Get rid of high voltage eletric fence pulses into preamps?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Okay, with the symptom of 'lights dimming' while tools are used, I would offer up there is either too much on one circuit or more possibly, they are on the same phase. (Did someone mention that already?) Could be all that is needed is to swap the breakers around to make sure they are on a separate phase then.

I'm assuming a farm to be on a 3 or 4 phase system here. If they somehow managed to build off an old 2 phase system, you may be limited to how much you can do.

Thanks.
yes, my flat is two phase only - but would be surprised if farm was less than 3-phase.
In sweden everything is 3-phase 380V, and one phase to ground is 230V.

And I tried all outlets to see if pulses were different/less sounding.
But that was when I only had idea it's an electric fields issue - maybe I should try again with a guitar connected.

But I don't think the pulses are distributed over electrics, really.
If so it would come through in all kinds of other instruments too, like I've mentioned.
Even acoustics, not using magnetic based pickups are fine.
Mikes with balanced signal are fine too.
So only two guitars, of five+P-bass - are a real problem.

But a new barn is built right now, and new electrics is made in a few weeks from now.
So it might go away by itself.

If the pulses are on the neighbourhood electrical grid that could mean that the domestic supply in your flat is a transmitter for the pulses. They are inside the cage in that case.

In the early 00s, I had some extra TV antenna points put in my house - this involved several coax lines coming down from a splitter point in the ceiling to wall sockets. After the install, I suddenly had fine diagonal stripes on my TV in my living room (analog). These disappeared when I turned of my DAW in the far end of the house. I put the DAW's power line on a power filter and it improved things a little.

Seems like the new coax cable near my computer were picking up RFI from my computer and spreading it all over the house via the expanded coax network. At one point I tested something - I pulled the coax out of the back of the main TV: The snow on the screen had the same striped pattern when the computer was on! I didn't even need to come in via the coax from the aerial, the coax network was now transmitting RFI throughout my house. This all went away with digital TV but was quite a pain until then.

Noise or sudden fluctuations in the electrical supply at your flat could be the proximal cause of your noise issues. Proabably something that could be measured with a power tester of some kind.
"I got a car battery and two jumper cables that argue different."
Rust Cohle

Good input, thanks.

Electric distribution here is about to change, so it might make a major difference on everything.

About TV cable and such I also remember funny things happening at some sites I lived. People connect equipment without proper isolation transformers so there are ground loops creating all kinds of issues.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”