Eve audio SC207 or SC205 + TS108 or Dynaudio BM5 mkIII

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

I am planning to buy new studio monitors. My budget is 1400 Euros for the pair.
After reading lots of reviews and forum threads i narrowed my choice to this three options:

Eve audio SC207 (1200 euros)
Eve SC205 + TS108 sub combo (1400 euros)
Dynaudio BM5 mk III (1040 euros)

The room is 4 to 4 meters (13ft to 13ft) with 3 meters high ceiling,so it's like 16m2
i will have the monitors close to a back wall (like 5 cm inner side to 15 cm outer side) angle facing towards triangle the listening position of 1 m from each in the center,
rear port was a major concern for me and was ruling out rear ported speakers,
but on most of the photos i've seen online users have them really close to a back wall,
i have 5cm stone wool acoustic panels behind the monitors and bass traps in the corners,

I mostly do electronic music (tech house, techno, progressive trance, chill out) so having a good tight and punchy bass is important to me,
i tend to work only on the monitors and kick in the sub on and off just for check and maybe for occasional listening,
so the larger speaker SC207 than extends lower than the SC205 maybe will suit me better there,
on the other hand will i gain the same results on the sc205 in the mid and high area as sc207 and than have an wider range of spectrum down low with adding the ts108,
also there is the new Dynaudio BM5mk III that i cannot find any online opinions yet so any experiences for them are welcomed.

I know that probably would be best to test them on my own ears but in place where i live i dont have an retailer shops that brings this three options so i don't have a chance to hear them and i need to order my choice,
Unfortunately i cannot order more pairs and just try and return the one i dont like ,
so pretty much i will shop based on reviews,
also buying second hand is not an option for me,

so i need an advice regarding your experiences with some of them? which would be best for my needs? and which one translates better? which one is a good tool for mixing, producing, are they accurate , are they revealing and honest?
do they sound pleasant for listening? any fatigue?

i'm opened for suggestions as well about other speakers , but as i've read so far that probably these are the best for the buck at the moment,

looking forward for your responses and recommendations!
Thanks

hello,
anyone with experience with this monitors?
thanks

bump

i might suggest you for techno focal alpha 80 much cheaper and much easier to do electronic beats with it!

hi lacandon,
thank you for replying,
i had an eye on the Focal Alpha line especially the Alpha 65,
i cannot fit the Alpha 80 in my working space as it's too big for placement,
the Alpha 65 is the size of an 8inch speaker and i can fit those,
the thing is there is no retailer here for Focal so i have to drive a long way to demo or buy them,
i assume you have the Alpha 80? do you find them honest,reveling?
did you had a chance to listen to the Alpha 65 as well?your thoughts on them?
at the moment still undecided between the
1. Eve audio SC207 (1200 euros)
2. Dynaudio BM5 mk III (1010 euros)

hello
i also have a really attractive deal on the Dynaudio BM5 MKII for 600 euros a pair,
so anyone can share their experiences about them?
also opinions on
1. Eve audio SC207 (1200 euros)
2. Dynaudio BM5 mk III (1010 euros)
thanks

My recommendation is to forget about BM5 mkIII and get BM6A, since they should be around the same price or a little higher. Not Mk2, which are not as good, and much cheaper. BM6A are very high quality, very low distortion, accurate, amazingly dependable monitors. If it sounds right on BM6A, it sounds right everywhere, and I'm not just saying it. That's the bottom line. It's also by far the "safest" choice, with a design that has had a solid track record for over 17 years.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

Shy wrote:My recommendation is to forget about BM5 mkIII and get BM6A, since they should be around the same price or a little higher. Not Mk2, which are not as good, and much cheaper. BM6A are very high quality, very low distortion, accurate, amazingly dependable monitors. If it sounds right on BM6A, it sounds right everywhere, and I'm not just saying it. That's the bottom line. It's also by far the "safest" choice, with a design that has had a solid track record for over 17 years.
hi Shy,
thank you for joining in,
i know the BM6A, i did worked on them some years ago (in a friends studio for extended period) and i really loved the design, the sound, and the transparency.
unfortunately i cannot find them anywhere near me to buy (including 3-4 hours trips),
no one has them in stock,
so my options according to the budget (1200 euros for pair) are ether grab a deal on the
1..Dynaudio BM5 mk II (600 euros pair)
or go between
2. Eve audio SC207 (1200 euros)
3. Dynaudio BM5 mk III (1010 euros)

Strange, too bad. If there's an option to order and just wait longer, I'd pick that. BM5A (mk1) is good but very limited in power and low frequency response, in comparison. BM5A mk2 has much more power and low frequency extension, but worse sound quality and balance overall. But I haven't used either of them enough to comment about how accurate or inaccurate results you'd get. I haven't checked mk3, but the "Class D amplifier with DSP crossover" doesn't seem promising at all to me, it seems more like extreme cost-cutting. Same with the Eve monitors. BM6 mkIII also has worse amplifiers than BM6A's, but at least it has an analog crossover.

I wouldn't pay such a premium price on monitors I haven't listened to which have class D amplifiers and digital crossovers, A/D D/A, etc. Go with proven, "veteran" monitors that have high quality "traditional" amplifiers and circuitry (which don't have design driven mainly by cost-cutting considerations). I've checked some good (some would say great) monitors by ATC, Focal, Adam, B&W, Genelec (all of them make reliable stuff) as well as way too overpriced brands not worth mentioning. I'd recommend checking those. Personally, none of those monitors had the unique characteristics that make BM6A extremely reliable for me.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”