator.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”