compact keyboards

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking for a compact keyboard to save desk space.

Right now I have an Axiom 25, and that's too big for my purposes. I don't use the pads or knobs. I do use the keyboard, pitch/mod wheels and octave buttons. But I don't use it as much as I use my Maschine MK2... which is off to the side instead of front and center. And that just doesn't make sense.

Ideally I'd want something small enough to sit in front of, or possibly behind/above the Maschine, without getting in the way.

I'm thinking about a KMI K-Board or QuNexus, Korg MicroKey 25, or M-Audio Keystation Mini. Any recommendations?

I have both a Korg Microkey 37 and 61, they're great. Much bigger keys and better feel than other mini-sized keys.
Always look on the bright side of life

Now that I have more accurate dimensions than Amazon provides (compare), it doesn't look like I could comfortably fit the Microkey in front of the Maschine without making more changes to my setup.

(My Maschine is on a DJ stand that's keeping it at about a 45 degree angle, so I can easily see the displays. If I put a Microkey in front of it where it is now, the Microkey would be hanging off the front edge of my desk just a little and obscuring the bottom buttons of the Maschine.)

The Keystation Mini is narrow enough and shallow enough to fit in that space. Of course the K-Board is even smaller. Either of those two should work easily.

I'm not completely averse to changing the layout though; I plan to build a hutch/monitor stand to organize the mess that is my desk anyway. But I want to plan it around equipment rather than the other way around.

I just picked up a Korg Nanokey 2 to use with my laptop....for the £25 it cost I can't complain.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”