Please help me understand iloud -ikmultimedia

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there, unfortunately due to daily declining health I am more and more confined to the house/bed.

I am clearing out most of my stuff but i want a minimalist setup that i can use with my *laptop* to at least create some music otherwise i will literally go insane.

I have been looking for a speaker that I can sit in bed and play ipad games with and the iloud will obviously do that brilliantly with it's bluetooth.

But i read everywhere that bluetooth has terrible latency for pro audio so it wouldn't be useful to use when creating music say using reason or logic.

Unless I am misunderstanding, i can actually take the 1/8 phones output of my laptop and plug it directly into iloud, and have a stereo reproduction and portable monitoring system in my bedroom? Is this correct>

It's a shame there is no digital input..

Any rumors of an updated iloud with more inputs?

Any help or alternatives appreciated.

The less clutter the better.

Hi. Yes, the Bluetooth latency is too high and you could just connect the 1/8” output. There is still a slight latency because of the conversion and internal DSP processing but I think it's probably only around or less than 50 samples. I don't think there's any other stereo speaker that's as small with similar frequency response and loudness specs. They "cheat" by using a digital equalizer that "flattens" the frequency response as much as possible, but if that's what it takes to make it sound more accurate, who cares.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

Yes every review i read says for monitoring it is about as good as aportable BT can be but there are more flattering ones for general listening. But I am sure for that it will be better than my current 7w USB speaker bar LOL!

Thanks Shy, 50 samples is nothing, all audio cards have a sort of latency anyway on their ADC DAC so it's just this you mean, yes?

Basically i should be able to get ultra low latency using the on board mac sound then plugged directly into it.

Will be great!

I guess a balanced 1/8 to 1/8 cable is the way to go?

Thanks again!

H, sorry one more question.. i don't want to miss the sale as even with shipping i can get it slightly cheaper than i can in OZ... BUT.. i can get the bag included and use my 75 euros jampoints too!

So basically will be 100 less than locally but also the bag added to the cart.

The thing is, does anyone know if it's worldwide switching voltage? I mean they are selling it on their website to all countries so i prsume so but just checking...

PS I think i put this in the wrong hardware subforum, mods please feel free to move and accept my apologies

I use the iloud as a portable monitor/speaker for my easy to travel setup with my Korg Kross. I use a dual 1/4" to a single 1/8" to connect directly to the iloud.

Cable: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CMP159

Works like a charm. Plenty loud for many situations. Works well for practice with other instruments as long as you're not playing death metal, I suppose.

I've been happy with the purchase. The sound is good and it's much easier to carry around to most places instead of my 40 pound keyboard amp. Places where I'd need a bigger speaker usually have a sound system to plug-in to.

Your idea of 1/8 to 1/8 cable should work fine.

My iloud inner box has a sticker where the PSU version can be marked. The choices are US, EU, UK, JP, AU, KR so presumably there are at least that many versions out there.

Mine did not have any box checked but I'm in the U.S. so maybe it's the default for ones stocked here.

jsp1979 wrote:My iloud inner box has a sticker where the PSU version can be marked. The choices are US, EU, UK, JP, AU, KR so presumably there are at least that many versions out there.

Mine did not have any box checked but I'm in the U.S. so maybe it's the default for ones stocked here.

ok well i presume IK would know which to send then LOL.

Cheers!

One final question then i am sold!

This would make it perfect...

Can I have the ipad connected via bluetooth and the macbook directly connected at the same time?

Good question. I've never tried it.

I'll try it this afternoon and get back to you.

EDIT: It'll end up being Monday afternoon, but I'll test it for you.

jsp1979 wrote:Good question. I've never tried it.

I'll try it this afternoon and get back to you.

EDIT: It'll end up being Monday afternoon, but I'll test it for you.

Thank you!

I've been doing some research and it seems I could run my usb interface out into it byt getting a 1/4 adapter y for the two outputs of the interface going to a single 1/8.

I am pretty sure this is what i need for my situation but as long as I can have it permanently wired and still attach bluetooth devices to it, i am beyond sold! Thanks again will check tonight.

Cheers!

Theo,

I tried it today and there were no problems.

I connected my Nexus 7 tablet to the iloud using Bluetooth and played music. At the same time, I connected my Korg Kross keyboard to the 1/8" input using the cable I linked to in my post above. Both played through the iloud at the same time so I was able to play keyboard parts over the Bluetooth streamed music.

Thanks so much! I am S O L D

Well got my iloud today, this is either completely broken, or is the biggest POS on the market.
I tend to think it's faulty, and not a POS, with all the glowing reviews.

*anything* under 100hz, even at say 1/4 volume, literally breaks apart in a way i can't even reproduce on my laptop logitec 10w speaker bar LOL.

It didn't have an aussie plug by the way, lucky i found one, it charged fine, (provide 3.5mm cable one side is completely warped though, have contacted them about it).

I just have no idea what to think right now.

I think the best way might be for me to send an audio file to someone here and see if it breaks up for them at low - moderate volume. At this stage, it's only usable when i have it set *softer* than the speaker bar.. rough guide, imagine internal laptop speakers, that's the sort of volume i can get out of it before it just all breaks apart. Any ideas?

Ok it must be faulty.. I counted the rotations from zero to max volume (it's a continuous never ending type volume knob)..

It can not even handle watching a movie at 40% volume.. as soon as there is a car noise or any bass, it just starts rattling, breaking apart and distorting. Mac volume setting themselves are not at full (80% ), iloud at 40%, VLC at 90%.. forget it...

Now to test itunes and some muzak..

...edit.. nup... breaks apart.. this can't be right

Sounds like you have one of two things going on - either a faulty unit, or faulty expectations.

I've had my iLoud for about 9 months or so and it is the best portable speaker I've heard for Bluetooth music listening and wired, is the best range and flattest mix of any portable out there. Absolutely zero issues with mine. Using it with 1/8" cable or 1/4" guitar input or BT works great. BT latency is unacceptable for my music apps, but Pandora or iTunes is perfect with bluetooth. Extreme volume settings and very low bass can give a little rattle here and there, but very infrequent. Helps to setup like a sub and point the port towards a corner.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

I love mine. The 1/4 input is a little noisy, at least in my setup, but I rarely use that.

No complaints about overall sound quality, I use it for streaming from Amazon all the time. Battery lasts a long time, and it can be really loud and still sound good.
It's pretty expensive and I might not have bought it if I hadn't found an incredible deal on it at Overstock, but I'm a satisfied customer.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”