Korg MS20M kit + SQ1 sequencer

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mztk wrote:would be cool to get together a 'modular for the people' project,
using cheaper, readily available parts, to get a system going on
the cheap - it must be possible to build some sort of VCO for
less than 100$ in parts?!!

anyway, most beginners will be delighted to get some filthy
farty analogue monster mono going built out of junk parts.
it might not enter the realms of modular nirvana, but it's a
starting point. what do you reckon?
http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/inde ... 89&VPH=895

This one is not bad and depending on how you power and panel it, you can keep it under $50. It doesn't track very well over a wide range. And, it is lacking in the "girth" factor. But, it is a perfectly functional VCO and fairly straight forward to build.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote:

This one is not bad and depending on how you power and panel it, you can keep it under $50. It doesn't track very well over a wide range. And, it is lacking in the "girth" factor. But, it is a perfectly functional VCO and fairly straight forward to build.
I have been wanting to build something from MFOS but I havent yet. I am in the process of building a Synare analog drum right now. Other than that, have only built pedals.

SJ_Digriz, you a member over at Madbeans?

Daags wrote:... living on noodles for the next three or so weeks to pay for mine. ...
i see people say things like this and i just think... "i could never do that. It's hard enough for me to feel content with food as is." i know it's partially facetious when people say it, but i know people DO do these kinds of things.
Daags wrote:Pity it has to be like this, if it would be a general release I'd just take my time and save.
That's why i'm grumpy about the limited edition nature of it.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

yes I'm being euphemistic : ) ... in other words I'm going to be living super frugal. Which I do anyways since I'm on a low income as it is... but now I'll have to crank it up to maximum gear, so all non-essential items that i get once a week have to stop (i.e biscuits, bus tickets where I could talk a long walk instead, etc), and I'll start working my way through the freezer. But ya, i do have like 3 or 4 packets of ramen noodles in the cupboard so they will get used along the way ; ) I won't malnourish myself for this though - lest anyone think that : ) But yes, some serious belt tightening going on.

I wouldn't say I'm grumpy about it though. I mean, it's a drag, but it is what it is. I had money saved up that will account for a big chunk of the cost as well, and it took me ages to put that money aside. It's for unknown reasons like this that I saved it. So, you know, like I said earlier, I think if you started saving now you'd have a good chance of getting one by the time you've got the $1,200US/$1,600AU/€1,200 and if you hold on to it as it remains to be seen just how limited these things will actually be. Korg seem to be consistently releasing ms20 gear once a year, announced at NAMM each time. Wouldn't surprise me if there was another ms20 development next year. Eurorack modules maybe, (you heard it here first?) or re-issuing one of the kits, or who knows another kit with some new developments some how.

Sounds like a couple of the guys over at gearslutz are getting their ms20m's now! One guy said he got word that his arrived today (Wednesday) and another guy said he is expecting his tomorrow. Those guys got theirs from Sweetwater. Someone else mentioned that theirs was due sometime on February 23rd. (I think he ordered from American Musical).

Just wanted to share that here. :)

Sequent wrote:Sounds like a couple of the guys over at gearslutz are getting their ms20m's now! One guy said he got word that his arrived today (Wednesday) and another guy said he is expecting his tomorrow. Those guys got theirs from Sweetwater. Someone else mentioned that theirs was due sometime on February 23rd. (I think he ordered from American Musical).

thanks for the update Sequent :tu:

23rd would suit me better than the 18th (which is the current ETA for my retailer) since it would give me an extra payday ; )

Daags wrote:
Sequent wrote:Sounds like a couple of the guys over at gearslutz are getting their ms20m's now! One guy said he got word that his arrived today (Wednesday) and another guy said he is expecting his tomorrow. Those guys got theirs from Sweetwater. Someone else mentioned that theirs was due sometime on February 23rd. (I think he ordered from American Musical).

thanks for the update Sequent :tu:

23rd would suit me better than the 18th (which is the current ETA for my retailer) since it would give me an extra payday ; )
Do you mind me asking who your retailer is? Just curious... I'm also trying to figure out the paydays! :wink:

mine should arrive on Monday
:D
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

You bastards! :D :) :D

Only kidding of course. Congratulations!!! Please let us know how you get on with it and how everything goes. :party:

seamoss wrote: SJ_Digriz, you a member over at Madbeans?
hah, no ... never heard of that site. I'm mostly on Muffwigglers for DIY synth stuff.

EDIT: Ahhh .. for guitar stuff I've been at BYOC and modkits, among other just plane old electronics sites that have DIY subsections .. which almost always have a guitar pedal section.

Here's a video of one of the guys on Gearslutz assembling the one he received just the other day. The sound in the video is from the assembled unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1 ... LRoYHkXVaA

Sequent wrote:Here's a video of one of the guys on Gearslutz assembling the one he received just the other day. The sound in the video is from the assembled unit.

Nice, melodies from mars vibes : )
(reposted the link so it's viewable within the thread ; )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLRoYHkXVaA

SJ_Digriz wrote:

i've been seeing that for as long as i've had GS-mkII-the-second-wave :?
but it seems more like a drone machine - and i'm really not into geeky
flartglitch synthesis. *there will come a time* when i can feel settled
enough + have enough space to set up a bench/table and set aside
virtual proxys... :D
i downloaded all of Yves Yusson's site before he took the good stuff down, $
and have most of TomG's EFM pdf's+annotations...*plenty* to be getting on
with there!(also have a couple of shallow 12u cabs like you have in one of
your photos, and that's where it's all going)

i'm getting a bad feeling about this analogue revival thing: we're not going
to see companies getting stung and going under, and nobody wanting
analogues anymore, are we? (oh yes please. i remember a mate walking in
and saying look i've just been *given this* - it was only the Roland System 100
keyboard with the other module... ah, those were the days...)(picking up
my MS-10 for 100quid...)

so, er, let's be honest here - after watching the ludicrous FM-/CM-
style Akai presentations on the other thread - do any of you people
by any chance suffer from 'i-see-i-want' syndrome? this is a whole
other level of victim-dom, quite separate from traditional 'gear
acquisition syndrome (since it comes in and barges quite respectable
aspirations clean out of the way, on a publisher's/manufacturer's whim).
you wait: then there is Cabin Fever, when you're stuck in front of a
wall of gear, in high summer, with no money, and your girlfriend's had
enough and she's f***ed off on holiday without you ...again. that one's
good.

mztk wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:

i've been seeing that for as long as i've had GS-mkII-the-second-wave :?
but it seems more like a drone machine - and i'm really not into geeky
flartglitch synthesis. *there will come a time* when i can feel settled
enough + have enough space to set up a bench/table and set aside
virtual proxys... :D
i downloaded all of Yves Yusson's site before he took the good stuff down, $
and have most of TomG's EFM pdf's+annotations...*plenty* to be getting on
with there!(also have a couple of shallow 12u cabs like you have in one of
your photos, and that's where it's all going)

i'm getting a bad feeling about this analogue revival thing: we're not going
to see companies getting stung and going under, and nobody wanting
analogues anymore, are we? (oh yes please. i remember a mate walking in
and saying look i've just been *given this* - it was only the Roland System 100
keyboard with the other module... ah, those were the days...)(picking up
my MS-10 for 100quid...)
The MFOS VCO is more than a drone VCO. It does actually track ok for a few octaves. The YuSynth stuff is pretty good. I've built most of his modules. But again, although that VCO is actually synth worthy .. it pales against a 921 or some of the other more advanced VCOs out there now.

My point was simply that you can build a VCO for under $100 .. but if you want a GOOD VCO you can DIY for anything from $100 -> $1000 or more USD. And that doesn't account for paneling or power.

I just found the notion that someone was passing off that they could build a quality 2 VCO synth with 50+ 1/4" jacks, 50+ knobs, have the pcb traced, build the panel, 40 or so pots, all the proper components for FM, PWM, filters, adsrs etc ... for around $250 is pretty much a fairy tale.

I still think $1100 is a pretty good deal for that synth especially if you toss in the sequencer.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”