Dave Smith Pro 2 users?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

its quite the norm to post in the hardware section when you are giddy when you have purchased a new synth(i do it everytime) but jeesh this synth is incredible,totally surprised by its power,sound and ease of use,i can recommend this one if you are the fence

im all for digital oscillators as well,they expand this synths tonal range massively allowing really mellow tones as well as aggressive growls and heavy bass,after being a total analog oscillator snob i can totally see dave smiths positive attitude to digital

anyone else got one?
live 11 / Arturia collection / many Softube plug ins / thats it

Getting a Pro 12 is still a possibility at some point - lovely instrument.

aMUSEd wrote:Getting a Pro 12 is still a possibility at some point - lovely instrument.
yeah totally,i might have gone the prophet 12 route but £1300 was my absolute max for spending this time around,i would definitely check the pro 2 before you get the p12 as it lacks the pro 2 sequencer :tu:

Yeah but for me the polyphony is more useful - I do more pads and soundscapes etc than sequences (and anyway I have plenty of options for sequencing sounds).

I sat with a P12 for about a half hour last week. Going through sounds- gushing at the quality- but like you aMUSEd, I def need more polyphony for pads. The P12 is great- but I was able to hit the ceiling with it and that was not even using the sustain pedal. I feel like if DSI comes out with a P16- that will be the machine
Jason Schoepfer
Rocky Mountain Sounds
http://www.rockymountainsounds.com

aMUSEd wrote:Yeah but for me the polyphony is more useful - I do more pads and soundscapes etc than sequences (and anyway I have plenty of options for sequencing sounds).
I make soundscapes too, but I find polyphonic analog/hybrid* too expensive - If I want multiple notes at once / or overlap, I'll just layer (midi monitor on in DAW, for multiple channels/synths) or use reverb and/or delay.

* I'm not saying that the Pro12 (or Pro8, Code 8, or Schmidt :D , ...) is not worth it, I just don't have the budget. :)

aMUSEd wrote:Getting a Pro 12 is still a possibility at some point - lovely instrument.
I've played both... If the Prophet 12 had the filters from the Pro 2, I would likely get it.

T-CM11 wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Yeah but for me the polyphony is more useful - I do more pads and soundscapes etc than sequences (and anyway I have plenty of options for sequencing sounds).
I make soundscapes too, but I find polyphonic analog/hybrid* too expensive - If I want multiple notes at once / or overlap, I'll just layer (midi monitor on in DAW, for multiple channels/synths) or use reverb and/or delay.

* I'm not saying that the Pro12 (or Pro8, Code 8, or Schmidt :D , ...) is not worth it, I just don't have the budget. :)
Hm, I do a lot of ambient/soundscape stuff and it's funny, I never think about massive voice count on a synth like the Prophet 12. With what you can do with those twelve voices... I don't think I'd ever want more... of that. Now for a simpler sound where the tonal variation is the centerpiece, then some extra voices are nice. I also have the tendency to run an audio looper to build up giant pads anyway, often using several instruments.

I don't think I'd go for the Prophet 12 though. To me the extra filters of the Pro 2 are more interesting. I heard a demo of it the other day that really got me going. If they do a desktop version, I'd have a hard time not trying to find a way to get that one in my studio. :oops:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

You won't regret is,best mono I have ever had,the filters are just incredible

I'm crazy about the Pro 2. Just a tremendous sonic lab. The sequencer and Modular interfacing put it over the top for me. I'm having a lot of fun creating sounds.

Bumping this olde thread because I picked up a Pro 2 today!

I'd just returned 2 Sub37s due to poor build quality, and wasn't 100% sure what to try instead. I was very tempted by Prologue 8 voice, but after much deliberation I went for a Pro 2.

First full day with it, and I'm impressed by how versatile and great sounding it is.

Congrats! I have had a prophet6 for about a year now and it is used daily. All controllers and switches still feel brand new and completely solid. Incredible build quality here. If I ever find 4 grand laying around I will go for the prophet x. <searching couch cushions>

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”