New Controller keyboard: Nectar LX88

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'll have to be honest. I had never heard about this company before I read about the LX88. It looks like developers are starting to focus a bit more on 88 key controllers. Judging from forum talk around the internet, there's definitely a market for it. The recently released Keylab 88 supports that fact.

I wonder how this will fare, especially when it comes to the keybed. The amount of knobs and faders seems alright to me although the latter looks very plastic and fragile. The old school digital display is terrible as well.
However, the DAW integration seems extensive and it may actually work fine in those areas.
But €289 for an 88 key controller. What kind of build quality will you get for as little money as that :?:

I don't think it makes sense at all to have a semiweighted action when you want 88 keys, after all it's for playing piano and the keys should be weighted.

Also I wouldnt trust anything with 88 keys for that price, must be the same keys m-audio uses in their cheap 88 keys controller.

For me the best option for a good 88 keys keyboard with good weighted keys are Yamaha and casio digital pianos.
dedication to flying

The location of the pitch & mod wheels,is absurd...I'll have to pass on this one.

Yeah, it looks rather breakable dooesn't it :wink: I didn't even notice that is was a semi weighted keybed - absolutely pointless :roll: this is killing my interest in the board
as for the Modwheel/Pitch Bender, I thinks it's a current fad placing them where it's as annoying as possible. I use both controls a lot and the arm position is far from natural when playing here. Oddly, the keylab 88 and Akai MPK 88 does it too.
Why?? :roll:

rod_zero wrote:I don't think it makes sense at all to have a semiweighted action when you want 88 keys, after all it's for playing piano and the keys should be weighted.

Also I wouldnt trust anything with 88 keys for that price, must be the same keys m-audio uses in their cheap 88 keys controller.

For me the best option for a good 88 keys keyboard with good weighted keys are Yamaha and casio digital pianos.
If only those weighted don't make the keys rebounce slow to a crawl that is, which majority 88 keys in the market disappoints. If they can make something that plays better than the absolute bottom of barrel m-audio 88es they'll get my money (that's a really low bar to be fair...)

softska wrote:
rod_zero wrote:I don't think it makes sense at all to have a semiweighted action when you want 88 keys, after all it's for playing piano and the keys should be weighted.

If only those weighted don't make the keys rebounce slow to a crawl that is, which majority 88 keys in the market disappoints. If they can make something that plays better than the absolute bottom of barrel m-audio 88es they'll get my money (that's a really low bar to be fair...)

88 keys Controllers disspoint, digital pianos have much better keys, specially at around 1000 USD.
dedication to flying

You'd be surprised how many composers at VI-Control forum are totally up that alley (88 semiweighted keys)!

EvilDragon wrote:
You'd be surprised how many composers at VI-Control forum are totally up that alley (88 semiweighted keys)!

Well it does make sense for composing, playing strings with weighted keys does feel strange.
dedication to flying

Well for me it does make sense, especially with all the knobs and faders. I use an M-audio 88, but I miss more controlls.

I like having access to all octaves without having to use a switch (and it's good for key-switching Kontakt too).

Thanks for starting this discussion guys!
We had a LOT of requests for an 88 note semi-weighted keyboard. In fact we got far more requests for semi-weighted than for hammer action.

The keybed is a custom design (as are all Nektar keybeds) and the controls are the same as the rest of the Impact LX series. The reason for the low price is because we aren't using that many controls and the display is very basic. Quality of the keybed and build have not been sacrificed.

If you have any specific questions, let me know. :)

Hi, I'm definitely interested in this. I do see the point in an 88 key semi-weighted/synth action because for certain VSTs it is ideal when playing in real-time.

I currently have the cheap M-Audio. My initial reaction was one of it being cheap but relatively cheerful........however now, after some sustained playing, I realise just how poor it is. It actually does sicken my happiness!!!!

So......I am interested in this and would love to hear more about the keybed. I would hope it is quite a few steps up from the likes of the M-Audio? Also, any idea when it will be released in Ireland/UK?
Last edited by stein67 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i can see the position of the wheels might be a little bit of a compromise. however, it would just be too far to the left otherwise. the only way it might present a problem is when using that bottom octave, but most of what resides there is not commonly used, nor is it much of a contortion either

i definitely think many would be interested in it being semi-weighted. there are a lot of benefits to having such a range without losing the feel of a synth board. however, i bet i'm the only one who wishes someone would make a mini-key version :o

stein67 wrote:.... the cheap M-Audio.... It actually does sicken my happiness!!!!
:lol:

and now it seems there's suddenly a market for 88 key semi weighted controllers. i honestly don't know what I'd do with such a thing.
Looks like I'm sticking to my current Kurzweil for now. If I want synth keys, I'm using my dx7 for controlling purposes. Nothing comes even close to the keybed here. Definitely the best synth keys of all time - made to be played! Unlike most instruments these days. (unless you spending more than €2000)

justin3am wrote:Thanks for starting this discussion guys!
We had a LOT of requests for an 88 note semi-weighted keyboard. In fact we got far more requests for semi-weighted than for hammer action.

The keybed is a custom design (as are all Nektar keybeds) and the controls are the same as the rest of the Impact LX series. The reason for the low price is because we aren't using that many controls and the display is very basic. Quality of the keybed and build have not been sacrificed.

If you have any specific questions, let me know. :)
I think for me semi weighted would be fine, I prefer it anyway and I don't agree that 88 keys = for piano, personally I use a wider range of octaves than my current keyboard allows and so have to transpose which is a pain, 88 keys gives room to spread out more musically.

Initially I wasn't sure about the MW/PB position but actually it does make sense given the width.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”