Having trouble picking a compact synth! What are people using here??

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I produce sample based Hip-Hop/Electronic music

I wanna get a compact synth for my studio/mobile set-up but i just dont know which one.My top picks as of now are

Novation mininova
Roland System-1

Im even thinking about the arturia keylab 25! not a real synth of course but i can run my softsynths thru my outboard gear to give it that analog vibe.

Here's my deal! i never had a synth before and i want sumthin thats gonna go well with my MPC 1000 to complete my mobile set-up.I have a Ren at home but i dont wanna bring that everywhere.I want a compact synth that has bass,leads,pads etc and one thats poly cause i wanna play chords over my tracks. System-1 looks like its up my alley but im really not sure now.Who knows what roland will do with it in the next year,although the plug-outs seem to be rolling out at a good pace.Now im thinkin about the arturia keylab 25.It has midi in/out so it can connect to the 1000 and i can use the keyboard to play my 1000 sounds or sample soft synths into my MPC and play from there.Im prolly gonna wait until the NAMM show (which i will be attending) to see what new compact synths pop-up (if any lol) and make my decision from there.Im curious to see what people are using on here so i can get somewhat a better idea.Any help or suggestions would be great.

I'm using an Alesis Andromeda. I'd recommend it!

LimboLoves wrote:I'm using an Alesis Andromeda. I'd recommend it!
The Andromeda is a 5-octave poly, a metre wide and a third of a metre deep weighing nearly 50lbs in weight. Which bit of 'compact synth' or 'mobile setup' was a problem ?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I'd probably pick a mininova over the System 1. Hook up a midi cable from the out of the MPC to in on the mininova and sync time. I don't own a mininova, but played around with one at GC and they are pretty fun and have some versatile sounds plus some cool live control features.

Another to consider is a microKorg. Really liked the mininova sound and features though. A lot you can do with one synth and an MPC. Akai also makes a mini synth too. The Miniak. It's got great sounds. Like their ION but with better fx and less surface controls.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Also - if you have an iPhone or iPad, there are a lot of great iOS synthesizers that will sync time and you can attach a mini controller keyboard to them. I'm using my iPad like that with my MV-8800, but could just as easily use the iPhone. Find a mini controller keyboard with a few rotary dials to map up to cutoff/resonance/lfo rate, or whatever.

With your MPC 1000 and a 37 mini key controller with a few knobs and sliders plus iPhone, it's a compact setup. You could always do that with a mininova too as the controller, then have multiple synths sequenced by the MPC. Even better if you can route the audio out from mininova to your ins on the MPC. Then you can sample mininova and twist up sounds on the MPC plus you only need a pair of outs to a compact PA or powered speaker.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundclick Wormhelmet

YouGots2Chill wrote:I wanna get a compact synth for my studio/mobile set-up but i just dont know which one.My top picks as of now are

Novation mininova
Roland System-1.
For more rootsy(old school sounding) Hip Hop I would recommend the System-1(Can do nice juicy analog funk bass/Classic sounds easily) over the digital sounding Mininova, but for polyphonic use you will be restricted to the System-1 Hardware engine as all the Plug-outs thus far for it are monophonic and it is only 4 note poly max with the System-1 own engine bear in mind.

I just got a microbrute - couple of hundred quid real analog synth und you can use it as a controler (usb, keyboard and wheels midi out) - it's a great bit of kit, it will put a smile on your face :-) there are plenty of great VSTs, but it's nice to have something non virtual !
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote:I just got a microbrute - couple of hundred quid real analog synth und you can use it as a controler (usb, keyboard and wheels midi out) - it's a great bit of kit, it will put a smile on your face :-) there are plenty of great VSTs, but it's nice to have something non virtual !
With my MiniBrute, I'm saving patches by iPhone pics. I have a good 30 presets in pictures now. You can draw them out on templates provided, but found storing them by picture was easier and very compact.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundclick Wormhelmet

I think the BassStation II would be really nice for hip hop.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”