Inner Clock Sync-Gen II

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mushy Mushy wrote:Ooooh this looks interesting. Will try it tonight also.
Both computers already have Bonjour (due to iTunes), so that's no issue.
It's worth a shot ... I just tested Logic master with Live slave on 2 Macs. The initial sync is like a drunken sailor, but it settles down after 2 or 3 bars - but that's kinda normal anyway.

The sync is not perfect, but it's reliably out of time once it's "in".
I presume the benefit over standard MIDI is the speed and therefore latency.
The two PC's are already networked together anyway.
I would guess that since there are no audio-sound-card-MIDI-drives involved, and it's running over the network, some of the overheads are reduced.

Also worth trying MTC (Midi Time Code) using this method, it might give you better results.

Live will accept MTC, so it depends on whether Cubase will send it.

In some situations it's a bit more accurate, because (I think) the the MIDI messages are time stamped.
... space is the place ...

You don't need a special sync thingy at all as I see it.

Use the MTC(midi time code) external sync options as master and slave between any midi equipment.

Most hosts have this, unless being the entry level version where some leave this out.

So having midi ports on different units is enough.

Otherwise Cubase got this VST link or what they call it. But Live may not support that. But then you need spdif or adat ins/outs as I remember.

lfm wrote:You don't need a special sync thingy at all as I see it.

Use the MTC(midi time code) external sync options as master and slave between any midi equipment.

Most hosts have this, unless being the entry level version where some leave this out.

Otherwise Cubase got this VST link or what they call it. But Live may not support that. But then you need spdif or adat ins/outs as I remember.
This is how I initially set it up and it's months out of sync. Literally a full couple of seconds. Annoyingly though it varies, so I'm unable to compensate for it.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:This is how I initially set it up and it's months out of sync. Literally a full couple of seconds. Annoyingly though it varies, so I'm unable to compensate for it.
That sounds like unusable.

I used it a lot at the time I used portastudio 2001 and synced a laptop running a diversity of synths and plugins - and it was fine. Took a little while to get the settings right though, as I remember.

A pity, it should work. But your setup might be much larger than mine at the time.

Yeah, when syncing two DAWs use MTC or even SMPTE when possible. I used a MOTU MIDI Time Piece with MTC to sync My HD24 to my DAW (Pro Tools and Live) for a while and it works great. You get song position and much tighter sync than MIDI Beat Clock. The Innerclock products are more for syncing drum machines and things with analog or din-sync clocks.

Mushy Mushy wrote:
lfm wrote:You don't need a special sync thingy at all as I see it.

This is how I initially set it up and it's months out of sync. Literally a full couple of seconds. Annoyingly though it varies, so I'm unable to compensate for it.
There may be an offset... some software and hardware start from 00 some start from 01. The MIDI Time Piece's ClockWork software has a feature for offsetting the start position. It been a while since I had to do this kind of thing so I may be remembering wrong.
Also, if you are sending audio from one computer to another, you need some way to compensate for the latency introduced by your audio buffer. In Cubase I don't think there is an option for this in the Sync settings so you may have to delay all other tracks by the amount of latency introduced by the input buffer.

Acid Mitch wrote:
fragmentated wrote: If you are trying to line up/sync the timeline in two daws together - that it won't do.
Why not ?
I've had linear sequencers that respond to SPP just fine.
The sync gen does not send SPP info. Midi clock and start/stop messages are all it sends.

It uses two audio outs from your interface to transmit that information. One that sends the clock and one that sends the start/stop messages which are transmitted through their sync gen box.

fragmentated wrote:
The sync gen does not send SPP info. Midi clock and start/stop messages are all it sends.
Ahh, I tHought the sync gen sent spp. The issue is much clearer now,thanks. :tu:
Last edited by Acid Mitch on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

justin3am wrote:Yeah, when syncing two DAWs use MTC or even SMPTE when possible. I used a MOTU MIDI Time Piece with MTC to sync My HD24 to my DAW (Pro Tools and Live) for a while and it works great. You get song position and much tighter sync than MIDI Beat Clock. The Innerclock products are more for syncing drum machines and things with analog or din-sync clocks.
Hello Justin, bit drunk ATM :D
Will reply tomorrow mate 8)
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”